Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #50

Good morning to the group. It is cool outside this morning. We didn't even need the ac last night. It is going to get hot though all this week though it is much cooler in Indiana.

We have started packing and I am going to do most of mine today and get Fortune's stuff packed up except his meds, which I will put in before we leave. I am hoping the postal person doesn't deliver mail today so that I don't have to call and listen to excuses as to why they ignored the hold mail card.

We are having steak tonight with hash browns. Tomorrow is going to be something quick and easy for sure. The pot roast was pretty good but for some reason the gravy didn't thicken up so we had runny gravy or at least Jack did, I didn't eat gravy.

Jean: Do most of the congregation like what happens in summer? I would think if you don't as a whole that they would drop all the nonsense and even though they have a different service time not include the band. I think the corn salad sounds like it could be really adaptive to a lot of combinations. You could make it southwestern like you make it or just summer veggies with the corn being the prime ingredient, lots of stuff. I think it sounds really good. Does it look like it is going to be chilly while you are in MN? I checked gas prices in the towns we always get gas at on the way up to Indiana. Our gas is $3.17, the first place we stop is $3.25 then next is around $3.65 and gas in Indiana is basically $4.00!!! Sheesh.

Maggie: I have a lot of different bar snacks too. I buy Fiber One, Special K, and a couple others if I want snack bars. I don't eat them too much. I would get 4-5 club crackers and eat them instead. Sounds like you salad went down gangbusters. Glad everyone enjoyed it.

Gotta get the laundry in the dryer. Hav a great start to your week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is currently partly cloudy and windy with the temp at 72ºs here in the ♥-Land with 49% humidity. My : shows me down 2 pounds so I am keeping that the WW scale shows the same this evening. I should receive my walking person charm and will solder it onto my bracelet tonight when I get home. I am waiting patiently for the mail to bring my envelope charm. Tonight after WW we are meeting our teen friend at our favorite Mexican restaurant for a meal. I am thinking of ordering a bowl of Chili Verdi and some rice and making a couple small burritos out of that. I will have quite a bit left to bring home for a re-run at a later date.

Eating seeds from our birdfeeder where two beautiful Robin Red Breasts which was a sight to see. They are so pretty and are nested close by. Cecil won’t be catching one of those. Speaking of Cecil ~ he is being a total pest this morning. His dogs must be outside and he needs to join them.

DONNA FAYE I agree that recipe can be changed with adding other ingredients. Next time I make it I am thinking of adding some Julianne strips of Jicama and celery for I love “crunch”. Do you use cornstarch to thicken your gravy? I am sure you will have all your ducks in a row come time to depart on your adventure.

Hope all are having a lovely day.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's been a beautiful day in my neighborhood, although not especially warm. Our official church treasurer is gone for 3 weeks so it was just the secretary and myself counting this morning. She isn't nearly as fast so it took longer, but we did balance. Next week it will be me and the pastor's wife. He said it would be no problem because she used to work in accounting. Counting isn't the problem, it's putting the money in the right pot and finding the forms on the computer. I finally found the mistake in the gift shop checkbook and it was the accounting departments mistake, not mine, to the tune of $249.15. That will be deposited tomorrow. This afternoon I went to a P.E.O. meeting and just got home. I'm collecting checks for a luncheon in July, with the deadline June 30th. Of course people have signed up without paying their money so will have to make phone calls to get the money.

"Gma" -- Steak for supper! There are those of us who prefer the traditional church service so will most likely switch to Saturday night. My problem is that if we are working around the house, I don't pay attention to the time very well, then suddenly realize I don't have enough time to change clothes and get ready. When we did the survey last summer about going to just one service year around, some people wrote that if the contemporary service was eliminated they would go somewhere else, and the same with the traditional service. The worship committe is trying to combine both for the summer but it is more contemporary than traditional. Minnesota weather is kind of like Iowa; if you don't like it wait an hour or so and it will change. Our gas just went down to $3.66 from $3.98 last week. It came down a few cents at a time, but when it went up last time, it was by dimes and quarters.

Maggie -- I hope the WW scale will agree with your scale. Good luck! Enjoy your Mexican meal and young friend's company tonight!

I have to do a couple loads of laundry and get the gift shop deposit ready for tomorrow morning. Hope you all enjoy the rest of you day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It was really dark when I got up this morning and it finally rained hard around 9:00, for a half hour. It's a little brighter out but the forecast is for more rain. I have gift shop checks to take to the hospital and the deposit ready for the bank. If it's not raining there this afternoon, we will head to Sioux Falls for a 5:30 ball game.

I need to finish getting dressed and put my face on so I don't scare anyone I might see this morning. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Hot Tuesday

It is currently 82ºs with the humidity set at 60ºs this day in the ♥-Land at 3:10 p.pm. and all is well. Will is yanking up the carpet in the front room and going to lay down that good looking fake wood flooring like I have in my office and is in the dining room. After he finishes that the only places that have carpet will be his office and our bedroom. He will probably get around to putting it into his office and leave the bedroom carpeted.

I showed a “maintain” at WW last evening and am fine with that. I got my walking person charm and went to the jewelry store and got a silver jump ring so I could put it on my bracelet next to the bar bells and tennis shoe where it looks real good. The walking person is a sturdy little charm which is ⅞ inches tall (including the ring at the top) and inch ⅛ thick with WW stamped on it’s back or front if you want that to be. What is funny about this charm is that the side with the WW stamped on it is slimmer looking than the other side. I also got a jump ring for the little envelope in case the one that comes with it isn’t big enough to put on my bracelet. I am thinking of putting the envelope next to Tin Man who has heart. Tin Man is from the Wizard of oz and his arms and legs move and he is 1½ inches tall. It is one of my favorite charms for he has “heart” to see this weight loss effort through to the end. My bracelet now weighs 4.95 oz. of a pound. I bet ya when I get the newest addition it will bring the bracelets weight up to half a pound. I need to replace the butterfly which signifies my coming out of my fat cocoon. The jump ring wasn’t soldered and evidently and it pulled free and flew away and I don’t know where. However I do know where I can get another.

Not much else going on this day so I’ll say audios for awhile.

JEAN Dosen' it feel good that you found the mistake and it wasn't yours. Life gives us roses now and then doesn't it.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #6  

Evening girls. Just a quick post as I am trying to finish up and start packing some of the car this evening. Been real busy all day and never did get in here.

I probably won't get back in here until next Tuesday so keep the fires burning!!!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #7  

"Gma" -- Have a safe and wonderful time!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Warm Wednesday

We had a gulley washer though the night and it is in the high 60ºs with a bit of wind this day and a chance of rain. I slept clear through last night without waking up once until I got up this morning which is a very rare occasion for me. I really don’t like it that way because I woke up stiff because I stayed in one position all night.

Time has come for me to make a loaf of bread and I do believe today it will just be a plain loaf with some crunchy seeds on the top. I’ll have to remember to press them into the top after the machine has made a loaf and getting ready to bake it. The bread machine booklet gives a graph of how long each process takes so I can easily figure it out. We prefer the homemade bread without all those preservatives the store bought kind has in it so I really should make it more often than I do. I usually make it only when Will requests a loaf. I don’t eat much bread and he gets ciabata rolls and likes one toasted for his first meal.

Will just came in from being at the museum to pick up some stuff they had ordered for him and brought me a ger-prize. it is made of wheat and is a 6 strand square braid with wheat heads at the bottom and top. Here is a bit of history ~ Wheat-weaving originated as a “thank you” for a good harvest in the Mordiford region of England. Boys made them with the wheat heads at the top as well as at the bottom for their girlfriends who wore them in their hair. Girls made them without the heads at the top for their boyfriends who wore them on their belts. I have mine hanging on the wall here in my office. If I had long luscious hair I would wear it in my hair ~ but alas mine is so short it wouldn’t support it. He is getting a fresh shave of his head today and his beard trimmed for he is being interviewed on TV tomorrow about what he does at the museum. The director said that the TV folks were on the phone when Will went to pick up his ‘stuff’ and wanted to talk to him. They had “requested” him. I think it is neat that they requested him since he is only a volunteer one day a week down there. But he is an expert ~ so there you go.

DONNA FAYE Have a wonerful time and come back refreshed.

JEAN You are a lady of a few words this day.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers! We've had sunshine and clouds both today, along with the wind and cool temperatures. Bob is mowing and I'm determined not to fall asleep before it's time to go to bed. I think I was awake every hour on the hour last night, afaid I wouldn't wake up in time to meet the gals going to the meeting at 7:30 this morning. The hospital auxiliary meeting was interesting. We broke into sessions to exchange ideas, had lunch, and then was offered a tour of the Blue Bunny ice cream plant along with free ice cream afterwards. We walked through a couple dress/shoe shops and headed home. The gift shop I wanted to visit is now a consignment shop and I was bummed. One of the gals talks nonstop; a little of her goes a long way. I am tired!

Maggie -- I can almost smell your fresh bread baking! My "neice" was on the Steve Harvey ( ) show; she's had bad luck with finding a "good" man to date and he was going to help her. We knew when it would be on tv and was fun to watch. She did end up with a guy who fit her requirements and they had a dinner date in Chicago. They live fairly close to each other in CA so will be interesting to see if anything develops. Will you be able to tape Will's interview? I'm sure it will be interesting!

"Gma" -- Hope all is well with your travels! Have fun!

Susan -- What are you up to?

I think Bob is done mowing so will check on something for supper. Tomorrow I start in the church office; wish now I had said "no" but will do my time. Enjoy your evening!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #10  

Good afternoon ladies. In the 70s today.

We're waiting for the first Tropical Storm of the Season, Andrea, which is supposed to hit here around 2 pm today bringing several inches of rain, flooding and 40 mile an hour winds. Just so it doesn't strength to hurricane strength before hitting us. We are the landfall target.

Tonight is First Thursday Bee and Saturday is tea. Always fun.

I've been having a lot of pain in my right hand due to tendonitis so was using it as little as possible. Ice and Advil have helped a lot but my hand and fingers are still noticeably swollen.

Jean, I don't think "No" is a part of your vocabulary. You will surely have lots of stars in your crown in Heaven for all the volunteer work you do. I have a 4-legged alarm clock that wakes me up between 6 and 6:30 each morning. He doesn't take no for an answer but its good to have a routine for rising at the same time - and going to bed at the same time - every day. I've always been an early bird so I don't mind too much.

Maggie, I had never heard of wheat weaving before. That is a beautiful piece you have. Any chance of seeing Will's interview online? How's your garden doing?

Enjoy your day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Pleasant Thursday

I am a happy camper for yesterday the mail brought me that silver envelope from the Smithsonian® and I now have it on my bracelet. Inside is my “before” picture and the saying “Don’t exchange what you want most for what you want at the moment.” I have a couple of my other favorite sayings that I can rotate into it. It now weighs 4.78 ounces. I have one more charm to receive and it is a butterfly that I have ordered from Broderick to replace the one I lost awhile back. The one that I ordered now has rounded edges on its wings and is smoother and will not catch on things. I do believe it will be the last charm that I put on this bracelet. The young waitress at I-hop last evening wanted me to tell her what each charm stands for. I get asked on occasion what it all means and my answer is “My weight loss journey.” My envelope is very pretty with a little heart engraved on the tip of the closing flap.

Today the mail brought me my package from Chefs®. The grip it tongs are going to be great to use for toast and hot rolls and even on the BBQ. They are a nonstick coating on metal grips. I also received the ice drink spoons which are 8½ inches long and made of stainless and dishwasher safe. The other thing I ordered was a clear egg keeper that holds a dozen plus 2 eggs. Now if anything gets set on top of the eggs they won’t break. They included a sample of the Dark Chocolate AÇai with Blueberry pieces and a dollar off coupon. They are yummy and 3 points for an ounce and made by Brookside.

Will is at the museum and is going to be interviewed for the local TV and giving them visuals of what he does there. He isn’t going in “costume” but is wearing a nice long sleeve red cowboy shirt and his summertime cowboy hat. He looks sauvé and debonair.

SUSAN OUCH ~ I sure hope that pain in your right hand goes away quickly. Take it easy at your B's. They are going to give Will a disk with his interview on it so I will see it then which is nice since we don't get that channel on our TV. What we did plant in our garden is doing fine so far. The weather hasn't beaten the plants too much for we are trying to keep them protected. I'll keep that storm your expecting doesn't turn out to be a bad one.

JEAN It is nice that your neice had help finding a neat guy to date. Hopefully all works out well for her. Like I said Will's interview will be given to him. He said it went well this morning when he popped in just a bit ago before going to anoter appointment. When he gets back around 4:30 we will take a run out to see the buffalo and if any more babies have been born. Two more to be born soon. We noticed the bull is back from being "loaned" out. There is a fence between him and his harem.

DONNA FAYE hope yo are having fun out there.

Hope all are having a marvelous day.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am on my way to bed but wanted to check in here first. It was another cool day of some sunshine and some clouds, but NO rain. I was busy in the church office this morning. I had several bills come in the mail and was trying to type check vouchers for the gal to come in later and type the checks. She brings her baby with her; he's 8 months old and not happy sitting in the carrier. He gets crabby, whiney, and will complain/cry/scream the whole time. I know people on the phone can hear him in the background. On my way home I stopped at WW -- not a pretty sight! This afternoon I had coffee with my friend whose husband has cancer and dementia. She talked and I mostly listened.

Susan -- I hadn't heard anything about Andrea coming to visit. I hope the damage isn't too bad. I had to chuckle at your four legged alarm clock! I am an early bird too, and really like to get my chores done in the morning if at all possible. I hope your hand feels better soon.

Maggie -- Are you going to start another charm bracelet for your other arm? I was surprised al all of your charms, and what they mean to you! The egg keeper sounds like a good idea. I can only stack two cartons on top of each other. I hope there were new babies for you to see today.

I'm tired and heading to bed. Hope you all have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We started the day with sunshine but the clouds have moved in again. It's supposed to rain off and on all weekend. Bob wants to go to the lake tomorrow and I want to stay home and get some things done around here.

Bob is working on his tractor this afternoon so I have no idea when he will be home. He wanted to finish it today. Hope you all enjoy your evening and have a nice weekend. They go by too fast!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Beautiful Saturday

It is 72ºs as I type and they say it will get up into the low 80º area. No wind this day so Will was able to spray for unwanted things in the lawn and get it mowed nice and neat. Boy O boy did we pick up trash that blew into our yard from businesses downtown. I keep the silk flowers and leaves and make little bouquets to gift folks with. The flower shop that the silk ones come from has evidently put the ones that come on the wind into their trash bin and the wind lifts them out and brings them down the street and down the back alley into our back yard. Quite a trip they make. Cecil probably likes chasing the silk plants in the wind.

I have not much planned this day besides to make a new loaf of bread. My yeast was evidently too old and the last loaf was on the “heavy” side and did not rise as much as it should have. I get the kind of yeast in a jar that is “best for bread machines” and keep it in the fridge but it does go bad after a time. It had to be the yeast for all my other ingredients were fresh. Will likes it though to make toast with so it isn’t a total waste.

JEAN No I won’t be making another bracelet for this one has “my story” on it but I can think of more charms that I see that will work with the weight loss theme so I may just get them and add them to the bracelet. I especially want my “bad habit rabbit” and my “barely bear it all bear”. I have a lovely gold Italian Figaro chain bracelet that lives on my right wrist that Will bought for me years ago. No more charm bracelets for me. I am sure glad that when I started this one I had the foresight to get a nice hefty chain that would support this many charms. You can see in that picture I sent how large the chain is. I am looking for a silver walking person charm to replace that pewter one that WW gave me. It looks OK on the bracelet but I would prefer a silver one.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #15  

Good evening, ladies.

Andrea hit Florida instead of us and by the time it got here it was just sporadic hard rain - 5 inches here. I'm very thankful for that.

Glory, Irene and I had a lovely time at tea today and this was my off plan day. I don't think I'll do it again because I've had an upset stomach, headache and light headedness both times. I'll go to tea but I'll ask for just a scoop of chicken salad, ham salad and pimento cheese for my tea. They said I was really carb sensitive and this just goes to prove it. I won't be eating anything else today.

Jean, I don't think I could deal with the baby when I was trying to work. What are you going to do it if you don't go to the lake?

Maggie, how nice to get silk flowers delived right to your yard! How did you like Will's interview?

Have a great evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote