Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default The Pain in the Arse of Weightloss...Literally

So, as I continue my downward trend on the scale, I have something that is treading upwards...my lower back and butt pain. WHAT?! Seriously? I've dropped 55 pounds. I am doing proper form when exercising (at least according to the trainer at the gym.) I am properly warming up and stretching..WHY am I hurting MORE?!

This morning, the pain was unbearable! By far the worst! So...curious minds ponder and curious minds find things like Google. And not all that surprisingly, found next to nothing in the medical world about it. But, I did find several, several, SEVERAL complaints from people stating the same problem I am having! And guess what...it is apparently RATHER COMMON! And NO ONE knows this!!!!

It seems that when you lose a large amount of weight, and even more so if quickly (I am in that category even though I deny it. 55 pounds in less than a year is rather significant), your body has to re-learn how to hold itself up. Even if you are doing core exercises (read ab and back strength training here), it takes months to build up the proper support you need to substain the new you. As you lose weight, you start standing up taller...something you had not been doing, muscles being used that once were not.

This is something doctors don't tell you. They say losing weight will decrease back pain, not cause it! In fact, they really leave out the fact that weight loss is essentially body-fat percentages being reduced, which isn't just fat, but also cushioning! With reduced body fat, your body loses the cushioning effect of body fat in places such as your buttocks and hips. Reduced cushioning in your buttocks may cause discomfort when sitting on hard surfaces and may affect spinal alignment.

GAH!

I guess I will be planning a trip to a doctor or chiro in the near future. I just didn't see this coming. I knew weightloss was hard, but never knew it would be such a PAIN IN THE ARSE!

Anyone else?
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow, that's really interesting. I"m sorry you're having this pain! I've had it before but for me, it's stress induced. If I can't comfort myself with food and stuff my emotions down with food, they're out there in the open to bother me and to have to deal with. I recommend a book called Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno. My husband has had years of chronic back pain to the point he couldn't walk!!! and this book cured him. He still gets pain once in a while but he reads the book again and it kind of brain washes you to get over the problem. He has colleagues at work who have read it and it helps them. It has also helped me.

Sorry, that's the best suggestion I can offer. I hope you get some relief soon.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #3  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

My prolonged back injury was one of the factors that have driven my weight loss. Luckily, I've been in physical therapy while losing so my core has been getting stronger and stronger. I know how bad back pain is - that sucks that you're going through it because of your weight loss!! I would definitely recommend some medical intervention to get you on the path to strengthening your core!! I hope you feel better soon.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #4  

Thanks lucky

Ultimately, I am not all that concerned about it. After a few hours I loosen up and it is just a slight throb. Not the usual back pain I was once accustomed to that NEVER eased up! It won't stop me from getting out and exercising. Basically, I am more amused than anything. Here doctors and experts say this, this, and this but seems they keep leaving that, that, and that out! Not that it would change my mind about the fact I need and want to lose weight, but it would at least be nice to of had that information and been informed of the possibility! I find it I am aware it may happen, I am less likely to care, such as the hair loss thing. I knew about that, and really, am not upset that my hair has thinned a tad. Had I not known...well...I dunno. But I like information. I'd rather too much than not enough and it seems all these "experts" assume otherwise. I think that is just plan out rude.

pupmom - sorry about your chronic issues. I plan on making an appointment, just to make sure I don't have something more severe going on but like mentioned above, it isn't the normal pain I used to have. It lessens as the day goes on. And I just wish I had been informed it *might* happen. Love the thought of PT for core strengthening though! Need to maybe look into that....

Last edited by zoesmom; 06-04-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #5  

Thats interesting piece of information thanks for sharing . I hope your pain goes away and u feel better soon !
Meenaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I just purchased a special pillow to use while flying (I fly a lot for work) to relieve pressure on my tail bone. I found I couldn't recline the airplane seats without pain in that area. I never had that problem when I was heavier. Less padding now.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Although the simplest answer is not always the right one it usually is.

My guess would be that what ever you're doing for exercise is causing the problem. Most trainers at commercial gyms have no idea what good form is.

Your theory about the body needing to retrain itself makes no sense, at all. Carrying around less weight will not cause back pain. I don't care what the internet says.

What kind of exercises is your trainer having you do, for how long, and for how often?

My advice would be to:

A) Go see a good chiropractor and/or MD
B) Take two weeks off from any exercise outside of brisk walking
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #8  

John - I actually have an appointment with a chiro on Thursday. I suspect my trainer knows good form. While not he is a physical therapist, the gym I attend is geared towards individuals with varying degrees of injuries and disabilities and all the trainers there have walls upon walls of degrees and certificates indicating these individuals specialize in sport injuries and disabilities. If it matters any, I NEVER hurt during or after a session with him. In fact, evil confession time, I haven't lifted weights in a week now. The back pain is...odd. It hurts first thing in the morning, but as the day progresses, improves or ceases to exist. It isn't the pulled muscle kind of pain. The days I don't exercise it hurts to high hades. The days I do exercise, it doesn't hurt at all. I exercise almost daily, in some shape form or fashion. Only reason I wasn't doing weights the past week is I have been focusing more on increasing how many miles I can get under my belt when running, so I have taken replaced my weight time with cardio time. I never hurt when running or after, but I suspect that could possibly be the culprit.
but it is important to point out once more, I NEVER hurt on the days I exercise. It is the days I don't.

For example, Monday I woke up a tad sore in the tailbone/lower back area. Within 15 minutes I was fine. I did NOT exercise on Monday due to a mild stomach bug of some sort. Tuesday I woke up in the worse pain I can recall in some time. As the day progressed, the pain abaited significantly. Today, I woke up, and no pain at all.

Doesn't sound like a pulled muscle to me.

However...annie...I took your suggestion and bought a special pillow yesterday. Maybe that is why I feel no pain today?

In any case...feeling fine today. And as previous stated, ultimately I am not ALL that concerned about it, certainly amused and certainly curious, especailly considering I never had back pain previous to weight loss, but not too concerned. At least, not yet
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

With the additional information I would tend to agree it does not seem to be caused by the exercise.

Hopefully the chiro can get you sorted out.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #10  

I was having similar problems and all the doc did was give me medication to mask the pain. I got tired of that really quickly and went to the chiro. Turns out one leg is nearly 1/2 shorter than the other and that was throwing my back out of alignment. He prescribed a lift for my shoe and I'm now pain free.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote