View Poll Results: How do you regard vinegar and vinegary-tasting foods?
Love all kinds of vinegars and vinegary foods - and they help me eat more veggies 13 54.17%
Like most vinegar/vinegary things, or at least can eat them without gagging 9 37.50%
Neutral or Other (Explain) 0 0%
Have a really tough time with vinegary stuff, I can eat maybe one or two things with a vinegar taste 1 4.17%
Vinegar makes me sick/I couldn't choke it down 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #1  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Question What are your feelings about vinegar and vinegary foods?

As well as being a FatChick, I'm a picky eater refugee from an adult picky eaters message board no longer in existence.

On that board, I started a thread, which drew much response among picky eaters, regarding vinegar and vinegary foods. Pickles, mustard, mayonnaise, vinaigrette salad dressings, and anything else you can think of.

So I thought I'd ask this question here among the Veggie Challenged. What are your preferences/aversions with regard to vinegar/vinegary? I'm posting a poll along with this.

Thanks for your input!
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #2  
Viva Cristo Rey!

The way the replies are running thus far, I'm surmising people who respond have more issues with veggies themselves than with vinegar taste. I'm bothered by both.

Hope to get more replies so the trend is more certain.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #3  

Vinegar = YUCK!
I have heard about Apple Cider Vinegar being a sort of cure all for health, and I was supposed to start taking it, but I can't get over the smell!

Certain smells agitate me: Vinegar and Bleach!
Ijustcant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #4  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Wonder if it has something to do with pH! Vinegar is acidic, and bleach is alkaline - and both are often used for cleaning. I've heard that vinegar kills germs as well as bleach and is safer - though I've also heard some say it's not quite as effective.

Point is, though bleach is more overtly hazardous, could it be that those of us with a vinegar aversion are genetically wired to protect our bodies from ingesting something with the wrong pH?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #5  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I usually drink a capful of apple cider vinegar each morning for the supposed health benefits.

I like vinegar-based foods, like pickles, pickled cauliflower, olives, and pickled peppers.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #6  
Viva Cristo Rey!

I'm definitely in the minority on this forum, and in society as well with my aversion to vinegar. When I went to vote in the poll, the only reason I didn't choose the most extreme response that it makes me sick, was that technically I consume a little vinegar in my salad dressing or in barbecue sauce.

But bear in mind it has to be a mild salad dressing where creaminess and/or cheese overrides the vinegariness! Pretty much all Bleu Cheese (favorite), Creamy Ranch or Creamy Italian.

And the list of condiments I can't deal with could wrap around the Earth a time or two - pickles, vinaigrettes, mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup (only under duress and only a little bit), any kind of vinegary "salad" such as egg salad, pasta salad, tuna salad (I also hate tuna but that's for another thread).

So, basically I'm a picky eater and vinegar is singled out for super-intense hatred.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/222/150

I mostly enjoy veggies that are pickled such as pickles, sauerkraut(which is the best if you can get it from a German deli), and cauliflower. Vinegar based dressing and I don't get along too well unless its not the main flavor component. Just got try things til you know what you like and don't like. Who knows there may be something with a mild enough flavor that you enjoy.
Gaarasslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #8  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

I like most things with vinegar; some things pickled, dressings and anything with vinegar added, meats cooked in vinegar and salt vinegar flavoured chips. My husband is the complete opposite and hates most things with vinegar.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #9  
Viva Cristo Rey!

I guess people pretty much love it or hate it.

Last edited by Skinnyminnie Wannabe; 05-19-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #10  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Height: 5'4"

I've cultivated a taste for vinegary food over the past few years because it helps distract me from my first love: anything creamy and/or starchy. (Just today, I bought pickled lime relish from an Indian grocer to pep up dull frozen veggies like green beans.)
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote