Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Junk food detox day #5

Last week I decided to do a 4-week junk food detox. I honestly thought I wasn't "addicted" to junk food nor did I have any "issues" with it. Last weekend I hung out with my teeny tiny friend and we had a discussion about junk food.

I asked her, how do you say "no" to junk food? She said "I just say no". I said "but when you see it don't you want it?". She said "Honestly, I've been saying no for so many years I don't even think about it anymore".

She suggested in my case that I choose a timeframe to completely cut out all junk food to get over the addiction to it. Then she said it would be WAY easier to say no to it. I decided this sounded like a good idea so since Wednesday I have completely cut out all junk food and have set myself a timeframe of 4 weeks.

It's actually not that hard to be honest. What is most alarming though is how much of a habit it is for me. When I get a coffee everyday I usually just have 1 Timbit. Sometimes I have a donut if I've had a "bad" day. Friday nights I'll pick up a small bag of chips and coke because "it's Friday". This turns into weekdays too like "oh Survivor is on, it would be great to have some chips and pop and watch Survivor".

Now that I have completely stopped any junk food I actually feel a million times better. This may be just psychosomatic, but my mood feels way more even, and I feel good about myself mentally. I'm finally not disappointing myself every day by eating junk and feeling guilty.

I'm on day #5 today, but if anyone wants to join me for a 2-week or 4-week detox please post here and we can support each other!!
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Great job, Beathing Space! Keep it up!
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #3  

You are doing awesome, Breathing Space!! I gave up all junk food 10 months ago and I feel amazing!! The wildest I get? I make roasted chickpeas for a snack, yep *wild* one I am!!! The calories can still add up so I have to be careful but it's not a carb-craving, binge inducing snack. It's a snack and it's over, if that makes any sense.

I'm so proud of you!! And jealous of your friend! I hope I can mentally get to the place she is. I'm so very conscious of saying no all of the time. It's "easy" to do to a point, I want the weight off more than I want the junk. But still, I have to be very careful of mindless eating.

Can't wait to read about your continued success!!

Last edited by elvislover324; 06-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck ... what constitutes junk food?

French fries? Potatoe chips? Kraft Mac and Cheese? Soda?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck ... what constitutes junk food?

French fries? Potatoe chips? Kraft Mac and Cheese? Soda?
Good question! I sort of think of this as my "phase 1" so "junk" I have decided is chips and anything typically sugar-laden like pop, donuts, cake, candy. Something like mac and cheese or even pizza is okay RIGHT NOW. I'm not saying forever, but for the purposes of this I'm not considering that "junk" in this phase. I will get to those later.

I guess mainly it's the sugar and chips I'm really concerned about right now.

I can't believe how good I feel already, although soooooooo tired. I've been sleeping in until noon and this morning had a hard time getting up at 10:30 am! It may just be coincidence but I wonder if this has something to do with it?
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathingSpace View Post
I can't believe how good I feel already, although soooooooo tired. I've been sleeping in until noon and this morning had a hard time getting up at 10:30 am! It may just be coincidence but I wonder if this has something to do with it?
It's possible that with the elimination of sugar your're feeling less energetic. If this is the case it should pass relatively quickly. My guess is that they're not related.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote