Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/180/150

Height: 5'9

Default Tips needed for making the oatmeal a little more tasty

So, got thru day 3 of my restart on medifast after a weekend off. I already feel better. I got my energy back and an feeling positive again. I'm waiting on my next order to arrive. Right now I only have oatmeal left. Not my favorite medifast meal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the oatmeal a little more appetizing?
angeleyes24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202.2/147.6/130

Height: 5'2

What kind do you have? I have blueberry and I love it. Sometimes I add truvia, almond milk, or a little bit of walden farms strawberry syrup but I also like it as is. There are recipes you can make with oatmeal...muffins and stuff, check out the recipe thread on the top of this board!
Andi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Soak it in apple juice.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I don't do medifast so I am not sure what you can and cannot have, but I use honey and peanut butter in mine.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #5  

So I made the oatmeal the way the directions say for the first time yesterday (from the first time I tried, I made it differently due to my schedule) and the way the directions say...yeah, they are gross! So here is what I usually do, and it's SOOOO much better. Nice and creamy. I'd advise you get a wide lipped thermos, I got mine from Amazon for $15 but I use t for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, Every single day...soups, oatmeal, mac and cheese, cold drinks...it makes lunch easy, and much tastier.

Boil water...I use my teapot.
Add MORE water, not less, I use 3/4c.
Make the oatmeal in a thermos. Make sure you mix VERY WELL...chunks like to float around. I make mine at 5am, eat it somewhere around 9 and it's super creamy and tasty. I add truvia, almond milk, strawberry syrup (WF), one of the three...

Today I don't work, so I didn't havfe the 4 hours to let it sit. I made it the same way, but put it in a travel mug for 5 minutes, then into a bowl and microwaved it for 45 seconds, then let it sit for another 5 minutes and soak up the water. Its delicious.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I like mine with more water, and a splash of milk, or whatever you cream your coffee with. Cinnamon is a good add-in, so is maple extract, almond extract, lemon extract.

Oatmeal pancakes are pretty good, too - start with 1/4 cup water, keep adding til it's the consistency you like. It takes a little longer to cook than the regular MF pancakes.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #7  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

I do not know your restrictions but you can get creative with oatmeal. It doesn't have to be sweet. I add all kinds of things such as feta cheese, onion, chilli peppers, parsley and different nuts. Try various combinations.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
I like mine with more water, and a splash of milk, or whatever you cream your coffee with. Cinnamon is a good add-in, so is maple extract, almond extract, lemon extract.

Oatmeal pancakes are pretty good, too - start with 1/4 cup water, keep adding til it's the consistency you like. It takes a little longer to cook than the regular MF pancakes.
Oatmeal pancakes sound great! I will try that today!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like savory oatmeal. By coincidence, I've recently been searching google and youtube for new recipes for oatmeal soup and other savory uses for oatmeal.

I have autoimmune disease, and there's growing evidence that grains can exacerbate (some say cause) autoimmune disease.

Oatmeal (unlike gluten grains or large amounts or corn) doesn't appear to aggravate my symptoms, so I do eat it occasionally, as I do wild rice, quinoa, and to a lesser degree millet, and amaranth.

Anyway, back to the oatmeal, I've made savory oatmeal in the past. Making it with chicken broth and onion or onion powder, it makes a nice substitute for mashed potatoes or stuffing (don't know if your plan allows a daily full meal).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote