Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Which bad habits did you quit?

I have recently quit drinking coffee

Artificial sweeteners (Splenda, etc.)

Refined sugar

Oh! I almost forgot about Diet Coke. Now if I taste it, it's disgusting! I used to LOVE it! Now if I could only feel that way about chocolate.

The only one I still can't quit (which I know contains artificial sweeteners) is my gum. I love Extra Dessert Delights and I usually have about 4-6 sticks every night in order to avoid binge eating. I know this is my last major vice but I still need to work on that one!

So, what did you all quit?

Last edited by luckymommy; 05-31-2013 at 09:45 AM.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #2  

I quit munchy snacks which was a huge part of my diet for years and years (chip, popcorn, crackers, tortilla chips, Cheeze-its, peanuts--notice the trend? Salty and crunchy!). There was no such thing as a serving size, a stopping point, a save some for later strategy. It was literally eat it til it's gone (and never tasting it or realizing that I just ate 10 servings in less than an hour...). It was the hardest habit I ever had to break. I never smoked or did drugs but mentally, it would have to be comparable I think. I was addicted to the carbs and crunch (if it's possible).

I can never ever eat like that again in my whole life. I almost think I have to ban them from my diet, I can't be trusted.

Edited to add!!! timetolose reminded me!! I haven't had a bagel, a piece of bread, an English muffin, a pizza crust, NOTHING! in 10 months now. I guess I really did forget about them, lol! But I'd give my right arm for any bread type product but again, I can't be trusted. EVER.

Last edited by elvislover324; 05-31-2013 at 10:31 AM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #3  
Crimson

S/C/G: HW:150, SW:139, CW:120, GW:120

Height: 5'6.5"

I quit coffee too, via a slow wean-off via decaf, and then artificial sweeteners. I used to put them in my tea, but now (I'm off for about .. 6 weeks?) I can appreciate the tea without the sweetness Lucky me.

I also quit my snoozing habit! I used to snooze the alarm for 40 minutes or so usually. Sometimes longer, up to 1.5 hours! I thought I'd enjoy getting the "5 more minutes" feeling more often, but in actuality it just left me with less restorative sleep. Now, except maybe once a month when I snooze my alarm once (then feel bad about it and get up before the alarm goes off again ), I get up immediately when my alarm goes off. So much better. That one actually made a surprising difference in how I start my day. Just .. more positive

Any kind of diet soda - I used to drink a lot of Coke Zero. None of that anymore.

Last edited by alizarin; 05-31-2013 at 10:07 AM.
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

All of them except beer.

But I am starting to drink less. Which is very scarey...
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Elvislover originally posted I quit munchy snacks which was a huge part of my diet for years and years (chip, popcorn, crackers, tortilla chips, Cheeze-its, peanuts--notice the trend? Salty and crunchy!). There was no such thing as a serving size, a stopping point, a save some for later strategy. It was literally eat it til it's gone (and never tasting it or realizing that I just ate 10 servings in less than an hour...). It was the hardest habit I ever had to break. I never smoked or did drugs but mentally, it would have to be comparable I think. I was addicted to the carbs and crunch (if it's possible).

I can never ever eat like that again in my whole life. I almost think I have to ban them from my diet, I can't be trusted.
I could have said the exact same thing. Last time when I lost 100+ pounds I did not think that I could completely give up those munchy snacks. I allowed myself a carefully weighed serving of baked Cheetos or chips every day. Then I would cut something healthy so that I could have another serving. I also did not think that I could live without bread. I kept my calories low enough to lose but it was hard.
This time I am following a doctor's low carb plan that completely cut out those snacks and bread. I am so glad that I decided to try it. It was difficult at first but has gotten much easier and I am losing weight quickly for the first time in my life.

Now, I just need to completely get rid of the Diet Dr. Pepper. I still allow myself one can a day.

Last edited by time2lose; 05-31-2013 at 09:24 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Smoking! But that happened a few years ago now. Still, one of the best habits to kick!

Pop - I was a 2-3 pop a day kinda girl for a while there. I would buy a case of green tea ginger ale on Sunday and it would be gone by Tuesday. I haven't given it up completely, it is just a treat once and a while now. Regular pop, can't stand the diet stuff.

Buying a snack every time in a store. It used to be that every time I went anywhere, I would buy something. Usually to eat/drink. Chips, beef jerky, candy, chocolate bars... you get the idea. I don't do that anymore.

Habit I need to break - Red Bull. I am still hooked on the zero cal red bull. And binging, I am so so much better than I used to be, but I still find myself occasionally binging
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #7  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

I was big on snack foods while I watched tv at night. I cannot have oreos or chips ahoy in my house - I WILL each the ENTIRE box in ONE night. lol No self control with that. If I really want oreos I will buy the 6 cookie snack pack and that's all I'll have. I swear I'm addicted to them. They have been the hardest thing to quit.
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

As I have gallstones (going on 4 years), I got rid of all fried foods, dairy, most refined carbohydrates, beef and pork. I eat chicken on occasion, but mostly have transitioned to a pescetarian/vegetarian lifestyle. It has taken me four years to get where I am today and through food diaries and gallbladder attacks, I've finally learned what I can/cannot have. I haven't had an attack in over a year now and have had no symptoms associated with this due to diet changes. If anyone has experienced gallbladder attacks, the pain is an incentive to change your diet or get the gallbladder removed. I opted to keep mine! :-)

I had a hard time eliminating soda but I've learned to substitute diet/regular soda for seltzer/club soda when I want fizz. Although now my drink of choice is water.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I saw a report (I believe it was 60 minutes quite a few months ago) that when they make the snack foods, they make the flavor very intense and short lasting which makes people really want to continue that sensation of reaching in the bag and into the mouth. They make an effort to make them addicting...obviously but it's more sinister than I expected.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #10  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Sugar in my tea and coffee. (DH and I would go through alot of white sugar)

Processed snacks. (my new habit is fruit or veg as a snack)

Not having dessert every night. LOL I think it's all sugar craving more sugar...

Sadly, I find myself sliding back into diet pop addiction. I know how bad it is, but with the warmer weather I want cold drinks not so much tea... I'll be working on this one.

**oh, just read seaurchin's post...maybe I'll start buying soda water for the fizz. good tip!

Last edited by veggiedawg; 05-31-2013 at 09:51 AM.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #11  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Same here, veggiedawg First thing I cut BACK on was sugar in my tea & coffee. I didn't completely cut it out, as I try it now and again but it just tastes... greasy? So I think I've actually learned to not want it! That in itself took nearly 6 months. Since doing that, I no longer have constant hunger & heartburn, and the horrible cystitis I've had a few times a month since I was a teenager has all but disappeared! That made me want to cut back on other sugar & refined carbs. I still occasionally have sugary things I really like... Usually lattes and Lindt salted caramel dark chocolate, and a donut or cake here and there. But if i'm having, say, a burger, i'll skip the bun as i'm just not really that interested in it. Or having meat & veggies, i used to think i HAD to have potatoes or something, but i'm just not that bothered about them, so i'll usually skip those too. Different story if i've lifted weights though, lol! The thought of how I'm going to feel if I overdo it is more than enough to stop a binge a good 90% of the time

And... Sitting on my a** all the time. I walk more, and have the habit of slacking off from this, but it's relatively easy to stick to as it's full of NSVs once I get out the door. I can feel how much fitter & smaller I am from just losing 10% of my weight, and long-term, that's enough to keep me at it

Another big one: guilt!! I have a long history of binge eating, and after years of trying to break the cycle at the eating part, I realised that was PART of the cycle. So, a few Jedi mind tricks later, I broke the cycle at the guilt part, and it's worked! I'm done with all the good/bad food distinctions now. I'm no nutritionist but I've learned about hormones a bit, and how my body reacts to food, sleep, stress, etc. I guess I actually think I deserve it more now

That post was entirely too long... I'm just working it out for myself as the current habit I'm working on breaking is micromanaging the **** out of everything. I keep veering away from the principles that I know work (eat when hungry, stop when no longer hungry, walk more, lift more, get sleep, be happy). I seem to overcomplicate everything and have put myself on a plateau several times doing this.

I was lucky to find this thread! It's reminded me to focus on what I KNOW works, rather than freaking out over what MIGHT work. One habit at a time

Last edited by the shiv; 05-31-2013 at 10:07 AM.
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Smoking and junk food. I try to eat the least processed foods.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #13  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Buying and eating an entire big bag of chips in one sitting.

Keeping sweets in the house.

Saying yes every time the little voice in the drive through asked if I wanted get the meal, and if I wanted to super size it.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedawg View Post

**oh, just read seaurchin's post...maybe I'll start buying soda water for the fizz. good tip!
My newest favorite seltzer water is Cucumber Melon from Polar. It's soooo good I drool over it before I even take a sip!

And it's all natural flavorings so
NO CALORIES
NO SODIUM
NO CAFFEINE
NO SUGAR
NO CARBS
(not yelling at you, just copied from their website!)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #15  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
(not yelling at you, just copied from their website!)
Elvis, you are too cute!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote