Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #1  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Default 30 Day Dumbbell Challenge

I started this before (along with the squats, plank, and crunch challenges) but derailed myself and didn't start up again.

This time I'm just taking on the one 30 Day Dumbbell challenge: http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/a...ell-challenge/

I'll be using 8 lb dumbbells (I don't think I'm ready for 10 and when I started this before, I tried 2, 3s, and then 5s and they were all too light).

Each day has animated GIFs that show you how to do that day's exercise. I will probably use a weight bench for most of mine, although I do have an exercise ball I can pump up. I'm not sure it's the right size for exercise for me, though--I bought it to use as a chair when I was having back problems. The text says they can be done with an exercise ball, a weight bench, a chair, etc.

So, this is my commitment to start up tonight. I hope some of you will join me to help me stay motivated!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Woot!

Hey Beth,

Thanks so much for starting this thread! This looks like a great program. Right now I'm working on Amy Bento's Slo-Mo Strength Challenge, but I only have two more of those to go. I'm one of those "start on Monday or the 1st of the month" kinda folks, so this will be great to start June 1; and I'll be doing it every day in June.

One of the things I like from what I saw of Day 1 is that it's manageable in a fairly short amount of time. On my swim mornings, I don't usually have time to do a weight workout (although the swim does provide great resistance & toning); and when I get home I just don't wanna. But with this commitment and the condensed nature of the workout, I can do it after work on those days. Even if I only do one set, it will be more than I would have done otherwise.

xo
Liz
Lizagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #3  
I can do this

I didn't start last night--managed to get a lot of stuff done, but not exercise. Maybe I'll go with Liz's scheme and start June 1--a nice "round" date.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #4  

Default Timing

Wooohooo!

I love being a trendsetter! Although I would have been perfectly happy if you'd started yesterday, but it will be fun doing the same workouts on the same days, bethfromDayton.

I am really looking forward to this.

xo
Liz
Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #5  
I can do this

Today was Day 1.

This is the set
Quote:
First Set:

12 reps of Biceps Curl
12 reps Triceps Kickback, both sides (I used the exercise ball as my bench)
12 reps of Bench Press (I used the ball as my bench)
12 reps of Kneeling One Arm Row, both sides (I used the ball as my bench)
12 reps of Lateral Raise
12 reps of Dumbbell side bend
I did two sets. Now I need to move the weight bench out from the middle of my office back to an out of the way spot under the window.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #6  

Default Day 1

I did 3 sets of 20 reps each w/8-lb dumbbells.

Brought my fit ball & dumbbells up to the living room so I could listen to a book on iTunes while dumbbelling.

On the 2nd & 3d sets, I combined the single-arm rows and kick-backs. In first motion, pulling weight up and bringing upper arm parallel to floor for the row--which then makes it in the perfect position to do the kickback--then keeping upper arm parallel to floor, straightening elbow and extending weight all the way back for kickback. Then lowering arm. It just seems more efficient with the same results.

Great workout!

xo
Liz
Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #7  
I can do this

Day 2: DONE!

I found the leg raises the hardest. I was worried about the toe raises, but they didn't bother my foot. The lunges were a bit rough on my recovering foot--I don't think I could have done another set.

I think 2 sets of 12 with 8 lbs weights is going to be my sweet spot--a challenge but not impossible.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #8  

Talking Day 2

Great job, Beth! You're so brave to be doing these so soon after your surgery. Glad the toes raises didn't bother you.

I did 3 sets of 20 with 8# dumbbells. THAT is one helluva workout! But it goes pretty fast, which makes me happy.

By the end of the stationary lunges, I thought my quads were going to ignite. Ow-ow-ow-owwwwww. I also have a lot of work to do on balance, so wobble a lot on those, when not coming close to falling down altogether.

I took her advice and didn't lift the weight on the leg extensions. That does sound like a recipe for disaster and months of chiropractic visits. Instead of the weight, I did "pass the ball" with my fitball (which is pretty light), where I hold it between my feet, raise my legs with it while also raising my arms, taking the ball into my hands, then lowering both hands & legs to the floor at their opposite ends. Then reversing the process, raising arms & legs, handing the ball back to my feet, lowering. The third set, just raised my legs. (I start out with high aspirations, then by the third set my standards are all about getting finished.)

Yea! We are 6-2/3% through our challenge! Woot!

xo
Liz
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #9  
I can do this

Day 3--done!

I think 2 sets of 12 each (with 8 lb weights) is the right spot for me--my arms are definitely shaky now that I've finished today's workout!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #10  

Default Day 3!

Done! (This morning) 20 reps X 3 sets with 8#.

Whew!

Liz
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #11  

Thumbs up Day 4

8# X 20 reps X 3 sets

Seemed to take forever today. Three of the exercises are per leg--which effectively doubles the time the exercise takes.

As always--good workout!

Liz
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #12  
I can do this

Did them late tonight, but did them--8# weights, 2 sets of 12

However, I don't have an exercise ball so didn't do that one--I may need to acquire one!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #13  

Default Fit Ball

Hey Beth,

You can probably get a Fit Ball/stability ball from Target or Walmart (assuming you're willing to deal with Wal-Martians) for cheap.

That exercise was probably great for the hip adductors, but I had to hang onto the wall to keep from falling down. (Let me repeat: my balance really needs work.) And sometimes it would kind of squirm away from me where I'd have to chase down the ball and re-start the exercise.

I'm sure someone could make a good comedy routine out of this.

Liz
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 231/226.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for posting this, Beth! I've been looking for some guidance on how to start a strength-training program, so this is perfect! I'm very excited to work this into my fitness routine, though will probably follow their 8 week plan instead, just so it's easier to fit into my schedule.
dumpling99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #15  
I can do this

Day 5!

The Deltoid raises were so hard that I switched to 5 lb weights for the second set.

I pulled up the exercise ball I used to use for a chair and used that for the ball exercises. It's clearly too big for this, but I did all the sets.

I can see why the 8 week plan would work most schedules better! dumpling, please check in as often as you like and we'll cheer you on!

For me right now, this is my best exercise until my foot heals enough to walk longer (and faster) (and more often).

5 out of 30....1/6 is a nice fraction!