Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #1  

Default uk wls waiting time procedures

Any one awaiting wls in the uk or had it? Looking for some advise please. I've recently been referred. Xxx
georgina0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #2  

Ive been refered weighing 19.7 my heaviest ever! My weight has been up and down over the years but this is the final straw i want to change it once and for all. Im 30 with 3 young children want to do this for them aswell as myself. Altho my weight is high every says how well i carry it (this dont make me feel better) no one actually knows my weight. I dont suffer with high bp not medicated. I have painful heavy periods (endermetriosis) worsened by weight gain. I am emoitonally effected on a daily basis. Ive done every diet u can think of ww sw atkins cabbage soup slimming pills xcenical. I feel this really is my final hit. Im looking for people in the same situation. Any help/chat infor will be great x
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #3  

* i do suffer with high bp not medicated*
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #4  

Hi, im new to all of this my first visit to one of these sites. Ive struggled on and off with my weight for the last 13 years. I'm currently my heaviest at 19.7. Ive lost weight previously on ww/sw Atkins slimming pill prescribed and naughty ones im at a desperate point where i feel this is my last option.

i went to see my gp last week. I walked into the surgery said what i was there for (to be considered for wls) he kinda looked at me as if to say no chance! he said the guidelines had change and ur bmi needs to now be over 50 to qualify on the nhs (mine is 43.5) for funding. He said ok lets weigh you. I said before you do please be honest guess what you think i currently weigh he said around 16.7?? When he weighed me and realized my real weight he was quite surprised and then i had a crazy emotional breakdown.

He sent me away said we would apply for funding and to come back next week, I think this was because there was no talking to me whilst i was in this state and also to see if i was serious maybe? Anyway i returned this week i have full referral my bp is high i suffer from endermetriosis painful heavy periods worsened by weight gain. He printed off a chart of my weight over the last 13 years and said it goes in my favor as my weight has been up and down.

I'm now abit unsure what to expect really im kinda thinking im gonna be refused as there are others worse off? but also positive Ive made first step. he put down on my referral that i have completed a weight lost course via his referral and a years gym membership via his referral?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

I had to go to google to see if i could find out anything, and the only thing i could come up with was this item from Scotland. http://www.ohb.scot.nhs.uk/images/pd...y%20200711.pdf

Your best bet, i think, would be to ask your doctor, or call the hospital, or call the surgeon's office.

The interesting thing is that the document from Scotland said that the time from approval to surgery was about 9 weeks, but it could take up to a year to get approval. That's a little longer than here in the US, but not that much longer. We generally have to go through 6 months of supervised weight loss and then have a whole bunch of evaluations. I'm sure the process is similar in the UK.

So, that's also why it's REALLY important that your doc put down on the referral that you've completed a supervised weight loss plan, along with a gym membership. he's definitely in your corner here.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote