Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #1  

Default *

Last edited by BettieGordon; 08-21-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Is this your identical or fraternal twin? If you're identical twins, then I'd say that she's extremely active to burn off all that crap she's eating. If you're fraternal, then while she was born at the same time, it's just like having another sibling from a body composition perspective.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettieGordon View Post
She eats Cheetos, McDonald's, cakes, candies, chocolate, countless French fries, pasta, etc. She orders Chinese food and pizza AT LEAST three times a week as well, yet she is stick-thin. How is that possible?
She may be getting by with it now, but it will all catch up with her someday.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

It is possible she has an underlying health condition. I always despised my brother he could eat and eat and eat and was always underweight and told to eat more, it made me so mad. Come to find out, he has celiacs and was not absorbing nutrients properly.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #5  
PoundPuncher

S/C/G: 176/161/155

Height: 5'7

She might be a hardgainer. What are hardgainers? Common belief says people who can eat anything they want without gaining weight. They say hardgainers have a "fast metabolism": they burn everything they eat. Or they don't digest what they eat.

Myths. Gaining weight is all about eating more than you're doing now. I know you think you eat a lot, but you don't. Otherwise you wouldn't be skinny. Metabolism & genetics have nothing to do with it. Read on.

8 Reasons Why Hardgainers Can't Gain Weight. Let's start with the 8 most common mistakes hardgainers make when trying to gain weight.

1. Lack of Food. Track your daily calorie intake using fitday. You'll see that you're not eating as much as you think you are.

2. Wrong Food Choices. Foods like salad & spinach are healthy but won't make you gain weight. You need calorie dense foods like pasta & nuts.

3. Too Much Activity. A very physical job will burn much of the calories you eat. Without massive amounts of food, you'll never gain weight.

4. Training Wrong. You won't gain weight doing isolation exercises like Curls. But you will with compound exercises like Squats & Deadlifts.

5. Avoiding Fat Gains. Gaining weight without gaining fat is slow & hard. Usually it leads nowhere. Better: gain weight first, then lose the fat.

6. No Consistency. No approach will work if you miss workouts, neglect to meet your daily caloric needs and change your approach all the time.

7. Limiting Beliefs. You believe you have bad genetics, a fast metabolism and that you'll always be skinny because everyone else is in your family.

8. No Faith. You've given up all hope because everything you tried failed. You believe you'll be skinny the rest of your life.

Last edited by myjade84; 07-01-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #6  

I think you need to stop comparing to your sister and concentrate on yourself. Otherwise we could always be comparing to other people and getting depressed over the comparisons. BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettieGordon View Post
She eats Cheetos, McDonald's, cakes, candies, chocolate, countless French fries, pasta, etc. She orders Chinese food and pizza AT LEAST three times a week as well, yet she is stick-thin. How is that possible?
Aside from differences in activity or metabolism, which others have alluded to... Your sister may purchase these fast foods, but does she eat it all? Perhaps she has half and then saves the rest for another time. Perhaps she skips lots of meals. You can't know how many calories she actually consumes per week unless you shadow her every waking minute and record her consumption.

F.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

You have called her both a pig and skeletal. Yikes!!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissacarter2013 View Post
I think you need to stop comparing to your sister and concentrate on yourself.
I agree - easy to say, not so simple to do, though.

BettieGordon, it sounds like being a twin makes it difficult! Most twins are constantly compared to one another it seems - I'm sure this makes it hard for you to create some kind of space mentally for you.

You can control how you treat your body. Choose to love yourself by making good food choices for your body, and moving more (whatever that means from where you are at today).

Better food choices make you feel better (by avoiding sugar crashes and blessing your body with good nutrients) and more movement also makes you feel better.
Closed Thread