Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #1  
Warrior

S/C/G: 252/216/160

Height: 5'7"

Default One week on Slow Carb

My boyfriend lost a lot of weight on the Slow Carb diet developed by Tim Ferris. I decided I am going to try it for a week, just to shake things up a little... I have been doing well with low cal and working out. I basically decided to try this for a week just to see if I can do it.

The diet is very strict. It basically consists of Meat, veggies, beans/nuts/legumes. Cottage cheese, salsa, and some salad dressing with low sugar (like Balsamic vinaigrette) are allowed. And tomatoes and avocado are allowed, even though they are technically fruits. Water, black coffee and unsweetened iced tea are all that's allowed for drinks.

So, as of tomorrow, I will be sticking to this for a week. I'm going to use this thread to document my progress.
DazeGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I did slow carb a long while back for a couple weeks change up, too. But, I didn't really think it was that hard. My take on it...not sure if it was from his blog or where...but, a glass of wine was allowed and on your toughest workout day, pizza. So, I thought that was fairly generous for LC. LOL. Anyway, it was a nice change of pace for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing it exactly by the book. (Mostly just winging it and going from an online description.) I didn't want to buy the book since I was basically doing a short term hack.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #3  
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposssa View Post
I did slow carb a long while back for a couple weeks change up, too. But, I didn't really think it was that hard. My take on it...not sure if it was from his blog or where...but, a glass of wine was allowed and on your toughest workout day, pizza. So, I thought that was fairly generous for LC. LOL. Anyway, it was a nice change of pace for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing it exactly by the book. (Mostly just winging it and going from an online description.) I didn't want to buy the book since I was basically doing a short term hack.
How much did you lose?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Well, it was a looong while back and if I remember right I only lost a couple of pounds each week. But, I had been stalled for a little while before that and the change up worked to get me unstuck. Hope it goes well for you!
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #5  
Warrior

Day 1, Breakfast.

Egg beaters, mushrooms, peppers, onions, black beans, turkey bacon, and a little bit of salsa. Also, black coffee.

Last edited by DazeGypsy; 05-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #6  
Warrior

Snack: Cottage cheese with some salsa mixed in, and raw almonds.

I have a mild headache. I'm not sure if this is from the food or not. From what I read headaches are common with low carb consumption.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #7  
Warrior

Dinner: Taco salad with spinach, black beans, ground turkey, guacamole, salsa, and tomatoes.

This was a dinner that made the diet seem awesome. This was a really good Taco salad. Unlike at breakfast, I at two helpings and actually got full.

This is a struggle for me because I hate beans with a fervent passion. Black beans are the only ones I can tolerate and I can only eat them if they are mixed in with something that makes them harder to see/taste. I mixed them in with the meat and put taco seasoning on them. It helped, but they are still there, lol...

Headache went away when I ate.

I have been peeing a lot today too, which I guess is normal on a low carb diet.

Right now I feel nice and full and content.

I am looking forward to the glass of red wine I get to have later.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #8  
Warrior

[IMG][/IMG]

Day 2, Breakfast: Basically the same thing as yesterday only I used fresh portabella mushrooms instead of canned ones.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #9  
Warrior

[IMG][/IMG]

Day 2, Lunch: Cottage cheese w/black pepper. Bell pepper w/hummus, tuna and a half a diced tomato with some balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

I was worried this wasn't going to be enough food. But it was actually difficult for me to finish.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #10  
Warrior

Day 2 Dinner: Chicken breast seasoned with Mrs. Dash. Bag steamed vegetables. (I feel like I cheated because the mixed veggies had carrots in them and they have a lot of sugar.)

I felt a lot better today then yesterday. My energy level was normal to high. Tonight when I worked out I got a little nauseous on the elliptical. But no headache and no nagging hunger today. The queasiness on the elliptical was the only bad thing today.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #11  
Warrior

Day 3 Breakfast: Same thing as yesterday

Eating is really starting to feel like a chore on this diet. And I'm getting sick of burping and farting all the time. Sorry if that was TMI.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #12  
Warrior

I didn't have time to update this thread yesterday. But I am still sticking to it. I'm still taking pictures of everything I eat... sorry for not posting them. Posting them is kind of a pain in the ***, honestly.

It's really starting to suck, to be honest. Last night I couldn't work out because I had no energy...

And, having to eat something I absolutely hate twice a day is just getting annoying. I feel like I'm just punishing myself.

I seem to be a lot more depressed and irritable too.

But, the upside is, it's actually working. I've lost more weight this week then I normally do in a week's time.

I may stay on it a little longer... I'm trying to lose weight for my friend's wedding in September. I'm the Maid of Honor.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #13  
Warrior

Today is cheat day. So far the only cheating I've done is put sugar in my tea. But I have plans for later. They keep showing commercials for those S'more blizzards. My by and I were both saying we haven't had a Blizzard in years. So, later on we are getting Blizzards.

I have a film shoot today. So I am a little stressed about that. Can't really think much about eating at the moment.

I confess, I did cheat last night a little. I was hanging out with some friends and a guy I know brought a bottle of his home brewed beer. He poured some of it in cups for us all to try. I tried it. But, a dixie cup of beer is nothing. I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

I am not sure weather I want to stay on this diet for longer then a week. These last few days I've felt like crap. But I keep reading that is normal until you get used to it. I don't even know how much weight I've lost. I weighed myself two nights ago and was happy with the results. But then last night I weighed myself again and had gained 4 pounds since the night before. I know that isn't really possible and I must have just been holding on to a lot of water. It was at the same time of the day though. Idk... I am supposed to weigh myself at the beginning of my cheat day, which is now. But I don't have a scale.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #14  
Warrior

Ok, so one week ended today. I didn't lost any weight. But, I have noticed changes in my body. I feel firmer and leaner.

I've decided to stay on it for another week and see what happens.

I have the "induction flu" pretty bad right now. I've felt like *** for the last few days. I didn't work out tonight because I just didn't have the energy. My whole body aches and I feel so tired all the time.

Even on my cheat day I felt crappy. I had a headache most of the day and felt dizzy a lot in the evening.

I also cheated a little yesterday. It was my cousin's graduation party. I had a big plate of meat, but I also had a few chips and drank one beer. And then they cut the cake. I had one small piece of cake. It was a special occasion... I know I should have had more self control but it also could have been a lot worse.

I can't wait for these symptoms to go away. I feel like absolute crap...
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/192/150

Height: 5'6

What are you following now??
LNordy is offline   Reply With Quote