Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #1  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Default So here it is....30lbs regain

Hi.
I lost and maintained a 145lb loss. I looked fab and felt it. Then I began exercising, became obsessive about it and find myself 30lbs heavier. I have allowed my focus to slip. I have not been POP and probably deserve the regain. However, I exercise at least 3 times a week, and don't eat the calories back. I want to succeed to lose at least 15lb of the regain, but am confused and puzzled. I did no exercise whilst actively losing, and now am gaining, particularly around the middle . Could the severity of the regain have anything to do with overtraining? I am a cardio hound.
I am becoming desperate. I'm depressed and very unhappy and truly need some help from those who've been through a similar situation.
BTW I managed to maintain for over a year. It's just been since the exercise became such a constant that I have been gaining.
TIA for any insight, advice or words of wisdom . I will not go back to being 300lbs...
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Hi starbrite! I remember seeing your posts when I was only trolling the 3FC boards and not yet a member. Good to see you back!

While I don't have an answer for you I do sympathize where you're at. I was almost at goal, at my lowest weight ever as an adult, when I too lost focus and little by little have regained close to 30 pounds. Like you, I'm trying to figure out my way back.

We share some similar lines of thinking but I try not to get desperate because I know that won't get me anywhere. Three years ago when I first lost the weight I can tell you that overall my focus was much more intense and my diet cleaner. There were days when I know I could have been dropped in a sea of pastries and ice-cream and it wouldn't have bothered me a bit. I wouldn't have been tempted. Now, not so much I was running at least 4 times per week and taking a weight lifting class 2-3 times per week. I also had a different job that allowed me Friday's off work. Since that time I have changed jobs and now have a staff of 3 that I supervise and my job is more stressful and time consuming. Many days I come in early and stay late. I often work one day on the weekends most weekends and I'm more sleep deprived. I'm also working through a relationship breakup.

In no way am I making my new job or anything else an excuse. There are men and women who are incredibly successful and consistent who have many more responsibilities and manage to keep up with their weight loss/lifestyle efforts. What I do recognize is that I haven't adapted well to the changes that have occurred in my life. I need to learn how to do this because life marches forward whether or not I'm executing my diet and exercise plan. Has your life changed in any ways that might have disrupted your diet and exercise habits?

And speaking of life marching on...I started my efforts when I was 40 and am now 44. Genetically, I'm predisposed to gather my weight in my belly so it's not such a huge shock that's the first place it develops. I don't know how old you are but perhaps there is something happening hormonally that you're seeing the weight gain in your mid-section. Maybe a trip to your doctor? While I will never be a "thin" girl, my weight sessions leaned my body out in ways I didn't think possible, so maybe some weight training might be something for you to look into doing. When I'm lifting consistently I feel strong and powerful.

Finally, if I may be honest, somewhere along the line I just got tired. Obviously I haven't give up because I've maintained the majority of my weight loss, but now it seems like everything is an effort. Yep, it's hard, but I also know that what I've gained in health and energy and so many other things far outweighs (pardon the pun) the hard. Most days I don't look forward to working out , but once I do, I'm so glad I forced myself to do it.

To sum up I know I haven't tried everything and I have been inconsistent and impatient with myself and my body. Clearly some retraining in thought and action may be in order for both of us , but the wonderful thing is, we did it once and we can do it again!

Don't get desperate! There's no need for that!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #3  
I Will do this....

Thanks curvy. I hear you
I'm 46 so am aware that my age plays a part, but don't think it is the full story. And despite not being pop I have not fallen into cake and ice-cream. I never eat anything sugared, ever. I'm confused, not sure why the gain is so bad and want to work on this logically. I never want to go back. I hated myself as a nearly 300lber and hate that I gained some back. I know I did my health the power of good by giving up smoking and joing the gym, but feel these two things have been the instigators in my gain. Where to go next, I'm not sure, but I'm not giving up. Far from it.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #4  

I'm glad you are back, starbrite! I was missing your posts and hoping everything was ok.

You didn't "deserve to gain it back" so please don't be so hard on yourself, sweety. We all go through these ups and downs with our weight so you aren't the first one or the least bit alone. And yay you for coming back here to talk about it and address it. I'm like you, I will NEVER ever EVER go back to 300lbs (or even 200 for that matter) no matter what happens. So we can be partners in crime for that.

I haven't been through what you have been through/going through and I know that's whose posts you want. But I wanted you to know you were missed and I'll send you some positive vibes. You can do this, I know you can.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #5  
I Will do this....

Thank you Elvis... very very much. Your post is more appreciated than you will ever know.
I am just confused, a little angry and very depressed. I know something has to change. I just don't know what it is. I do the cardio, strength train, eat healthily most of the time, but clearly something is off. Each time I think I've got it, something changes and I'm confused again !
Old 05-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #6  

Starbrite, I remember your posts, too, and I'm glad to see you back.

Do you count calories? I ask because doing that and comparing it to what you were eating is one way to discern the problem. I posted on the maintenance forum recently that I gained 5 lbs and am feeling a little out of control, but if I'm completely honest with myself, I know what it's from: those ever-increasing bites, licks, and tastes, which I estimate add up to 100-200 calories a day. I've been sloppy with that since Dec., and if I add up those calories over a few months time, it's easy to see how I gained that five. My point is that I think many of us, over time, are less assiduous with our tracking than we were in the beginning, and that results in weight gain. Could that possibly be the issue with part of your weight gain?

Also, even though I am an avid, hard-core exerciser, my husband has always told me that he believes exercise is counterproductive to weight loss because it makes you hungrier, so you eat more. As a calorie counter, though, I will know if I'm eating enough to cancel out my exercise. If I did not count calories, though, I might inadvertently eat much more. So, if you do not count calories, could it be that you are inadvertently eating more since you started exercising. I'm just brainstorming here.

Whatever the reason, I want to give you the advice that I often need to give myself: Don't be so hard on yourself. You are not a lesser person because you regained some weight. In fact, you are to be commended for catching it so soon. Don't give in to negative mental talk; talk back to it! I tend to be pessimistic, but I refuse to give into the pessimism of telling myself that I'll regain it all like most of the statistics say or that I'm too weak to keep it off, etc.
Keep posting here. Also, post in maintenance. There is a lot of wisdom there from folks who have been through exactly what you're going through. You can do this, Starbrite!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #7  
Sahara

S/C/G: 182.2/140.2/147

Height: 5' 6.5"

Starbrite I too remember your posts from when I was mainly a lurker and was so inspired by your success. I'm glad to see you back. I have no advice but I know you can do this especially since you've lost so much before. I too am working on losing a 20 lb regain and it's success stories like yours and others here that keep me going.
saharag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
TIA for any insight, advice or words of wisdom.
Perhaps we'll have better insights to offer if you give us an idea of your average eating day, and also let us know specifically how the pattern has changed since you first began maintenance.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #9  
I Will do this....

Thanks ladies for advice. Lin I don't count calories per se but know the rough calorie values for all the food I eat. I too have been less assiduous and have licked and nibbled more than before. I have also allowed the occasional off plan meal, and yes the exercise is to blame in as much as I do the exercise and think I can splurge now and again.
However what I haven't done is binge, or overeat excessively. I have tried to stay within the Low carb plan that I always used.
A typical days food would be yoghurt with oatbran for breakfast
Salad with protein for lunch
Broccoli mash made with broccoli, onion and asparagus with shrimp and parmesan.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #10  

Quote:
Thanks ladies for advice. Lin I don't count calories per se but know the rough calorie values for all the food I eat. I too have been less assiduous and have licked and nibbled more than before. I have also allowed the occasional off plan meal, and yes the exercise is to blame in as much as I do the exercise and think I can splurge now and again.
However what I haven't done is binge, or overeat excessively. I have tried to stay within the Low carb plan that I always used.
Thanks for the extra info. Your typical menu sounds spartan, so if you're just eating that, it's not the culprit. However, I would bet that you're eating more than you think. I would advise tracking your food VERY closely for a couple of weeks---weigh it, measure it, etc. Weigh yourself at the beginning of this process and then again at the end. Barring any fluctuations caused by TOM (in which case, keep going until it's over), I bet you'll see a loss. I'm telling you, those little tastes add up. Just this morning, for instance, I was weighing out some cream cheese for a bagel I plan to eat later. I wanted SO bad to taste some of that cream cheese. So, I allowed myself to, but only after I weighed what I previously would have eaten without weighing. Guess what? That little nibble was 35 calories. No big deal, right? But imagine doing something like that 5-6 times a day (which I easily did). That's another couple hundred calories. Consistently doing that will put on about 2 lbs a month. In a year, that's 24 pounds.

So, I think tracking more closely would help.

Last edited by lin43; 05-26-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #11  

Quote:
This looks solid, with nothing obvious that might account for the regain. I agree with Lin43 that extra licks and bites can add up to a lot (well over 200 cals in my case). In general I don't advocate completely eliminating or tracking these licks and bites, because I consider them a part of living. In this case, however, I suggest you commit to logging EVERYTHING you eat for the next 2 weeks and keeping it under a certain calorie level, say 1,500/day. Weigh yourself at the beginning and at the end of those 2 weeks, see where you land, and take it from there.

Freelance

p.s. I read Lin43's latest post (right above mine) AFTER posting my own suggestion. It looks like we're recommending exactly the same thing, so maybe there's something to it!

Last edited by freelancemomma; 05-26-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #12  

freelance, this is eerie. Not only were we posting at the same time, but we essentially gave the same advice!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
freelance, this is eerie. Not only were we posting at the same time, but we essentially gave the same advice!

Eerie indeed. See my p.s. in the above post.

Why are you up so early? I'm off to a 5K race with a friend of mine. I'm hoping to beat last year's time, but not too confident that I will.

F.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 253.2/215.2/140

Height: 5'6"

If your diets clean and your exercising might I suggest going to see your Dr to have your thyroid checked? Weight gain is one of the first signs of Hypothyroidism. It's just a blood draw check.
soon2beskinnyCarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #15  
I Will do this....

Thanks Lin and Freelance. I think you are right, will be checking out those extra bits and for me, will be trying to eliminate them. That works better for me.
Soon2b I've had all my bloodwork done. Nothing there... ! Just have to keep on keeping on and not give up
Thanks for the advice