PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/281/187

Height: 5'7

Default Metformin.

So I just actually got the call from my doctor last night and was offically diagnosed with PCOS.. My insulin level is DOUBLE what it should be. She is going to start me on metformin in 3 weeks, of course every my liver and kidneys get checked. She stressed how tough this medicine is and how much poo it'll put you through (literally)..

So before I start taking it, I was wondering if anyone knows of any tips or tricks on how to get the symptoms less servere (if thats possible) .. And even though everyone is different, about how long it takes to get use to it (also if that is possible)
alyssarinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Hey I don't have PCOS or anything but I a on psyche meds and I know people who have been given metformin (For combating weight gain side effects of psyche meds) and I'm pretty sure most (Though I'm sure not all) of the side effects go away when the drug get's into your system. This should be in 2 weeks - a month. It varies. At least that's what I've been told. If it turns out I'm wrong and you don't experience that then maybe someone else here will be more helpful and I apologize for the misinformation.

Otherwise less severe symptoms at the very beginning? Go slow when going up in dose. The faster you go up in your dosage the worse the symptoms. The rule is start low go slow. But I am sure your doctor knows that so just listen to them

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 04-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm on metformin, 2000 mg a day (half at breakfast, half at dinner), and slowly increased my dose over a few years and never had any poo-related side effects. So take heart, it doesn't happen to everybody.
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #4  

thanks for the advice wolf!

& super, that makes me feel alot better. I know everyone is different, but i'm hoping I dont have side effects, esp working full time!! I already warned my co-workers lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #5  

Height: 5 feet 3inches

I'm on Metformin - when i started i had the pee related issues but it went away i also felt very sick first month i was it i lose a stone.
differentsomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I am on Metformin XR (extended release), and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I was on 500mg for about 6 weeks and I did not notice any difference, and I uppsed it to 1000mg myself without dr approval (bad I know) and that is when I started seeing the changes. Facial hair has slowed down, acne has reduced by 98% with one or two pimples around TOM, no carb cravings and no more joint pain & mental fog.

And the best part is I lost 10 lbs and have kept it off for a month by just watching my carbs. I don't strictly count my carbs, I just avoid the bread basket, pasteries, and such. I drink a carb smart shake like glucerna or boost for breakfast, eat a salad with light dressing for lunch, and whatever else I want for dinner. I went on a vacation for 10 days where I ate very badly. I was so convinced that I gained all the weight I had lost plus some based on my past history, and imagine my surprise when the scale said that I had actually lost 2lbs.

I don't think Metformin alone helps you lose weight. It just evens the playing field between us and non-pcos'rs when it comes to weightloss. You will still have to watch what you eat and exercise to lose weight. I also think Metformin XR helps with the digestive issues compared to the regular plain Metformin.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: 5'1''

Default Metformin related issues

I've been on it for a year now and I'm still experiencing issues with poo, I started with 500mg a day, went to a max of 2550mg (850mg 3 times daily) and down to 2000mg a day now (1000mg twice daily). I tend to get sick every time my dosage increased (which last happened a month ago) and I changed the brand from glucophage (which most people tolerate best) to metformin-denk. Usually taking it right after a good meal helps to combat the side effects as well. But the excess bathroom activities usually kick-start the weight loss so there's a bright side
DanRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/222/160

Height: 5'0"

Hi!
I was diagnosed with pcos and put on Metformin when i was 12 (1000 mg a 2x daily). The past 10 years i have slacked off incredibly (on and off medications, making poor decisions) hence the weight gain, and lovely PCOS side effects. I am actually about to restart my Metformin tomorrow. Anyway, i always tried to take my met with a small glass of milk. I had heard that it coats your stomach and helps with the stomachache, etc. To be honest i don't exactly remember if it actually did anything but it may be worth looking into?
Marie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by differentsomeone View Post
I'm on Metformin - when i started i had the pee related issues but it went away i also felt very sick first month i was it i lose a stone.
I just started taking Metformin on 5/1 to prepare for an IVF cycle and the last week I've had frequent urination that is driving me crazy. My nurse told me it wasn't a metformin side effect but it seems to have started after I got regular on it. Went to my regular doctor in case I had a UTI and culture came back clean.

Curious what the pee related issues are that you are referring to.
Thanks
konababy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #10  

Okay, I started 2 weeks ago with 1 500mg a day, then next week was 2 500 mg a day and now I'm starting doing 3x 500mG a day. And yesterday I was watching Fast and Furious 6 (oh vin & paul <3) and I ran to the bathroom 3 times. UGH! And at walmart prior to the movies and at sheetz right before the movies. Today I've taken just my 2nd one and I'm feeling a little sick but not like I was yesterday.

Also, idk if its the met or what, but I can only eat like once a day. I'm not hungary AT ALL. It says on my pill bottle to eat with food, so i basically force myself to eat something so I can take my pill. But wonder if I would be able to just have a glass of milk instead of forcing myself to eat?

& i've lost almost 10 lbs since i started taking met on 5/14.. WOOHOO! Back all aboard the weight loss train!