Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Horrible Picture. Depressed!

So, I do a lot of public appearances, and today, I opened the mail and found to my horror, that someone had sent me a picture of myself posing in a photograph that was part of the official event photography. I was wearing an outfit that in my mind looked good. Problem is, it was a patterned shirt with black pants. And BOY DO I LOOK FAT!!! And the outfit isn't flattering either.
Of course, it came as a shock to me. I have a lot of event photos from last year when I weighed 70 lbs less. Am trying not to feel discouraged by it, but I was just so embarrassed when I saw it. That was a week ago, and I weigh one pound less now. I know there is no point in beating myself up when I'm trying to change it. But I really didn't realize I looked that big. I'm down 14 lbs since April 13th, but it sure doesn't show.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #2  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

We are really our own worst enemies. I bet you look very professional and much nicer than you give yourself credit for!

Congratulations on your loss so far; it will continue to add up and be noticeable before you know it.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
We are really our own worst enemies. I bet you look very professional and much nicer than you give yourself credit for!
I agree. Try to look at the picture as you would a stranger. If you still hate it, know that you will like the pictures next year much better.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I agree. Try to look at the picture as you would a stranger. If you still hate it, know that you will like the pictures next year much better.
Thanks guys. I'm sure you're right. I was just horrified because the outfit I was wearing did not flatter as much as I thought it would, but also, ever since I've regained the weight I look awkward and uncomfortable in the way I hold myself. The difference is noticeable. I just look so uncomfortable in my own skin. Ugh.

I really can't stand doing all of these functions knowing that I'm going to look like this in the pictures. It's too stressful!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #5  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

That's how I feel about pretty much every picture of me...I've just had to deal with the fact that I don't have the best perception of my own body and I've learned to take other's compliments at face value. I try not to get down about photos...considering in today's photo happy world I can't seem to go a week without someone snapping a photo.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #6  
Giving It My All

S/C/G: 270/262.2/140

Height: 5'7

I bet you looked amazing! Don't make yourself feel bad, it can ONLY get better
Going2BeThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

I know exactly how you feel, my boyfriend snook a picture of me yesterday on my phone and all I could see was a double chin!

It's hard to brush off the feeling after seeing a bad picture, but think about how good you felt in the outfit. To me, I think, how you feel is more important!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksong View Post
That's how I feel about pretty much every picture of me...I've just had to deal with the fact that I don't have the best perception of my own body and I've learned to take other's compliments at face value. I try not to get down about photos...considering in today's photo happy world I can't seem to go a week without someone snapping a photo.
This is how I feel too. And I don't think it's ever going to change no matter what my weight is in the end.

I dive quite fast out of pictures as I don't want any evidence of myself at any weight.

One of my aunts is the "family picture taker" and she's such a sweet woman that I won't be difficult with her (even though I could die inside). The worst part though? She sends us copies of the pictures from each family event so we can have a copy too! And one of them that she took of me and my husband, she framed in a gorgeous frame and sent to us in the mail. How can I not keep it (even though I swear I can see my gut peeking under my shirt...). Pictures make me want to cry. But when I see everyone else in a picture, they all look good and natural like I know them to be in person. So either I look really bad in person too OR my perception of myself is just as bad when I see it in a picture like when I do in a mirror.

That was a long response to really say , I totally understand how you feel.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I totally understand and know how you feel. I'm so looking forward to the day when I can be in a family photo and not feel that I've ruined the picture. The ones I really hate are when "friends" post pictures on FB and tag me. It's bad enough that I feel/know that I look like a beached whale but having everyone who knew me 40 years ago know it too (especially since all of them seem to have magically remained the same size!) is just too much.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #10  

That is a hirrible feeling. Just line you I have seen recent pictures of me and boy i do not line what I see. I also gained back over 50 lbs and I get mad at myself for it. But we got to think positive and get back on track remember how good you looked and FELT when you were thise 70 lbs ligther just think about all the positives to get you thru this.
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
This is how I feel too. And I don't think it's ever going to change no matter what my weight is in the end.

I dive quite fast out of pictures as I don't want any evidence of myself at any weight.
LOL, Elvis. I'm totally the opposite. When I lost the weight, I was just SO AMAZED how normal I looked in photos that I became quite the photo hound. I couldn't believe that in picture after picture I looked perfectly normal, and I always looked so much smaller in pictures than I looked in my own head.

But now, I'm having the opposite problem. I regained very fast, and in my mind, I'm still thinking of how I looked before and I can't believe what I see. It's awful!!!!!!!

I think you are going to start loving how you look in pictures very soon!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #12  

I totally understand and know how you feel. I'm so looking forward to the day when I can be in a family photo and not feel that I've ruined the picture. The ones I really hate are when "friends" post pictures on FB and tag me. It's bad enough that I feel/know that I look like a beached whale but having everyone who knew me 40 years ago know it too (especially since all of them seem to have magically remained the same size!) is just too much.

Arggh Betsy. I can't stand that either!!! One of my most cherished photos is a picture I have from two summers ago, standing with my daughter. It made me so happy that we looked so nice standing there together, but also so SAD that we have very few pictures like that. My husband is a small man, and my children are all slim and athletic, and I always look like I just don't fit in in family portraits.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

This happened to me about 4 or 5 days ago. I saw a picture of myself and I couldn't believe how big I looked! It really depressed me. But we tend to be way more critical of ourselves than how others see us. Don't let the picture get to you. Just focus on your healthy goals. You have already achieved so much.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm sorry you're bummed out about this picture. I hate that feeling. I am always shocked when I see myself in pictures. Sometimes I wonder if I have some sort of reverse body image disorder where I see myself as thinner in the mirror than I really am.

If it's any consolation, most people looking at the picture will be focused on looking at themselves and criticizing themselves. I look old, fat, balding, you name it.

The people who aren't in the picture won't look at all.

Don't worry too much about it, hang in there!
AnnMarie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #15  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I think we've all seen "that picture" that's burst our bubble. I'll attach mine from my cousin's wedding that was uploaded to Facebook for the world to see.

The great news is that if you stick to your diet and exercise plan...you will lose the weight and love the way you look in photos again. The time will fly by. Don't focus on how far you've got to go, just commit to today and know that time flies. It's almost summer! I can't get over the fact that Memorial Day is next weekend! Where has the time gone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TF Before Pic.jpg (15.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by ChickieBoom; 05-21-2013 at 02:41 PM.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote