General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Default advice for the future based on this food log?

i'm looking into going partially Paleo, and i tried to do it today just to see how hard it is. i figured i would post this food log and ask for feedback. i did not count the calories so i have no idea what sort of calories i took in, but i'm sure it's not too high.

TODAY'S TRY-IT-ON TRACKING
Breakfast: 2 cups coffee, with 1/2 tsp agave nectar and a splash of creamer for each, 1 egg over easy, 1 slice lo-sodium bacon.
Snack: 1 Orange, Apple Juice (the juice has carbs in it, but I figured since it was from fruit juice with no sugar or anything added, it would be okay, plus i'm only having a few sips as opposed to the whole bottle)
Lunch: salad with lettuce, cucumber, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, olives, and light ranch dressing; handful cashews
Snack: 3 pieces dark chocolate with caramel, handful blueberries
Dinner: Tuna with olive oil mayo
Before-Bed Snack: 1 scrambled egg with 1/4 slice cheese, 2 slices lo-sodium bacon

Notes: Didn't think to check the carbs on JUICE, but i only had a few mouthfuls. also didn't know what to eat before bed, so i asked le boyfriend what HE wanted, and he wanted eggs and bacon, so that's what i decided to have, too. I am going to eat normally (though i will try not to inhale potato chips or sandwiches) this week, but will be planning a shopping list for next weekend to go low carb. i am not cutting out completely, i'll still eat my apples, and my fiber one brownies don't have many carbs, but i'm going to make a conscious effort to watch the carbs.
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #2  

i calculated the calories
a good 500 under what i should be eating
yet i can't stand the thought of eating more
i got completely full up after each meal
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Not sure what sort of feedback you're looking for. But it is my experience that when I increased the protein and cut out the refined/processed carbs (and for me, that included cutting fruit juice), I didn'tget as hungry. Also have to be careful to not overeat protein because I do experience a glycemic effect when I do that. If still hungry, I increase vegetables and healthy fats. Even just an ounce of raw almonds helps me.

Good luck!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Autopsy View Post
i'm looking into going partially Paleo, and i tried to do it today just to see how hard it is. i figured i would post this food log and ask for feedback. i did not count the calories so i have no idea what sort of calories i took in, but i'm sure it's not too high.

TODAY'S TRY-IT-ON TRACKING
Breakfast: 2 cups coffee, with 1/2 tsp agave nectar and a splash of creamer for each, 1 egg over easy, 1 slice lo-sodium bacon.
Snack: 1 Orange, Apple Juice (the juice has carbs in it, but I figured since it was from fruit juice with no sugar or anything added, it would be okay, plus i'm only having a few sips as opposed to the whole bottle)
Lunch: salad with lettuce, cucumber, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, olives, and light ranch dressing; handful cashews
Snack: 3 pieces dark chocolate with caramel, handful blueberries
Dinner: Tuna with olive oil mayo
Before-Bed Snack: 1 scrambled egg with 1/4 slice cheese, 2 slices lo-sodium bacon

Notes: Didn't think to check the carbs on JUICE, but i only had a few mouthfuls. also didn't know what to eat before bed, so i asked le boyfriend what HE wanted, and he wanted eggs and bacon, so that's what i decided to have, too. I am going to eat normally (though i will try not to inhale potato chips or sandwiches) this week, but will be planning a shopping list for next weekend to go low carb. i am not cutting out completely, i'll still eat my apples, and my fiber one brownies don't have many carbs, but i'm going to make a conscious effort to watch the carbs.
I always hate judging other people's food choices because I'm nowhere near perfect myself. That said, here's my thoughts on this.

Coffee - try to learn to take it without sweeteners. It takes time to adjust to the flavor but it's so much better for you in the long run.

Fruit juice - "but it's fruit!!" is the standard misconception that it's actually good for you. It's really not. Fruit juice contains a lot a lot a lot of sugar in it but without the real benefits of fruit which is FIBER. Eat your fruit, don't drink it. I don't even let my child drink fruit juice.

Salad - you could stand to put a little more in that salad that is substantial. Try some avocado, a little grilled chicken, a handful of black beans, some toasted sunflower seeds. It will make it more yummy and more balanced, you do need some protein. And skip the "lite dressing" which is just another word for processed food. Learn to love real ingredients like olive oil and vinegar. Splash in a little dijon mustard into your dressing, try out some balsamic vinegar, but make it yourself. Anything that comes in a bottle is full of sugar, I'm willing to bet on it, especially if it is labeled low-fat or lite.

Chocolate with caramel - dark chocolate can be a real treat. But caramel is added sugar, it's just sugar with butter in it. And if you can find satisfaction with one piece that's all you need. Dark chocolate can be good for you, but if it comes with the added sugar then what's the point?

Tuna with olive oil mayo - in what? In a bowl just by itself? Missed chance for veggies or whole grain bread. Not that I eat a lot of bread myself but you could wrap it in a lettuce leaf and eat it like a taco, or use it as a dip for celery or whole wheat pita chips.

Before-bed snack..... don't know what to say about that, it seems like an obvious no-no to me. Who needs energy for sleeping? Nobody. I try to stop eating by 7pm.

So basically, you're eating a few too many processed foods which are loaded with ingredients your body does not need that become quite addictive. You could use a few healthy legumes in your diet and some lean protein which will keep you fuller for longer. Try to get in the habit of reading the labels and eating more fresh perishable food and less packaged food. And I can pinpoint several cases of added sugar in your diet (in your coffee, in your salad dressing, in juice, in your snack, and in the olive oil mayo). In fact, the only meal you've had that does not contain sugar is your bedtime snack..... unless you're cooking it in butter spread which in that case all bets are off.

Some things you could add are hummus, low fat yogurt, almonds, brown rice cakes, kale chips, oatmeal.

Last edited by Palestrina; 05-20-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #5  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Wannabeskinny is spot on with all her observations, imo. Too many processed foods, too much sugar, and a serious lack of protein.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #6  

thanks guys. very informative.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I always hate judging other people's food choices because I'm nowhere near perfect myself. That said, here's my thoughts on this.

Coffee - try to learn to take it without sweeteners. It takes time to adjust to the flavor but it's so much better for you in the long run.

Fruit juice - "but it's fruit!!" is the standard misconception that it's actually good for you. It's really not. Fruit juice contains a lot a lot a lot of sugar in it but without the real benefits of fruit which is FIBER. Eat your fruit, don't drink it. I don't even let my child drink fruit juice.

Salad - you could stand to put a little more in that salad that is substantial. Try some avocado, a little grilled chicken, a handful of black beans, some toasted sunflower seeds. It will make it more yummy and more balanced, you do need some protein. And skip the "lite dressing" which is just another word for processed food. Learn to love real ingredients like olive oil and vinegar. Splash in a little dijon mustard into your dressing, try out some balsamic vinegar, but make it yourself. Anything that comes in a bottle is full of sugar, I'm willing to bet on it, especially if it is labeled low-fat or lite.

Chocolate with caramel - dark chocolate can be a real treat. But caramel is added sugar, it's just sugar with butter in it. And if you can find satisfaction with one piece that's all you need. Dark chocolate can be good for you, but if it comes with the added sugar then what's the point?

Tuna with olive oil mayo - in what? In a bowl just by itself? Missed chance for veggies or whole grain bread. Not that I eat a lot of bread myself but you could wrap it in a lettuce leaf and eat it like a taco, or use it as a dip for celery or whole wheat pita chips.

Before-bed snack..... don't know what to say about that, it seems like an obvious no-no to me. Who needs energy for sleeping? Nobody. I try to stop eating by 7pm.

So basically, you're eating a few too many processed foods which are loaded with ingredients your body does not need that become quite addictive. You could use a few healthy legumes in your diet and some lean protein which will keep you fuller for longer. Try to get in the habit of reading the labels and eating more fresh perishable food and less packaged food. And I can pinpoint several cases of added sugar in your diet (in your coffee, in your salad dressing, in juice, in your snack, and in the olive oil mayo). In fact, the only meal you've had that does not contain sugar is your bedtime snack..... unless you're cooking it in butter spread which in that case all bets are off.

Some things you could add are hummus, low fat yogurt, almonds, brown rice cakes, kale chips, oatmeal.
thanks for the input, just wanted to say i didn't use agave nectar today in my coffee, but my creamer does have sugar in it. black coffee is an acquired taste, but if i can get myself to acquire it i certainly will
Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #8  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
thanks for the input, just wanted to say i didn't use agave nectar today in my coffee, but my creamer does have sugar in it. black coffee is an acquired taste, but if i can get myself to acquire it i certainly will
You don't have to drink your coffee black, especially if you're habitually coming in under calories as-is. Coconut milk is a suitable paleo creamer, and half and half, heavy cream, or whole milk are good primal choices if you include some dairy in your diet. Either way, I'd ditch the sweetened creamer.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Girl you got sweetened creamer too???? I give up
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #10  

Quote:
why give up? i was told to do milk and honey instead, so once im done with my creamer i'll switch to that. i need help finding out what kind of stuff i need to cut out, so yeah.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #11  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
I'm sure you meant this in jest, but really, that's why we're all here....to support one another and offer advice.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #12  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
why give up? i was told to do milk and honey instead, so once im done with my creamer i'll switch to that. i need help finding out what kind of stuff i need to cut out, so yeah.
I think she was joking around

Honey is still sugar, just FYI. If you're trying to go as low-sugar as possible I'd try to learn to drink coffee with milk or cream and no sweetener of any kind - you could cut down a bit at a time if you need to, though I find it easier to stop all at once.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
I think she was joking around

Honey is still sugar, just FYI. If you're trying to go as low-sugar as possible I'd try to learn to drink coffee with milk or cream and no sweetener of any kind - you could cut down a bit at a time if you need to, though I find it easier to stop all at once.
i know, but honey is actually good for you even though it's sugar. and if i can afford to, i will be buying vanilla flavored coffee so all i need to do is add a bit of milk because it has a flavor. but until i can get gourmet coffee (i've still got a big container, i got it because it was on sale) i'm going to just try not to go totally overboard.

also sorry to the person joking, i don't do well with joking, online or off, i have a hard time understanding sarcasm unless you're like "gurrrrrrrrrl u got SWEETENED creamer!? gurl i totes give up~ " in other words, very obvious. it's part of Asperger's.

Last edited by Alyssa Autopsy; 05-20-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

In my experience and as advised in many of Paleo resources, for weight loss, even paleo sources of concentrated carbs need to be avoided or drastically limited. That means honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, non-berry fruit, all fruit juice, dried fruits, sweet potato.... these should be avoided unless you're maintaining a desired weight and working out fairly intensely or if you're needing to gain weight. High fat foods also need to be used in moderation (nuts, coconut milk...)

When trying to lose weight, he biggest risk with these carb-sources is their effect on hunger and blood sugar (causing both to rise).

Fruit juice really isn't much better than kool-aid, as already mentioned, all the hunger-satisfying and blood-sugar stabilizing fiber is removed, leaving essentially sugar water and a few vitamins and maybe some antioxidants.

For weight loss, fiber is your friend, giving you more to eat, better blood sugar control, and preventing constipation.

Agave nectar isn't a paleo food. Nectar is a misnomer, as it's not simply harvested from the agave plant, it's made much like high fructose corn syrup and should be called, "high fructose agave syrup."

Personally, can't lose weight without also counting calories when I eat significant amounts of calorically dense foods, whether they're paleo or not. High sugar foods with the fiber and/or water removed (agave nectar, fruit juice, dried fruit) are paleo "candy." Probably fine when you're active and at goal weight, but not conducive to weight loss or hunger control.

I wonder whether calorie counting, or an exchange plan might fit your needs better than paleo, because those plans are more flexible and the plans are easier to learn and follow.

The problem with paleo, is that there are a lot of bad-paleo-diets out there. If you don't have a firm understanding of nutrition and blood sugar-control, you can't tell the good paleo advice from the bad.

Exchanges and calorie counting are simpler. Personally, I'd recommend a high protein or moderate carb exchange plan. Exchange plans have calorie-counting and balanced nutrition somewhat built in. You eat so many servings of veggies, so many fruit sevings, dairy, fat, protein, grain/starch.

And the best part of exchange plans is that they can be adapted easily to almost any style of eating. For example when I first transitioned to paleo, I continued to use my exchange plan, I just used paleo principles to select the foods I used to satisfy my plan's requirements.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
i know, but honey is actually good for you even though it's sugar. and if i can afford to, i will be buying vanilla flavored coffee so all i need to do is add a bit of milk because it has a flavor. but until i can get gourmet coffee (i've still got a big container, i got it because it was on sale) i'm going to just try not to go totally overboard.

also sorry to the person joking, i don't do well with joking, online or off, i have a hard time understanding sarcasm unless you're like "gurrrrrrrrrl u got SWEETENED creamer!? gurl i totes give up~ " in other words, very obvious. it's part of Asperger's.
No honey really isn't good for you, not if you need to lose a significant amount of weight. It's caveman junk food, a "treat" that required work and bravery to harvest, and even so more than a fingerful a couple times a year was probably more than most people ever had.

Honey, dried fruit, fruit juice, and high sugar foods are not very paleo. Modern farming has bred sugar and starch into our foods and fiber out. To eat a semi-paleo diet you have to minimize sugar and maximize fiber. Wild, paleo fruits and vegetables were not very sweet, so to try to eat a paleo-like diet you need to be very careful with sweets of all types, especially if you're not eating at least 8 full servings of WHOLE low-calorie vegetables (and probably more like 10 to 12). Fruit sevings probably of no more than 3 daily (maybe less if not berries or citrus)

The paleo food pyramid would probably look loke this

Sweets and nuts (eat rarely if at all, esp if you need to lose) - honey, dried fruit, most fruit (juice never, it wastes too much and paleo folks weren't wasteful)

Nuts and starchy tubers like parsnips and sweet potato. Occasionally, especially if you're not very active.

Berries and low cal fruits, such as citrus fruits

Fat, meat and fish ( in moderate amounts when you can catch it - exercise to "earn it")

Low-sugar vegetables, herbs, leaves, grasses (probably the majority of the diet, most of the year). For weight loss, this is probably the only "eat as much as you want" category. Should take up most of your plate.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-20-2013 at 11:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote