Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #1  

Default How do i think more like a thinner person?

I have recently hit my 2nd goal and lost over 200lbs. My problem is i look at myself and still see the 477lb me. My clothes dont fit anymore i dont need seat extenders so i see it that way and of course on the scale but i dont see it on my body. so i guess i need to know how to switch my thought process or see myself as a thinner person (which im not yet) still weigh 259 but im not the 477lb me! also i am scared to but new clothes and know i look stupid with these huge clothes hanging on me, but i think part of me is scared to let go? anyone have issues like these? please help!
ladylucklaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I doubt many people do this.

But I spend an insane amount of time in front of the mirror looking at the new me. And every now and again I look at old pictures of me and compare with what I am seeing in the mirror.

It helps me to visualize the thinner me in my head. I am changing so much my mental image of me is pretty off sometimes.

Last edited by IanG; 05-17-2013 at 01:59 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #3  
junior lifestyle changer

S/C/G: 272/290/140

Height: 5'3"

Oh wow! Congrats on losing 200lbs! Thats a great accomplishment! I am struggling with the same issue, but I think that buying new clothes that fit you might help you realize the success you have had so far. Its hard to let go, but think of how you feel now as compared to then and how you feel in the future.

From the picture, you are very pretty! I hope you know that!
Waterdog2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I agree that buying new clothes will bring you a long way towards feeling the difference. I just recently started buying some and it was really shocking to me.

I think the mirror thing is a good idea, too, and I do it as well. I also will often feel around on my belly and hips in the morning while lying in bed, as they really feel so different to me know. And I pay attention to how my body fits on the couch, what it feels like to cross my legs, and how I am comfortable sitting in positions I would not have been able to get in before. And how effortless it is to get out of the car or clip my toe nails. I'm sure that after losing 200 pounds there must be a lot of stark differences.

Also, even if you're not feeling it, you must know that you are now just normal. That must be huge! I know that I am still pretty heavy w my bmi at 32 and wearing a size 16 even though I'm not much taller than my nine year old. But I don't stand out anymore, which is so different and a big relief.

I think it's worth it to work on how you're perceiving yourself bc after all your hard work you really deserve to enjoy the fruits of it. Very few people in this world have managed to do what you have done. You deserve a huge pat on the back and a whole new wardrobe!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Amazing job on all you've done so far! Yes, please get some new clothes - it'll be even stranger at first, but it will help you.

Give yourself time. Lots and lots of time. I lost 80+ pounds over the course of a year or so, and have been at goal for almost 2 years, and it STILL is weird occasionally. That's OK. Mostly, I've completely adjusted, but it's fine to have your mind blown by your new body and new clothes and new sense of self.

Be patient with yourself, and keep on going! You're doing great!

Last edited by JenMusic; 05-17-2013 at 08:01 AM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I agree with buying new clothes. I first bought new clothes after losing 50 pounds and all of a sudden, people started commenting on my weight loss. I don't see a change in the mirror but I can when I look at pictures. Take pictures and see if you can find a picture of yourself at your highest weight. I bet you will see the difference then.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

When it comes to buying new clothes, many people who are still in the process of losing weight will shop at the thrift stores or consignment shops. At consignment shops, you can re-sell the clothes as you lose more weight.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

take lots of pictures and compare them to your old ones. Chop your head out if you need to - our brains recognize cues, like our faces, and sometimes we just see our old self. I've done so many before an afters because there are so many days I don't see any of my progress.

This book might help too:http://www.amazon.ca/Joining-Thin-Cl.../dp/0307341461

You've done something amazing. You need to enjoy it!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #9  

Congratulations on your weightloss!! You are such an inspiration, wow!

I'm not sure how to tell you how to see your changes as I'm still struggling too. I have bought new clothes (it was a necessity and a motivator!) and I can see that I wear smaller clothes but I still see my old self in the mirror. It's totally mind-boggling.

I told someone yesterday that I didn't see any changes physically in myself and he just stared at me, like I was out of my mind. He was shocked that I wasn't celebrating myself like crazy (I am, but not to others in a bragging kind of way, plus I still have so much extra weight on me-it's not like I'm thin yet).

The mental part of all of this is almost harder than the weightloss itself (and that part is freakin' hard!!). I just hope we can all accept our new self and this part gets easier over time.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote