Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Too fat to read!

Hi, Ladies!

I'm new on this forum, but I came here looking for help getting started on the Sonoma diet. I've been researching the meditteranean diet, but I understand that to be less about weight loss and more about maintaining health. I'm not too busy to read the books, but I'm so sick of being this heavy that I just can't bear to wait another day to start making some progress. I've been overweight for the last several years due to a hormone imbalance, which ultimately led to ovarian cancer. I'm not sure, now that my cancer treatment is over, why I have held onto this weight. I have never been skinny, but I was reasonably fit before these health problems. I guess I just thought the weight would come off naturally...but, I'm older now, I've had a hysterectomy, I'm not nearly as active, and my eating habits are not very good. In the South, we joke that if you stand still long enough we'll fry you up and see how you taste! I've recently found out that I'm insulin resistant (of course) and with a family history of diabetes, I am desperate to do something about this.

I plan to read the books - whatever is necessary, but I'm hoping to find some information that will allow me to get started now. Is there a food list and meal plan adaptation outline somewhere? Any Sonoma diet experts willing to set this fat chick on the right path? Please help!
MississippiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #2  

Just a quick note to say hi and welcome!!

I'm not familiar with the Sonoma diet but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you. There are so many helpful, inspiring people here; you are going to love it!

There are lots of threads to read but don't feel overwhelmed. You'll find a few favorite places to post and settle in quickly, everyone is so welcoming!

I wish you a lot of luck and look forward to reading your posts!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm no expert on the Sonoma diet, but you can certainly google "Sonoma Diet" and find tons of information. Looks like it's a diet centered on "super foods." From wikipedia I found this:

The diet plan consists managing portion sizes and eating approved foods centered around 10 items known as the "power foods". According to the creator of the diet these foods were chosen for their nutritional value and intense flavors. The power foods are whole grains, almonds, bell peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, grapes, spinach, blueberries, strawberries and olive oil.

So if you like those foods you are good to go (I eat a lot of these daily- in fact I'm eating broccoli right now!).

I noticed you said insulin resistance, have you considered south beach diet? I am on that and love it It's very good for insulin resistance
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #4  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're done with cancer treatment! Your post sounds like you have a positive kick butt attitude!

There is a section called general diet plans have you tried looking there for the Sonoma diet? Who knows, you may read about another plan that fits your needs, too.

Good luck!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #5  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi, and welcome! I'm sure I've seen that name before, but I don't know where from, so I'm sure it's from seeing a thread about it on here! Hope it goes well for you, and hope I'll see you around the forum some more!

Edit: here ya go! Whole food list in this thread

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sono...noma-diet.html

Last edited by the shiv; 05-15-2013 at 03:46 PM.
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #6  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Good Luck! I have a copy of that book myself. I really like the idea of a sonoma diet. I ADORED the recipes. In fact- I should pull that book off my bookshelf and flip through it.

Have you already cut most processed foods out of your diet?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #7  

Yes, Lunarsongbird...I eat mostly whole foods, but I think I have a problem with portion control. Also, I believe I eat the right foods in the wrong ratios. I lean towards more bread and less vegetables. Even though the bread is whole wheat, or even Ezekiel bread with no flour, or brown rice, etc... I tend to make those things the larger part of my meals when they should be a teenie tiny portion. I'm trying to make adjustments to get things right, but it's hard. I am not a big fan of meat, but I'm a carb addict to the point that I feel physically ill if I try to go cold turkey...it honestly feels like I've drunk Pine Sol, if that makes any sense to you. That's the best way I can describe it, and it gives me the trots!

I'm a mess! lol
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I noticed you said insulin resistance, have you considered south beach diet? I am on that and love it It's very good for insulin resistance
I have the SB diet memorized and I'm actually going to combine the Sonoma diet with it...they're very compatible. I have a "How to Adapt Your Mealplan" guide for SB, which I may tweak slightly for the Sonoma diet. I've done SB before and it is not difficult to do, but I never saw the results I was hoping for, so I abandoned it instead of sticking to it till I got results. I got frustrated too easily because my skinny cousin, who only did the diet with me for support, lost 13 lbs while I lost 2. And she was cheating! UGH!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shiv View Post
Edit: here ya go! Whole food list in this thread
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #10  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

Hi, and Welcome! It's so funny how you described being from the south - I just read a weight loss biography from someone from the south who lost 125 lbs, and that's exactly how he described it!

I'm not on the sonoma diet, but rather count calories and try to eat clean. I try to include almost all of the super-foods listed in my diet. I'm a bread freak too, but due to high blood sugar I've been really careful about how much bread I eat. I usually only eat it a few times a week and it's always whole grain...no more Olive Garden breadsticks or Texas Roadhouse rolls for me.

There are a lot of very informative threads on here, but it is a lot of information to process at once.

Best of luck to you!
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksong View Post
Hi, and Welcome! It's so funny how you described being from the south - I just read a weight loss biography from someone from the south who lost 125 lbs, and that's exactly how he described it!

There are a lot of very informative threads on here, but it is a lot of information to process at once.

Best of luck to you!
I think we invented comfort food, here in the South! Only, we don't only have it when we need comforting - we have it to celebrate, to socialize, and just because it's good. We gather around food, but we don't gather around healthy foods, at all...so, dieting means mostly eating alone and avoiding social and family gatherings. I've learned the hard way that I am not strong enough for long enough. I either have to isolate myself (which usually makes me feel like life is not worth living if this is what it takes to lose weight) or I just constantly try to minimize the damage, which is not a very effective way to lose weight. It doesn't help that most of my friends and family can eat whatever they want and they don't even know what it's like to need to lose weight. Ugh...it's frustrating! But, I'm whining now. LOL I know it must be tough for anyone to lose weight, otherwise, none of us would be heavy, right?

There is SOOOO much information on this site, and elsewhere. It's hard to sort through and get a solid plan out of it. Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #12  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

I'm kind of making it up as I go along. I woke up one day and decided I was tired (literally) of be being fat. I'm just counting calories, and exercising - it seems to be what's working for me. I hope you find what you need.

I think it's tough for all of us to be in social situations with food. My family's past time is going out to eat every week, and sometimes during the week, and sometimes for breakfast. It's a little nuts, but I try to find out what my options are beforehand and come up with a plan. I also try to eat something before I go to sometime like a pot luck so if I'm full I'll be less inclined to get into the various yummy casseroles.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #13  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksong View Post
I'm kind of making it up as I go along. I woke up one day and decided I was tired (literally) of be being fat. I'm just counting calories, and exercising - it seems to be what's working for me. I hope you find what you need.
The book I'm reading, Thin for Life, says that this is the best way to do it.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiChick View Post
I have the SB diet memorized and I'm actually going to combine the Sonoma diet with it...they're very compatible. I have a "How to Adapt Your Mealplan" guide for SB, which I may tweak slightly for the Sonoma diet. I've done SB before and it is not difficult to do, but I never saw the results I was hoping for, so I abandoned it instead of sticking to it till I got results. I got frustrated too easily because my skinny cousin, who only did the diet with me for support, lost 13 lbs while I lost 2. And she was cheating! UGH!
That's frustrating for sure! I found with me, I lose weight more when I do a "phase 1.5" than a phase 2.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #15  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I'm from the South. I moved to England. That got me off the biscuits and gravy.

AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote