Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Default Had an awful experience at the doctor today.

I went to a primary care doctor to establish everything. I had a few things I needed to cover since it has been a while since I've been. This man had something awful and condescending to say about everything I had questions for.

My list of things

- Get an ob referral to have my iud removed so I can ttc later this year.
His response "you know that iuds are just causing you I have an abortion. You need to have it removed and try the natural method by tracking your mucus its 100% effective" he also tried to explain to me that the baby is conceived but can't stay in the uterus. I then responded by "yes I'm aware the uterine wall is thinned out so a pregnancy can not occur"

I for some reason asked about other stuff like I thought he could help. He gave me a referral for the ob plus an ENT for a cyst on my ear. The only two helpful things he did.

I mentioned I had Athsma but it hasn't flared up since I quit smoking and I can run and its not as relevan since I lost 60 lbs. I then asked him to look at something on my back he said that it was Fine but that I needed to lose my weight and he wanted me to follow his diet plan. I took the paperwork annoyed at this point, I am losing and being fit just fine.

So the final straw I asked about something to help with my anxiety. He said " the running doesn't help? You shouldn't have anxiety if you run like you do" it made me feel so stupid. I replied "no but you can't run just whenever you have an Anxiety attack" to his response "you don't believe in god I presume" I pause shocked and astounded that he would judge me. "Yes i do but I don't understand why it matters" he said "just talk to god about it, and who ever causes you anxiety just talk it out, it's part of life" I wanted to scream "I can't talk it out don't you see!" But I just tried to explain what happens and he said " well if you want to become addicted to pills fine, I'll send you to a physiatrist and they can perscribe you, but I won't"

I just shook my head in defeat. It really just dragged me down and ruined my day, I felt like a moron. I had never felt so intruded upon by anyone. I was seeking help. And I got judgement. Ugh venting helps a little but I can't shake how I feel. I didn't go workout, my head wasn't in the right place. I know I'm not going back I just have to go back to tricare and get set up with another primary that's near me...
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #2  

There are so many things wrong with how he treated you but it would make me ill to acknowledge them the way you had to. Downright unprofessional (and those are the polite words that I can put here otherwise they'd be ^&*$#@).

Definitely time for a new doctor, esp. if you want (need) better answers to the things he couldn't/wouldn't do for you.

I'm so sorry you had that experience today.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #3  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

If I were you, I'd change doctors. He doesn't sound like he's all that concerned about actually helping you. Religious or not, I'll be damned if I have a medical professional tell me to just rely on my belief to take care of my issues instead of actually giving me medical assistance.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Thanks everyone. I think the thing that gets me is I do have beliefs but I have done research on things. I know there must be something to help with everything I have an ailment for. He said other things to everything but its so exhausting to think about it.

I mentioned him to a coworker and she said she's been to him and he gave her Xanax with no question or concern. Not that I want that Kim of treatment either, it just doesn't make sense that he would guilt me, but not care at all about another person and perscribe whatever. I do do do plan to switch. I rarely get sick, I just need him for referrals.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #5  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post

Definitely time for a new doctor.
What elvis said ^

And if he works with a medical group I would contact the Patient Advocate and lie a complaint.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I can't believe a physician would talk to you like that, as someone applying to medical school, I don't think I've have ever come across one who would speak that way to a patient, talk about unprofessional!! Oy I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I would definitely change physicians asap! Hope you're feeling better!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

That visit wouldn't have gone well for me either. What a jerk!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/209/150

I would have told him to leave the room and send in another physician.
gonnabfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

You could report his behaviour to your state's medical regulatory body. It might help you feel less victimized by this doofus doctor. I hate to think what he would have said to an agnostic like me.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 05-14-2013 at 11:57 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs

That guy is a complete quack! Never go back there!

I would also report him to your insurance company and the state medical board.

I'm sorry you had this awful experience, hugs to you
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #11  

I am a registered nurse and trust me on this one... That MD's behaviour was COMPLETELY unacceptable towards a patient and if it was my doctor I'd be lodging an official complaint
PS: I work is psychiatry and that's like the last thing you should say to a pt w anxiety or a mental health issue - what a doofus

Last edited by chaitea115; 05-15-2013 at 02:14 AM.
chaitea115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I don't disagree with a word he said and still find that incredibly unprofessional, unless the patient clearly indicates they wish to discuss details and opinions in that vein (and even then, it is arguably outside the scope of his practice, depending on how he is credentialed and what his retention contract entails).

While I wouldn't be offended, as I agree with his premises, I would either lodge an anonymous complaint or go to him, directly, and explain your issues with his handling of your case. Sometimes dealing with it in that way and not escalating it up a disciplinary chain can be a wise response, especially if you get the impression he wasn't trying to be insensitive but was just unaware the information wasn't being received the way he may have intended.

Not professional of him, unless he is running his own private, family practice, and even then it was skirting the line of what I'd consider acceptable from a family GP who doesn't have strong rapport with me.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-15-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #13  

Height: 5"6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
If I were you, I'd change doctors. He doesn't sound like he's all that concerned about actually helping you. Religious or not, I'll be damned if I have a medical professional tell me to just rely on my belief to take care of my issues instead of actually giving me medical assistance.
I am going to echo Lauren to a t. OMG sending love your way, and here's hoping you move on. It won't fix everything right away, but having a new professional look at things will relieve some of the anxiety! What an a$$hat!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #14  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

Geez...I thought my GP was horrible. I probably would have been in tears by the end of that visit, I hope you find a new doctor - one that's willing to listen to you anyway.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I am so lucky to have a wonderful doc! Sorry you met that asshat! I also want to jump on the report him bandwagon... It might be empowering to you, and keep him from treating others in the same disgraceful manner.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote