South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

Default No alcohol, really??

Hi all,

Ok, I'm willing to commit to eating the right foods, but there really isn't such thing as a "diet", it should be a lifestyle change, right? And i should make a change that's realistic for my life, right?

So let's be honest. I am a 35 year old women, and i work hard and love life. I like to indulge with some bevvies on the weekend. Ok, lots of bevvies. I am a Nascar fanatic and watching the races with a bunch of beers is my idea of heaven.

Do I really have to give that up? It's part of my life. If I stick to low carb, low calorie beer, is that ok? I don't know if I want to give that up...
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

I'm not in South Beach diet, but I've done a relatively lower carb diet in the past, and I found I could still lose weight with a few drinks, as long as I kept the eating completely clean. But the caveat is that I don't drink beer (don't like it), my beverage of choice is red wine. In fact, as an experiment, I tried not drinking for most of a summer, and I found that the wine (or lack thereof) didn't seem to affect my weight one way or the other (I didn't suddenly lose weight because I stopped drinking wine and adding it back in didn't make me gain it). Granted, other people seem to have trouble losing weight while drinking alcohol, so everyone is different. You could try just changing your food and then eating lighter on the days you're going to enjoy more beer and see how it goes...
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #3  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

The Sonoma and Mediterranean diets allow red wine. I think if you're gonna drink, beer is probably the worst choice because its high in carbs.

I'm not supposed to drink at all on my plan (Medifast), but my counsellor told me that if I must drink, drink a vodka tonic plain - fewest calories, fewest carbs.

Last edited by SuperHeroTeacher; 05-14-2013 at 09:13 PM.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/209/175

I'd say try it out and see if you still lose weight while drinking beer. You get to make your own rules!

Liquor is lower carb, if you're concerned about carbs. I don't drink much lately because it tends to make me want to eat like crazy!
angelarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

You're allowed a light beer on Phase II, if I remember correctly...just not on Phase I. Having said that, if it's something that's on your "must do" list, adjust for those days you'll be partaking. I mean, I'm assuming it's not an everyday, thing, right???

Just be prepared to see the scale inch up w/, at the least, some water weight.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

I'm not on South Beach but I drink like a fish. And the good stuff too. Strong IPAs and red wine. Doesn't seem to affect me one bit. They both contain zero fat. Skip the cocktails though. Mixers can be dangerous.

And I actually believe that hoppy beers have helped to speed up my weight loss. There is evidence for mice....and for me too!

Last edited by IanG; 05-15-2013 at 01:02 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I'm not on South Beach but I drink like a fish. And the good stuff too. Strong IPAs and red wine. Doesn't seem to affect me one bit. They both contain zero fat. Skip the cocktails though. Mixers can be dangerous.

And I actually believe that hoppy beers have helped to speed up my weight loss. There is evidence for mice....and for me too!
BUUUUUUUUUT...as you stated, you're not on South Beach. Alcohol converts to sugar and South Beach operates off the glycemic index. In all honesty, if it's that important to "drink like a fish" South Beach probably isn't the diet for you (in general...not directed at you, Ian, or the original poster). Again, just my 2 cents.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks and you are absolutely correct Natasha.

For me this whole journey has been about identifying my diet "deal busters" and either accepting losing them or working round them.

Everything else has gone (sugar, candy, fast food, large portions, soft drinks) but I decided to not let a few beers break my weigh loss effort, so I let them in with open arms. It would have been no beer-no diet for me!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Thanks for all yur replies!!

So my beer intake is only on the weekends, I don't have anything to drink during the week. And I tend to stick with the lowest calorie/carb beer there is.

I think my issue is that when I drink, I tend to eat whatever I can cram in my mouth. So I think I'll just make a deal with myself...

I won't cut out the beer so much, but I will eliminate the gorging that comes with it. And I'll see what happens....
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #10  
Patience & Tenacity

S/C/G: 386/T/154

In phase one, absolutely no alcohol - but it's only two weeks of your life.

In phase two, a 5 oz glass of wine, 12 oz beer or 1.5 oz liquor. But only one, not several, is allowed per day.

In the past I drank Bloody Marys. Also gin, diet tonic water and a twist of lime.
If I splurged, it was a margarita made with tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice. The Cointreau was the cheat... lol

I did not do this often simply because I have a hard time drinking just one and it's harder to control what I eat.

Last edited by FrecklesTX; 05-21-2013 at 08:18 PM.
FrecklesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

I am dwelling on SB for the health benefits as well as weight loss. I need to re-read the book, but I was very taken by the heart health + that SB offers. Especially since my brother died from a heart attack and my doctor emphasizes this "diet" as the best for me. I'm not a big beer drinker so no issues for me there as well and I mainly drink wine and try to keep to red. That being said, my DH has lost a lot 40+ pounds on SB and like IanG , drinks like a fish. Mostly beer and red wine, but a LOT. He enjoys it, never gets sloppy drunk and never gains weight. (Ticks me off a bit LOL) He does stick pretty strictly to SB though , works out 2+ hours / week and his blood work is great. I think a lot depends on the persons biological makeup and whether you can or can't drink and maintain the level of weight loss/health benefits depends on that.
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

I'd like to meet your husband.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #13  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Ian, I haven't drank much on my diet because I like to have a meal for dinner, but on occasion I have substituted my meal for alcohol. This Sunday was one of those occasions - and I actually thought of you when I was drinking it!

I was at Epcot at Disney World this weekend. While I was standing in line at a concession stand in the German pavilion to get a pretzel for my kids, they had assorted German beers on draft. I wanted one SO BAD because it looked and smelled so good. As I was standing in line, I debated whether I should let myself have one. In the past, I may have just rationalized "hey, you're on vacation. Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about the calories." But then I thought to myself, I don't have to rationalize. I just have to make it part of my plan. If I have it, I won't indulge as much for dinner, or I'll forgo having a snack. So I had one! It WAS one of the best beers I've ever had. So many times after indulge my cravings I will feel bad or guilty afterwards for doing so. But not this time. I was very happy that I chose to have the beer because I enjoyed it so much. And I stuck to my plan and fit the beer into it.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

Good work Joe! And glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited by IanG; 05-28-2013 at 11:53 AM.