South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Hey Beach Bums! ;)

My name is Sophie. Funny story, I went to the thrift shop the other day to look for a copy of the Akins diet. To my luck, I found the South Beach Diet book instead, I bought it. I started reading into it yesterday and today and let me tell you, I'm quite impressed and am seriously thinking of following this diet instead. I had bought this book in the past but never read it and gave it away. I just broke up with my boyfriend (of 8 years!) and I moved back at my parents house this weekend. I've decided I was starting Couch-2-5K today (they have a treadmill for yucky days!) and I wanted to start a diet with it too. Now that I won't have the daily temptations from the boyfriend, I think I can really change my life around. I was hoping to read most part of the book at lunch and go the grocery store tonight but didn't get that far. That's ok though. I have an idea of what I should eat so I'm going to the grocery store today and buying lean meats, eggs, canadian bacon, fish, veggies, nuts & cheese. I'll be weighing myself daily and keeping track of my weight. So, May 7 is my offical start date of the South Beach Diet.

PS. Just saw the Peanut Butter Cookies in the recipe section... omg yummy!... HAHA!
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Hi Sophie and welcome to the beach. The recipe section has been my saving grace! I've been living this lifestyle for over a year and am truly happy with the ease of it. The key for me is planning. I cut up my veggies for snacks so I have no excuse not to eat them. The boards are great for ideas and advice so check in often.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/226/175

Height: 5'11"

Welcome Sophie!

I'm honestly the laziest eater/exerciser in the planet, and I'm having amazing success with South Beach. It's easy to follow and understand, and I really don't feel like I'm missing out on the things I can't eat. I've been on it about three weeks with a few non-successful diet days, and I've lost thirteen pounds.

Good luck!
AlleyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #4  

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

@Jekel: Planning is key for me too with any diets. I love finding new recipes too. Example, I made a cabbage lasagna once. DELICIOUS! I'll be making it on this diet too. You have to try it if you haven't already. Just substitute your lasagna noodles for steamed/boiled cabbage leaves.

@AlleyJude: Wow! 13 lbs in 3 weeks is AMAZING!! I hope I have the same results. C:

I actually didn't go to the grocery store yesterday but I'm still reading the book. I decided to finish reading it before starting. That way, I'll know all the facts. I've also decided that I will put Couch-2-5K on hold until I can add some carbs in my diet again. Wouldn't want to colapse on my run or anything. It's a long book anyways. I'm only at page 50 something. I love reading all the success stories in between. They're really inspiring.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the site, Sophie!!! I'm glad you picked up the SBD book instead!!! I've found it to be the only diet that works for me AND the easiest to adapt to a REAL life. Hope you find the same to be true for you!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #6  
8 Hour Diet/South Beach

Sophie, it was meant to be that you found the South Beach Diet book instead of Atkins! In my opinion, SB is so much easier. No counting carb grams all day, just knowing what we can and can't eat.

I'm starting South Beach P1 tomorrow, in combination with the 8 Hour Diet (intermittent fasting). In the 8 hour book it talks about combining it with other eating plans like South Beach. South Beach seems like a great fit because I just can't do the numbers game anymore. Let's see...I've counted calories, points, fat grams, carb grams, and food exchanges in my life. Whew! No more!
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #7  

Thanks guys! I'm still reading the book. I'm a slow reader but I'm trying to grasp all the information I can. Don't want to miss things haha!

@Nathasha: Thanks! I've actually been explaining stuff to my mom. She thinks I'm going to starve because I can't have bread & pasta for the first two weeks. I've done many diets in the past that doesn't allow it at first and I found recipes that I love that I don't even notice it anymore. The first few days are the toughest but the cravings disapear after a while.

@Sunrise: I think it WAS really meant to be haha! I just can't wait to get started on it. I'll probably have read it all by the end of the weekend so hopefully, I'll be starting it on Monday. For some reason, I'm terrified to try intermittent fasting. I read good reviews on it but I tried fasting for a day and I was sooooo hungry. I'm just going to stick to South Beach. But good luck to you!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieCormier View Post
@Natasha: Thanks! I've actually been explaining stuff to my mom. She thinks I'm going to starve because I can't have bread & pasta for the first two weeks. I've done many diets in the past that doesn't allow it at first and I found recipes that I love that I don't even notice it anymore. The first few days are the toughest but the cravings disapear after a while.
Oh, bless those dear mama's hearts. My mom is always concerned that people aren't eating enough, so I get it. Even when I move on from Phase I, I have to be careful w/ my bread. It is a huge trigger for me and I amd somewhat of a bread addict...so staying away is the best course of action, I've found. I'll allow myself to have bread a couple of times a week, but that's my limit. And I need to stick to that this time around, LOL
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #9  

Starting this tomorrow! Going grocery shopping tonight.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #10  

Ok, so today is day 1 of phase 1.
Start weight 188.0
Goal weight 135.0 (53 lbs weight loss!)

So this morning, had the WORST eggs of my life. I decided to do scrambled eggs so I decided to cook them with Canola Oil. WORST MISTAKE EVER! It was SOOOO gross! I had to pinch my nose while eating them. Thank god for the bacon I had afterwards. That was pure nasty!

Today's Menu
Breakfast:
2 eggs (scrambled with olive oil and salt)
2 bacon slices (cooked in microwave)
1 coffee (with coffee mate & sugar)

Snack:
herb cheese stick
15 almonds

Lunch:
chicken salad (I think)

Dinner:
taco salad (YUMMY!)

Snack:
30 calories fudgesicle

I need to find recipes that will make this easier for me. I have no idea what to have for lunch & dinner.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #11  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

to the beach!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #12  

Yuck...eggs w/ canola oil (or olive oil...you said both, LOL) sounds gross. Why not use Smart Balance??? That's what I do and it's fantastic. Or at least some non-fat cooking spray.