Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #198

Hi Candice, Joanne and Yami no Ryu.

Candice - I got your card, thank you. I did send you my PC, as a reply on your note. I used to send out cards, but now I find it a source of irritation so haven't done so now for the second year. My fingers hurt a lot, and that is the problem with writing out cards. Your family has grown and you are all looking wonderfully well (especially you, when you are sick). You know what they say - "But you don't look sick!" Yeah, right!

Joanne - I am sorry to hear that your son and DIL are still there and not planning on making a move soon. I love my kids, but I don't want to live with them, or have them live with me. When my son moved back home for a short time, several years ago, we reverted back to the MOTHER/SON relationship instead of moving forward. I believe that is just natural, but still I was used to having my house the way I wanted it. Enjoy your time at your daughters and a bit of a respite. Hope you keep feeling not too bad.

Yami - nice to see you here. I can't tolerate any of the pain meds either, so I have had to look elsewhere. I have OArthritis as well, and I have been able to manage it and the FM, through chiropractic treatment and massage, and a few other things over the years. I am better now than I have been in years. Not so much pain from the FM anymore either, but still get that darn fatigue and brain fog. I try to eat lots of fruit and veggies, and protein. I have done well with staying away from sugar and starches (in the form of bread, pasta etc) but eat potates and they don't seem to bother me. I have recently been diagnosed with Hypoglycemia as well, and that plays into the Atrial Fibrillation that hasn't been too good the past couple of months.

Take one day at a time, copy the letter you read here, and give it to those that need to understand.

I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #2  
All Around Crazy Lady

S/C/G: 235/228.5/180

Height: 5' 9"

Thanks for the advice I always feel better when going to the chiropractor. Also, I find if I take in too much salt, it makes it MUCH worse. Starches don't seem to bother me overmuch, and I'm glad. I love my pasta! LOL
Yami no Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #3  

I see you are Canadian as well, just at the opposite end than me lol I live in Alberta. I didn't think that wheat was a problem for me at all, but then I watched the Wheat Belly guy that wrote the book. He was on Dr. Oz, and I found it very interesting. Had already not been eating it. Dr. Oz did a test for all to see: To see if it was true or not. He had a few women eat a sandwich for lunch, then tested their blood sugar levels; The next day, he had the same women eat a chocolate bar and did the same test again. He was amazed that their blood sugar level was higher from the bread than from the chocolate bar. It is the higher blood sugar that stores the fat. I don't think I have lost one ounce from NOT eating starches or sugar, so I don't know what to do next. I believe it is the Beta Blocker that I have to take for the Atrial Fibrillation that interferes with the way your blood sugars work.

I love pasta as well, but after eating it, I feel bloated.

I guess the best thing to do, is leave all additives alone. I do no that MSG is a real problem for me, as it gets my heart palpitating and causes a migraine. I think as wel learn more and move forward, we all find out what our triggers are, especially those of us who can't take meds.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #4  
All Around Crazy Lady

S/C/G: 235/228.5/180

Height: 5' 9"

MSG does me in.

I saw my pharmacist today for the first time in several months. He used to be HUGE, but he's lost so much weight. He has a ways to go, but he's not in imminent danger of death....seriously, he was. I asked him how he was doing it and he said he completely cut out processed foods. If it's not real food, he doesn't eat it. He was, and still is, too big to exercise but he is well on his way. I'm so very proud of him, and I intend to follow his advice.
Yami no Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #5  

Glad to see you are still here. Was great reading your posts. I am fine-as good as can be expected with 3 kinds of arthritis but I am so happy I had that back surgery!!! I probably wouldn;t even be walking.
Such great weather in FL-everyone back home is totally snowed in. My little girls are one and almost 3. My son was here a couple of weeks ago so I got to see Addy. I had to go back home because my favorite aunt died-almost 90. Got the flu and couldn't fight it. But she was in poor health. They had a lovely service and I got to see all my cousins, brothers and Addy and Lily.
Bye for now. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #6  

Hello ladies, glad to see some posts here..lots of times I talk to myself on the board.

Happy....thanks for x-mas wishes....Yeah meds can be a drag....I can't do them either. Glad you are getting the fm thing undercontrol....I think I have it then a big weather system comes through and wow...pain pain pain~!~ or I just do something that bothers me..most things do.

Hi Yami....yes msg is a killer and am finding pout salt is too....well I don't do salt but you get it in hidden in most things.....dh brought a meal home tonight and it was loaded with sodium..I like to cook my own and use no salt...this week has been bad.....

Mima..good to see you and gld your back surgery is helping..I am having back trouble...hurt it last summer, got better and now I hurt it again...have to use a cane sometimes to get around so I won't fall....just picking up something little will bother me...still taking down my lights and things form x-mas....

Our 1rst grandbaby will be here soon and we will travel a 3 and half hr trip to go see here..but not right away...the mother wants to rest a bit before having company.

Joanne and how are you doing and Meme????????
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #7  

Wow for the grandbaby Candice. You are going to be so happy . I waited to go see Addy-her other grandma was there.Brrr-cold and windy here today. My daughter and Lily are coming down in a week. Lily is almost 3-miss her so much.
She;s still a redhead. Bye for now Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #8  

We just got back from seeing Little Eliana Rose, she is just precious!!!! I miss her already.

Mima we have a redhead too

Last edited by Candicej; 03-09-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #9  

Last edited by Candicej; 07-05-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #10  

Hi Candice and Mima.

Candice - congrats on that beautiful new baby. How sweet. NOTHING is like a gchild. Wonderful. My first gdaughter will be 15 next month. Sure don't know where the time goes. Good grief!

Mima - when doyou come back home? Or are you going to live fulltime in Florida now?

Not much going on here. Planning a trip to europe in May so hoping all goes well. Have trouble with the Atrial Fibrillation but the FM has improved a LOT. Just the fatigue that is annoying, but that comes and goes. Right now, with the change of seasons, I am more aware of all of it.

Have a good evening
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #11  

Happy I never did get your postal code..please send it again:....my fm was doing good for a few months and then the time change and weather thing..glad you are feeling well enough to travel. You get around quite a bit for and old lady!LOL

WE miss seeing our Little Eliana, she is growing so fast. Can't believe yours is 15...wow!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #12  

Hello ladies. Been a while since I've been here. I see the thread is still not being used much. I have not been well. Disease has progressed more plus I've had colds and the flu and then I fell and have been in a wheelchair and on crutches ... still on crutches and they have messed up my hands, arms and shoulders and thrown everything else out of whack. Not complaining... could have been a lot worse. Hubby also fell ... he was very lucky. He fell off a ladder in the garage and hit the boat motor, a large table AND a saw before crashing on a concrete floor and came away walking! God is good! It is storming tonight so that just makes it all worse.

I've missed talking to all of you. I hope you've been good! I just haven't really felt like 'talking' to anyone. I know you've been there before ...
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #13  

Hi All,

My name is Sabrina and I'm brand new to 3FC. I do apologize in advance if I'm not doing this correctly...forums are really new to me!

I'm from the US originally (SF Bay Area!) but I now currently live in beautiful Queensland, Australia. As I'm posting on this tread, I'm sure you've guessed my obstacle as well...I was diagnosed with a chronic pain condition similar to fibro about a month ago. The worst part that I'm struggling with most? The condition started with my health kick! Yup, the pain all started when I started losing weight...ugh! So even though my doc is suggesting I get back to the weight loss journey, a big part of me wants to just give up and eat cake instead (with a HUGE glass of wine..hehe).

I'm a little too shy to put up my numbers yet, but I would love some advice from some fellow fibro warriors. What diets have you had success with? Google is both a friend and enemy as I've tried to look up fibro diets and have found info on going gluten-free, South Beach, etc...it's gets overwhelming so quickly! I've tried Jenny Craig and had success, but dropped out due to expense (not working at the moment) and I've tried Weight Watchers at home but I think having no support is my main issue.

I would also love some feedback on what you do to cope with all the joys of fibro. A friend's mom has the same condition and I've had a chat with her and she's recommending walking, water aerobics and yoga/stretching for exercise along with losing weight, plenty of sleep (thinking of trying to fit in daily naps...thoughts?), and massage as her main methods for coping. I know that everyone responds differently but I'm curious to know what you have tried and what has had success for you.

Sorry for the long post and sorry if I'm butting in as well! Thanks in advance for all your help

Last edited by sabrinadmd; 04-16-2013 at 04:55 AM.
sabrinadmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #14  

I think this thread has been abandoned.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #15  

Not completely Meme!