Old 05-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default How often do you get sick?

I'm sick AGAIN. Doesn't it just feel like I was sick recently? When was that? February?

Ugh. It's a bronchial thing. :: shrugs ::
On the plus side- I'm not freaking out like I was last time I wasn't feeling well. Last time I was sick, I was like..."UGH- How am I going to stay on plan? Freak out!"

I no longer crave McDonald's for comfort. Or sugar. So far I haven't been craving anything for comfort. I have been doing some mindful meditation though.

But I AM tired of being sick. How often do you get sick a year?
(Apparently I'm a crankypotamus and think that ANY time I get sick is too often.)
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #2  

What is your vitamin D blood level?

Prior to this winter I went to Florida every Thanksgiving and had a decent blood level for the winter (45 ng per ml) or more. This thanksgiving I went to NYC and was not diligent about supplementing. I got FOUR... count um.. FOUR colds. I never get colds in the winter. Sure enough.. when I got my blood levels tested in February / March I was insufficient. (24 ng per ml)
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #3  
Living Intuitively

Interesting....I haven't had my Vitamin D levels checked in a couple years, but last time it was pretty darn low. I've been supplementing, but not consistently enough. That's a good reminder.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I rarely get sick. Last year when I had my D checked it was 8! I now take a 5,000 iu D3 supplement daily in addition to a multi which also has D, and I always take it at the same time as my fish oil, which my cardiologist said would help with absorption (because D is fat soluble). Eager to see what my level is when I have my physical in June.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
Interesting....I haven't had my Vitamin D levels checked in a couple years, but last time it was pretty darn low. I've been supplementing, but not consistently enough. That's a good reminder.
Once I lost weight I figured I could take less and so went from 4000 IU to 1000 IU and was pretty darn spotty with it. I thought 1000IU would be enough... but I was wrong. Now I am 4000 IU per day and .. if I miss a dose I double up. I will be getting another test in June.

What was interesting... I guess... was that all the colds seemed to be down in my lungs. Not so much runny eyes or stuffed nose but mostly cough and sore throat. Which is unusual for me.

I first discovered my vitamin D level being low in 2009. It was very low I think 15 ngs and since then I have worked hard to keep it up and I can state without a doubt that I didn't have colds in the winter. My job is such that sometimes I just cannot take time off... no matter if I have a cold so I know I didn't have a cold. This winter was horrible working with a cold.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #6  

I'm afraid to curse myself talking about getting sick or not getting sick so I'm just here to tell you I hope you feel better!! And yay for not having cravings!! And you have been doing so well, there is no way that McDonald's would make you feel better now!!

Take good care of yourself.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #7  
Living Intuitively

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRue View Post

What was interesting... I guess... was that all the colds seemed to be down in my lungs. Not so much runny eyes or stuffed nose but mostly cough and sore throat. Which is unusual for me.
THIS is exactly what I have right now!! All in the chest, which is so odd!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #8  
Living Intuitively

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
And you have been doing so well, there is no way that McDonald's would make you feel better now!!

Take good care of yourself.
Thanks. The mere thought of fast food now makes my tummy turn. I'm so pleased with how far I've come.

A couple days ago I made myself homemade chicken stock from a pastured chicken, so I've been trying to get that in during the mornings.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #9  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

I get a tummy bug about once a year and it's usually a doozy. (Remember the swine flu a couple years ago? Thought I was gonna DIE.) I don't even remember the last time I had a cold/respiratory thing. I don't know what my secret is, but I'm very grateful for my immune system!

Get well soon, Lunar!

Last edited by Novus; 05-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #10  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

I used to get sick alllll the time when I was in school and college. I started using purell hand sanitizer all the time and that cut the amount of times I got sick by a very LARGE amount. I actually tested that stuff out in my microbiology class and it really does kill germs and viruses (not all of them obviously) relatively quickly; it also prevented new cultures from growing. Once I started eating well, I almost never get sick (knock on wood). The one time I did in the last 2 years was after being on an airplane.

**I also get my flu shot every year...forgot to add that.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Last edited by Tziri; 05-11-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #11  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I used to get bronchitis several times a year. But once I cleaned up my diet and got rid of all processed foods, I haven't gotten sick at all.

Until this winter! OMG! It was like a bowling alley of viruses. I got sick four different times. I haven't gotten a flu shot in three years, but this was the first time I regretted that decision.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I hope you feel better soon!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Feel better soon!!

Knock on wood, I hardly ever get sick. Everyone in my family will get something and it passes me right by. Hope it stays that way.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #14  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I work nights in a nursing home. All of last year, every time I got sick, it was right after cutting my calories. So this last year I gave up because of that. This year I did get sick after cutting my calories but I powered through. It's hard for me to know if it's from my lifestyle/job or what not.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I hope I don't jinx myself here, but I never get sick and haven't had a cold in years. I never use sick days at work except for doctor appointments, a same day surgery a few years ago, a colonoscopy 5 years ago, mammograms - that sort of thing - and to occasionally play hooky. I don't even get headaches or have heartburn since I stopped eating crap. Life is good.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote