View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #438
veggiedaze

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I agree it's a risk, but for me, at this moment, it's a risk worth taking. I might also argue that the brain connection never really fades, even if we quit the behaviour entirely, so either way we need to maintain our vigilance.

F.
It is really an interesting question about whether neurological connections fade. I would agree that they never disapear completely, but I do think they fade and weaken. I played the violin for 20 years. I haven't played for about 5 years now and picked it up just the other day out of curiosity. I am very rusty, and am not as good as before, my fingers don't quite go as automatically as they used to, but I am sure with a littlle practice I would be back to where I was; whereas someone who has never played would not be able to improve so quickly. I think unfortunately I will always have the bingeing brain connection brought on by starvation in my early twenties, but I am thinking by not acting on it, it will weaken alot. Much like smoking did for me as a teenager. I smoked and loved loved loved that brain rush. I quit because I knew it was not healthy. I felt at the time of quitting that I would live the rest of my days longing for one because i got so much pleasure from it, but I think that's the addiction itsellf that thinks that. Sure I could smoke right now and get pleasure from it and of course I remember the pleasure when I see someone smoking, but I don't spend my days longing for one (I did for a few months after quitting). I think if right now I had one, it would be easier for me to have another as opposed to if a forever non smoker had one right now. They would not be wired for it yet whereas my weak wires would strengthen. Of course this is just a thought, and makes for an interesting conversation.

Last edited by veggiedaze : 05-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.