Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Default Men and Curves

I lost weight for myself, and I'm happy with the way I look. (FWIW, my husband likes it too. ) But I've noticed whenever a woman complements me, the other men in the room jump in to say they prefer a woman with more curves! It's all good--although I'm starting to get tire marks on my back, from being thrown under the bus!! ;-) We women are just more strict on body-fat comp than the men!

I've actually noticed this at work--too--I'm a fashion stylist, and I work with both men's magazines and women's magazines. The women's magazines cast models who are muuuuuuch thinner, and less curvy than the men's magazines do!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

This is so individual-specific that you run the risk of driving yourself nuts for nothing!

Me....thinner/less curvy means HOT HOT HOT!

So please don't post a pic. We are both married after all!

Last edited by IanG; 05-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I've heard men specify that they like thinner women, but I've also heard the flip side, too.

I personally prefer men who are toned, rather than men who have bulging/extremely defined muscles. I'm sure there are women out there who disagree with me.

Last edited by PreciousMissy; 05-08-2013 at 03:37 PM.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
I personally prefer men who are toned, rather than men who have bulging/extremely defined muscles.
I'm neither. Where does that put me?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #5  

I think, HungryHungryHippo, that it could matter how you dress too. I know that not all women have defined curves but there are dresses or tops/bottoms that can give the illusion of curves.

I can say, as a totally straight woman, that there is something so beautiful about a woman with major curves going on (even if she's a plus size, it's all in the presentation of said curves) but then I can find a total stick-figure (for the lack of a better word!) woman absolutely beautiful too.

I guess it's more in how the woman carries herself, dresses herself, accessorizes herself, that would define the beauty and not the curves themselves.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

It's also about pretty face (in the eye of the beholder), confidence and so much other stuff too though Elvis. One size does not fit all.

Obese never did anyone much good though. I can attest to that.

So feel good with you, and the men will follow.

Last edited by IanG; 05-08-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #7  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
This is so individual-specific that you run the risk of driving yourself nuts for nothing!

Me....thinner/less curvy means HOT HOT HOT!

So please don't post a pic. We are both married after all!
First, just because somebody says they "prefer" a women with more curves, that does not mean that they find less curvy women un-attractive. It most likely just means that -- all things being equal -- they prefer more curves. Ian is right... in a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sense. Its all a matter of individual taste.

Like Ian, one of my co-workers is attracted to very thin, non-curvy women. He's always pointed them out when we've been out of the office together -- and he eventually married a women with that type of body. His wife is very attractive. I think that anybody would think so. But all things being equal, I prefer women with more curves. So, when he points out the women he finds really hot, I don't see what he fusses over.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #8  

Quote:
It's also about pretty face (in the eye of the beholder), confidence and so much other stuff too though Elvis. One size does not fit all.
You are correct.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

Quote:
I'm neither. Where does that put me?
You're married remember
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
I've heard men specify that they like thinner women, but I've also heard the flip side, too.

I personally prefer men who are toned, rather than men who have bulging/extremely defined muscles. I'm sure there are women out there who disagree with me.
Definitely with you on that one!

This is something I've wondered about too. When I used to go to the gym I would always hear guys talk about girls who were too chunky but in my eyes they just looked curvy, so I think it def depends on who you ask!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #11  

I think as far as attractive men are concerned, I could write down a list of physical features and physical characteristics here that I like in a man but in reality, the real men I have been attracted to in real life sometimes don't fall into any of those requirements.

There are men who have turned my head that weren't my type (on the above-mentioned list) that for whatever reason did it for me. So we may all have our types but that has nothing to do with attraction and compatibility.

And Joe---I know someone like the guy you mentioned. But I will never know if he loves her (like REAL love) or if she's just a status thing for him like his boat and fancy wheels. He loves pretty things and she sure is pretty.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Yea, I think what you're describing is similar to buying a new car. Ya know how you buy a new car, you've never seen it before and it's so beautiful - then now you own it you see it everywhere, everyday!

I don't remember what that phenomenon is called but I feel like this is similar... Everyone has different preferences, you are just becoming more aware of the people who prefer curvy women now that youre skinny! (I bet when you were "curvier" these men were nowhere to be found)

Don't stress!

As far as my taste in men, it's not typical either! I hate bulky muscles! I'd prefer a chubbier guy that reminds me of a teddy bear than an Arnold Schwarzenegger look-a-like anyday!
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #13  
Started IP 10/21/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
There are men who have turned my head that weren't my type (on the above-mentioned list) that for whatever reason did it for me. So we may all have our types but that has nothing to do with attraction and compatibility.
I completely agree with that statement! When I started dating again I was attracted to guys that fell into my type. Turns out I had my "type" all wrong.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
I lost weight for myself, and I'm happy with the way I look. (FWIW, my husband likes it too. ) But I've noticed whenever a woman complements me, the other men in the room jump in to say they prefer a woman with more curves! It's all good--although I'm starting to get tire marks on my back, from being thrown under the bus!! ;-) We women are just more strict on body-fat comp than the men!

I've actually noticed this at work--too--I'm a fashion stylist, and I work with both men's magazines and women's magazines. The women's magazines cast models who are muuuuuuch thinner, and less curvy than the men's magazines do!
I hate it when that happens. All sorts of traits are beautiful, and there is NO accounting for individual taste. It is generally true that what women find appealing in their own sex and what men find appealing in the opposite sex are a quite different set of traits, but the converse is also true. What many men aspire to as the dude ideal is often not what xyz Jane walking down the street would consider 'ideal' for their taste. As an example - most men don't aspire to look like Orlando Bloom or Ryan Gosling, but most women don't lust after Tom Venuto or Serge Nubret (excuse the old school reference ).

I'm sorry you've been treated that way by men. They probably don't mean anything by it, but that doesn't make it feel less cruddy to be held up as what someone DOESN'T want to look like. It happens with obese women and slender women, alike, and it's very destructive.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Well, I am just shocked that someone would, in response to a compliment to you, go on to say that they don't like your body type, but like something totally different. That is insane!

And I completely agree w other posters that people like all sorts of different things. The women I always find most attractive (and, well, you can take this w a grain of salt since I'm into guys) look like I did when I was younger. lol Is that creepy? But it's a very particular look -- severely pear shaped with big strong legs. The media gives this look no play at all, but I know I'm not the only one who likes it bc my dance card was always full back then!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote