View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
2feelbetter

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 8"

Default water not so warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

I would HIGHLY recommend checking with your local Arthritis Foundation, Department on Aging and Disability Resources, United Way, doctor, Health Department, YMCA, or google to see if you can find a warm water exercise program (the warmer, the better to start). I started my exercise in such a program, and it was awesome. Not only did it allow me to exercise painlessly, just being in the water relieved much of my pain. It's a shame that every community doesn't have access to such programs, but they are much more common than most people realize - they tend to be hidden treasures - hidden in plain sight, but invisible because they're rarely advertised or promoted.
I take my water aerobics classes at the local Y and while they are advertised as warm water sometimes the water is freezing. We have this problem quite often. Lots of us wear tops on over our suits. The therometer is in the pool and it will say 85degrees but the air in the pool area can be cold. We even tell them sometimes to turn up the heat..... I'm on my way there tonight. I've been going for 2 years. Lately it's starting to hurt my knees even doing that so I'll take my weight or sometimes I use the belt in the the shallow end just so my aching feet and hurting knees don't touch the floor.