Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I'd Like to Give This Diet Another Try

I had tried this diet about a year or two ago and had really found it easy to follow. The only problem I got was on day 6 of Induction, I got up and walked to the kitchen. I felt really dizzy. I kept holding onto the counters to keep my balance and then I walk towards the fridge and pretty much fainted. My boyfriend at the time caught me before I fell and brought me to the couch. I wasn't out of it but was freaked out because it had never happened to me before. I checked my blood and it was very low. I had to get off the diet. When I went to my doctors, she told me to get off this diet and to try something else (like Weight Watchers). I stopped and just tried other diets but nothing's really worked for me. I really want to give this diet another try but don't want to go through that episode again. I gave away BOTH my books to people and they don't have it anymore. I have two questions for you guys. 1. What should I do for this low-sugar not to happen again? I heard having almonds next to my bed, would it sabotage to do that? 2. Do I need to get another copy of the book? I'll have to wait forever to get here. I could always start without it and still order though it right?

Thanks!
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Hey! I'm about to start it up again too. The reason I stopped last time was feeling lethargic, as well during phase 1. It really turned me off to the diet at that time. But here I am contemplating Ideal Protein, but it's $350 to start! Whaaaaa...??? I'll do it, but, I keep thinking, why not try Atkins again? I'm going to feel the same way during the induction ANYway, why not push through that feeling this time? I'm going to review my book again this weekend and see about getting things moving again for myself! I never did push through the fog and the nausea and ate a cheeseburger on day 20. The BUN was outstanding, but I hate that I quit. I lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks.

Do you have a kindle or the kindle app on your phone? I have the book on there to reference for myself. Nice to have it on hand like that.
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #3  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello to the 2 of you and welcome!

Gosh.. I am sorry that you both had light headedness and Sophie that really mush have been scary collapsing/fainting.. I am so sorry.... It does sound like your body was stressed out at the time and your blood sugar must have been really low.... I know that the new book is alittle leanient about the foods that you can eat and they offer more veggies allowed and cheeses and nuts on OWL. They even allow for the Atkins Bars and shakes. Those things (the Atkins stuff) has alot more sugar alcohols in them and affects loss.. but it just slows it down. I am hoping that Jerseygirl will answer you.. but I think you both might want to eat more veggies than you had done before and don't forget the fat... like for me RANCH dressing oh yum and that might help... But please be careful and try finding the old 2002 and before book (I think Amazon has them).... to try and follow...

There are a bunch of us doing this way of eating, please just ask away...

HUGS to you both!!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi KerriLeah C: I was like you in some way, I had lost a lot of weight in the first few days of induction. I was REALLY loving this way of eating but my body didn't agree with me I guess. I'll need to read more on it and see if I can figure out a way to help these bad feelings during induction. I know some people told me to skip induction phase but I love losing fast in the beginning, it helps with motivation when you see the scale move down at first. I found a PDF file that someone had given me but I want a copy of the book so I think I might just read the PDF and order the book. Good luck if you decide to give it another try! Message me if you need to. I wouldn't mind having an Atkins buddy hehe!

Thank you so much, Sue! It was terrifying. But I was so depressed when I found out it was the diet. I was in denial for a while because I really wanted to stick to it. I could actually follow it, no problem, and I was losing easily. I'm going to give it another try though. I refuse to give up haha! If I have to keep almonds on the side of my bed when I'm feeling nauseous, I'll do it. I'm not crazy about the bars & shakes. Less processed foods the better for me C:
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieCormier View Post
I had tried this diet about a year or two ago and had really found it easy to follow. The only problem I got was on day 6 of Induction, I got up and walked to the kitchen. I felt really dizzy. I kept holding onto the counters to keep my balance and then I walk towards the fridge and pretty much fainted. My boyfriend at the time caught me before I fell and brought me to the couch. I wasn't out of it but was freaked out because it had never happened to me before. I checked my blood and it was very low. I had to get off the diet. When I went to my doctors, she told me to get off this diet and to try something else (like Weight Watchers). I stopped and just tried other diets but nothing's really worked for me. I really want to give this diet another try but don't want to go through that episode again. I gave away BOTH my books to people and they don't have it anymore. I have two questions for you guys. 1. What should I do for this low-sugar not to happen again? I heard having almonds next to my bed, would it sabotage to do that? 2. Do I need to get another copy of the book? I'll have to wait forever to get here. I could always start without it and still order though it right?

Thanks!
Sorry to hear of the scary experience you had.
I am a firm believer in reading the book BEFORE attempting Atkins. It is critical for knowing & understanding exactly how & why this plan, when done CORRECTLY works. Unless you've read the book, I don't believe you can do Atkins correctly. While there are many things online regarding Atkins, it isn't a substitute for the book. I recommend Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions because these are the books Dr. Atkins himself wrote.
Having no idea of what you were eating or how much, it is difficult to say what caused you to faint. It is important to follow Induction exactly the way it was written. This means, 20 net carbs per day, with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein plan, so getting plenty of fat is also important. Your body will burn the fat you are eating for fuel when you do Atkins correctly.
You can drink some chicken broth if you are experiencing "Atkins Flu" and I've been told this helps. You might want to consider that. I would also suggest eating small, frequent meals & snacks to keep blood sugar stable.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. I would be very happy to help
All the best to you!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 05-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #6  

I made sure and read the book first. I didn't know enough about the different phases otherwise. I studied induction the most, but I need to regroup and start again this weekend to get the diet going for myself again. Just a question about that "flu"... I've heard others doing similar low carb type diets, but pre-packaged taht they require more salt intake. They have shakers and little containers they carry around to ensure they get all their salt. I'm guessing this is because of imbalances in electrolytes in the body when going through phase 1 of these types of diets. Is this similar to why the broth might help? I'm not a salt lover and I avoid it like the plague because of high blood pressure in my family, but if it's needed to balance me out and feel better during induction, I certainly will, even in the form of broth!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriLeah View Post
I made sure and read the book first. I didn't know enough about the different phases otherwise. I studied induction the most, but I need to regroup and start again this weekend to get the diet going for myself again. Just a question about that "flu"... I've heard others doing similar low carb type diets, but pre-packaged taht they require more salt intake. They have shakers and little containers they carry around to ensure they get all their salt. I'm guessing this is because of imbalances in electrolytes in the body when going through phase 1 of these types of diets. Is this similar to why the broth might help? I'm not a salt lover and I avoid it like the plague because of high blood pressure in my family, but if it's needed to balance me out and feel better during induction, I certainly will, even in the form of broth!
Yes Kerri, you would be correct. The thinking behind the chicken broth for "Induction Flu" is due to sodium depletion which causes a host of side-effects from light-headedness to constipation. The "cure" for many suffering from "Induction Flu" is drinking 2 cups per day of chicken broth (NOT the low sodium variety).
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #8  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Sophie & Kerri - For what it's worth, I had that exact same almost-fainting experience on the Ideal Protein diet! On certain days, it seems like every time I'd stand up, I'd start blacking out and have to drop to the floor. I think it was the rapid diuretic effect that low-carb diets have, which causes my blood pressure to drop. Increasing my salt intake helped a lot. I'm back to Atkins now and haven't had that problem so far, but I'm pretty liberal with the salt!
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

GlacierGirl - How long did you do the IP diet? What did you think of it?
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #10  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

PrettyMom - I did the Ideal protein for about 7 weeks last fall and lost 21 pounds. It was a great program in some ways; lots of support and accountability, and very, very structured, so there was no room for fooling myself. It's mostly prepackaged products, and some of them I liked fairly well. The drawbacks were that I was hungry ALL the time. IP is low carb, low fat and low calorie, and portions are strictly controlled, so there's no having an extra hard-boiled egg or piece of chicken to get you through the hunger. Honestly, for me, the expense was the final reason I stopped. I figured it cost around $50 per pound lost, and I just don't have the budget to keep that up.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it; I think it's a sound and effective program, and for some people, following a program with no wiggle room is perfect - and most people don't have the constant hunger I had. There's a great IP forum on this website, with lots of terrific support and recipes. For me, it just didn't work into my life or my budget.

I want a long-term solution, a lifestyle change, new habits, and at this point in my life, Atkins (or some variation thereof) seems more realistic. And, bottom line, I think the rate of weight loss is pretty similar.

Oh, and OF COURSE I regained nearly all the weight I lost on IP - but that's my fault .
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #11  

I'm on day 1 today!!

I have my broth cubes in tow here with me lol. I haven't ever made broth just to sip on... do I use an ENTIRE cube (800mg sodium) per cup or should I whack it in two?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #12  
Gettin' my JIGGLE Gone!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I've read that salt really helps on low-carb diets for fatigue and lethargy.

And I know that the lethargic feeling only lasts for the first couple of weeks, as your body adjusts from relying on only carbs to fat for fuel. (And your brain loves sugar, too! So you'll likely be irritable and may have a few headaches...)

After your body adjusts, you'll feel more energetic and healthy. Given, you're not just eating cheese and meat... you need the veggies too
Renniekins is offline   Reply With Quote