Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default May Thread

I didn't know if I knew how to start the May Thread but it looks like I did it! LOL

Bonnie - Mad gave you some good tips for making your breakfast more diabetic friendly. Sometimes it's hard to understand what raises your BG. The corn you had is one of the more starchy veggies we are supposed to avoid. I still eat it once in a while because I like it. I don't think it's as bad as sugar, flour or rice. I never understood why corn is bad because it seems to have a high fiber content but I guess your body absorbs the starch.

I am getting better at eating smaller meals by only eating half of my dinner, but many times I end up in the kitchen finishing it off an hour or two later. I'm working on it, but it's hard to change 67 years of bad habits.

Two people I know have lost most of their eyesight due to diabetes and one has had her foot amputated, so I know I have to get this under control before I start to have such problems.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol Sue: my administrator's husband is a brittle diabetic, and its been awful to see his problems getting worse. She gently nags me at times, and is generally quite helpful with things. I figure even if I can't lose the weight, having my sugars stable is a huge thing. The metformin seems to be really helpful for me there, but I think I need an extended release form of it.
today's fbs is 6.1, I had raw carrots with my chicken last night. I love raw carrots. , but I guess they are too starchy.
Also got to a used book sale last night. Brought home boxes of books, and will take these to the cottage to enjoy all summer long. I am also really getting into re-reading series books, (I mostly read mysteries) from the start to finish, instead of haphazardly the way I read them originally. Its reading more for character development this way, and really fun. So I got some of the genre books, and can fill in blanks with my kobo if needed.
I have been struggling with the nighttime snack thing. I find it hard to have a small snack with a few carbs to eat, and think I am getting some glucose dumping, in spite of the metformin. I am gonna try a few peanuts, as they are a nice balance of fat, protein and carbs, have a nice satisfying crunch, and saltiness. How many you think would be good friends?
Its beautiful outside, I am going to start with gardening today, cleaning things up for planting.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue - Thanks starting the new thread. Good job.

Fatmad - Hope you are feeling better.

Bonnie, Ruthie and others -

Have a nice weekend.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #4  

Mad, I am on Metformin and still get glucose dumping. At least that's what I think it is. My glucose is usually higher in the morning than it is before bed. I am still confused as to whether to snack before bed or not. Some tell me that it will help with dumping but it doesn't seem to help with me. I would like to get into the habit of no snack at night and see what happens.

I read somewhere that any veggies that grow below the ground are too starchy for diabetics, like carrots and potatoes, and I guess that includes onions, too, but lately I've been putting onions in everything. Most of the time when I eat carrots or corn it is in mixed vegetables or soup so there's not a lot and it's mixed in with other veggies that are ok.

I read mostly mysteries, too. I get some books for my e-reader from the library website and I also buy used books at flea markets and used books sales. I haven't bought a book new for years. I also trade books with a friend who usually reads romances, but no I have her interested in the mysteries, too.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #5  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hey Guys ! Well went to the Dr and got my new machine the Accu View Nano is pretty sweet. Now I have to wait on the Lancets cause the walmart here didnt have them in stock. He tok me off the gabapentin cause I was having dry eyes and It was upsetting my stomach bad and I would want to sleep alot. So he changed me to Gralise he said I shouldnt have all the side affects and should work jest as good.
He checked my A1C and he said it was a 7 and he told me that if it goes any higher then he needs to add some more meds to what I already take either more metformin or add someting new to it. He said I should have a am reading below 120 but I can never get it down that low. The only way that will happen is if I eat nothing but veggies. I am gonna have to get on the stick I dont want to keep adding more meds for something I need to do to stop that.
I hope all is doingwell I must run we are cooking on the grill tonight.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #6  
Bonnie

Oh boy I used my new meter today and was pretty shocked It said my Fbs was 157 this morning. So I got out the old one and took it and it said my fbs was 142 still too high I have to get this thing down.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #7  

Trish - I tried to copy an article about fasting with type II but it was to long to copy so here's the link. It talks more about a 2 day fast, which I don't think I could do. I would prefer the daily IF.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/informa...-diabetes.html

Bonnie - You could help lower your FBG by walking, too, about 30 minutes a day, or broken up into two 15 minute sessions. I am trying to avoid going on additional meds, too, because some of them burn out your beta cells in your pancrease and makes your diabetes worse. It's better to try to keep it under control with diet and exercise.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #8  

Carol Sue - Thanks for the article. When I researched IF, I learned that the 8/16 works as good as doing a 2 day fast. I'm not sure I can do a 2 day fast, so that is why I chose to do the daily 8/16 IF. At one time, I did the 5/19, but it is too restrictive for long term. Come to think of it though, I think there are some days occasionally when maybe a 5/19 could work. I just know me well enough to know that a 2 day 24 hr fast just isn't going to work for me.

Bonnie - I'm working at getting my fbs back down as well. I am doing 1mile on my stationery bike 6 days a week and my goal is to eventually work up to 3. I recently read that a doctor who says you can reverse diabetes says that because glucose rises when we eat that if we would exercise about 7 - 10 minutes after a meal it would help to lower blood glucose. He says as long as a person doesn't suffer from angina they should have no problem exercising right after a meal. I try to do this when I can although, I'm not always able to. I learned that I can do 1 mile on the bike in less than 10 minutes. So my goal is to eventually get to where I can do 1 mile after 3 meals a day.

I am also learning to eat more balanced meals when I do eat. I still eat what I really want, just in moderation and healthier foods. I'm finding since I started doing this especially with Intuitive Eating that I seem to want to eat more of the healthier foods. Went to the store today to get quite a bit of fruits and veggies.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whew! I was giving myself heck for not starting a May thread and there it is. Thanks Carol Sue.

Been way too busy lately with gardening in our summer-like weather but I guess it's been good for me. I can now restore my ticker. (I'm also going to need to figure out how to change the weight on it. I never used a LilySlim one before.

Food has been good with an almond milk shake in the morning and healthy lunches and dinners. Been doing skewers and burgers on the BBQ and eating lots of salads. Since I am trying to do Low Carb, no bread has crossed my lips and FBGL is decent. I may even feel ready for bloodwork later in the month.

Hang in there chickies. We are doing the right thing.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #10  

Trish - Years ago, I did IF before I even heard of it. It was before I was diabetic, back when I was keeping my weight under control. I NEVER ate one morsel after dinner, ever. I ate a normal breakfast and lunch and usually had vegetables for dinner around 5 PM nothing else til breakfast. I think this is how people are meant to eat, but the American diet seems to have us eating all day. The same goes for exercising after a meal. I have always heard it recommended to take a walk after dinner, even for non diabetics. I was always rather sedentary in the evenings and I didn't feel that I needed much fuel just to sit on the couch. LOL And I used to sleep so much better when I went to bed on an empty stomach. My body would truly rest, instead of trying to digest food I had eaten in the evening.

I know all this to be true, but can't seem to get back to that lifestyle. But I will keep trying!

Ruth, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes, but I figured you were busy and if I was able to start the new thread I would help out!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #11  
Bonnie

Boy Lots to tell First I lost 3 pounds this week. Yes it feels good I am glad working on getting a lower sugar level.

Aunt went to the Dr today and she is having sugery on June 13th. It will be 5 hrs long and she will be hospitalized for two weeks and then light duties for 6 more weeks. They will be removing a part of her pancreas and the Dule Adema and the lymph noids . But things are going right now so will see when things get closer.

I have been doing good with the food still need to be stronger on my choices but I have so much going on I cant be perfect right now. Well I will catch you all later.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #12  

Bonnie Prayers and thoughts coming your way as you go through all the things you are facing right now. Stress makes us diabetics have to work harder to stay strong on our plans and it isn't easy. CONGRATULATIONS on the 3 lbs gone. Just hang in there and do your best.

Ruthie Glad to hear from you. I'm finding that busy helps me stay OP.

Carol Sue I realize that besides the stress I experienced when all the kids were living here that I also was experiencing lots of anger. I remember telling my doctor that I was so angry because I have fought this weight problem all these years and here I am still having to fight it and now with diabetes. I think I have finally come to the place that I am really facing things. When my second husband died, I figured that I would possibly live to be 80 just the way I ate and took care of myself back then. I was losing weight and I ate like IF with a CALP twist at that time. I actually got down to 167? lbs during that time and blood sugar was normal. My Daddy's aunt lived to be 91 and my Daddy will be 90 next month and he is still going strong. I realized one day that makes it possible for me to live to be in or near my 90s. Isn't it strange how those thoughts changes us. I suddenly realized if this is possible, what do I want my health to be in the next 10 or 20 yrs that I could live. Thus, I'm working at not losing weight so much as eating healthy to be healthy. I don't want to take the meds I take the rest of my life and if I learn to eat correctly, I won't have to. So that is my NEW goal. Our best years could be ahead of us. LOL
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #13  

Trish - It certainly does sound as though you have many years ahead and I can understand your wanting them to be healthy years. I have heard of 2 people who have been able to go off their diabetes meds due to exercise and weight loss. I would like to do that also, but I guess I don't want it bad enough to make the changes I need to make, or at least I haven't done so yet. At 67 I have outlived all of my immediate family. My father died at 60, my mother died at 64 and both of my brothers have since past away. I guess it's the heart surgery and meds that have given me the chance to live longer than they did, but I have no expectations of making it to 80 or 90. But I want to be healthy and mobile for whatever is left of my life.

Bonnie - You and your family are in my prayers. It sounds like your aunt will be going through a serious operation but you will get a little break while she is in the hospital and hopefully her insurance will cover a home nurse to come to the house to help her out after she comes home.

Hi to Mad and Ruthie! Everyone have a good day!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #14  
Bonnie

I have been checking my sugar level since I got my new machine and I can tell you It is still high. This morning my sugar was 141 I had someSliced Beef and Zuchnni and a salad my sugar was 133 before I took my meds and Had my snack last night before bed. For a snack I had 1/2 low fat cottage cheese with a tsp organic granola.

Any one tell me the food they have problems with and stuff that works for the not to raise their levels? I feel like I keep trying and I am not getting no where fast. I dont knnow what to do its like I am in a box and I cant find a way out! Hope I can find the opening soon.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
I have been checking my sugar level since I got my new machine and I can tell you It is still high. This morning my sugar was 141 I had someSliced Beef and Zuchnni and a salad my sugar was 133 before I took my meds and Had my snack last night before bed. For a snack I had 1/2 low fat cottage cheese with a tsp organic granola.

Any one tell me the food they have problems with and stuff that works for the not to raise their levels? I feel like I keep trying and I am not getting no where fast. I dont knnow what to do its like I am in a box and I cant find a way out! Hope I can find the opening soon.
I hope you can find your answers Bonnie. I'm having to rethink my whole idea of how to eat to lower my fbs. About the time I get it going down, I eat something and up it goes. I'm really looking into the paleo way of eating more lately which is more fruits and veggies than anything else. I'm just having to decide how far I want to go with it because I really think vegetarian would work great (had SIL once who was Type 1 diabetic and she had great control as a vegetarian). However, I have no desire to give up meat. Can't do strict lowcarb like Atkins although I have to admit it is my favorite way of eating because I don't want to give up fruit and some of the starchy foods that I really love. So I'm leaning toward maybe a 80% fruits and veggies and a 20% of the things left that I really love to eat.

Good luck.
Closed Thread