Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Question High calorie healthy foods? (Weird I know)

Okay weird question to see I know. I am on this medication to combat a increase increase in appetite side effect of another medication. So of course what it does is decrease it. And its powerful. I am gonna wait a little and see if a lessens a little bit when it gets into of my system (I've only been on this dosage a few days). If not I might have to either take it down a notch or if that isn't strong enough learn to deal.

So my question is. High calorie healthy foods? I need them. I can't eat all these low calorie foods in large portions to add calories like strawberries carrots-I tried yesterday and felt like a balloon and felt sick. But I want to be healthy. Yesterday at the end of the day I had half my calories left! I had to force myself to eat low calorie things cause that's all I have around the house and so I had to eat a lot of them. Help?

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-04-2013 at 09:25 AM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Nuts. Peanut butter. Cheese. Avocado. Quinoa. Oatmeal.

Last edited by newleaf123; 05-04-2013 at 09:31 AM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

This isn't a crazy question, actually. Lots of long-term calorie counters have this issue when transitioning to maintenance! Although, it DOES feel like a weird problem to have to deal with.

The suggestions from newleaf above are good. Although personally I would sub other nuts (walnuts, almonds, macadamias, pecans) for PB - I love peanut butter with my whole heart, but it has the least "healthy" nutrition profile of the nuts.

I have at least a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil every day, either mixed in a homemade vinaigrette for salad, or just drizzled over steamed veggies. It's delicious, good for you, and 120 cals. I also eat avocado every day, nuts, eggs, some ground flaxseed or chia seeds - these are all higher calorie, nutrient dense foods.

It takes some experimenting, so don't worry if it doesn't all click right away, especially since you're also dealing with meds and changing dosages. Just be patient with yourself and keep track of your food, so you can figure out what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

Last edited by JenMusic; 05-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
I am on this medication to combat a increase increase in appetite
I hope this doesn't offend, but... what's that drug??? I would seriously consider taking it. My appetite is always large, even when I'm sick. I will never relate to those people who say they have trouble reaching their caloric allotment for the day. But I'd like to know what it's like.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I hope this doesn't offend, but... what's that drug??? I would seriously consider taking it. My appetite is always large, even when I'm sick. I will never relate to those people who say they have trouble reaching their caloric allotment for the day. But I'd like to know what it's like.

F.
It's called topamax (Generic topiramate). It's an anticonvulsant. Meaning it's mainly for things like epilepsy or other seizure related conditions. But this is one the most common side effects at the higher doses. It is also used for migraines and bad headaches. It has a lot of other uncomfortable side effects but I've never had them personally.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-04-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
This isn't a crazy question, actually. Lots of long-term calorie counters have this issue when transitioning to maintenance! Although, it DOES feel like a weird problem to have to deal with.

The suggestions from newleaf above are good. Although personally I would sub other nuts (walnuts, almonds, macadamias, pecans) for PB - I love peanut butter with my whole heart, but it has the least "healthy" nutrition profile of the nuts.

I have at least a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil every day, either mixed in a homemade vinaigrette for salad, or just drizzled over steamed veggies. It's delicious, good for you, and 120 cals. I also eat avocado every day, nuts, eggs, some ground flaxseed or chia seeds - these are all higher calorie, nutrient dense foods.

It takes some experimenting, so don't worry if it doesn't all click right away, especially since you're also dealing with meds and changing dosages. Just be patient with yourself and keep track of your food, so you can figure out what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!
Thank you! We are not doing our grocery shopping-well not our REAL grocery shopping anyways-till tomorrow but I got some pecan nuts which are over 200 calories an ounce! IT'S PERFECT! I bought 2 things of the stuff! Thank you! I am also gonna start making my own green smoothies! I'm stealing Amandie's recipe <.< >.> xD I will buy some some more of what you have listed tomorrow!
Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Nuts. Peanut butter. Cheese. Avocado. Quinoa. Oatmeal.
Thank you! I've got Quinoa, cheese, oat meal, and now nuts! I'm on a roll!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #8  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 272/260/150

Height: 5'7 Age: 23

I've taken topamax before, but it made me SO TIRED.

But anyway, some things I've started buying lately are avocados, unsalted almonds and cashews, almond butter (pricey but soooo amazing) olives, chia seeds, walnuts and olive oil (soo yummins) I'd love to cook with Quinoa and make it extra spicy since it helps with my cravings for red meat. (which my doc says I should avoid, mostly because of the nitrates)

I hope that helped!

Last edited by Bunnydream; 05-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Bunnydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 10.5"

I was on Topamax as well to offset my depression medication. I have to second the feeling of being so tired. I think the amount of sleep that I had while taking it was the real appetite suppressant! lol

To the OP: I second JenMusic. A lot of the energy dense foods that were suggested are higher in heart healthy fats that can actually help with satiety. The extra calories spent on these foods benefit you in the long run, imo. Good luck!
sosurreptitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #10  

Quote:
Thank you! We are not doing our grocery shopping-well not our REAL grocery shopping anyways-till tomorrow but I got some pecan nuts which are over 200 calories an ounce! IT'S PERFECT! I bought 2 things of the stuff! Thank you! I am also gonna start making my own green smoothies! I'm stealing Amandie's recipe <.< >.> xD I will buy some some more of what you have listed tomorrow!
Put 1/2 of a large avocado in your smoothie, it makes it creamy and delicious and is excellent for fat/calories/health and i eat walnuts and almonds every day, i also second the EVOO (olive oil) as it is very very healthy, a Tablespoon a day drizzled over mixed greens and veggies. Even though veggies are very low cal, keep them up and just use full fat healthy salad dressings, EVOO and avocado and yes cheese!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #11  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

How about avacados? A large hass avacodo is about 250 delicious calories and nutrients.

If you're not worried about "eating clean," try meal replacement shakes like Boost or Ensure. Personally, I buy the generic Target ensure. 250 calories with enough protein, carbs, etc. to be filling.

Last edited by Psychic; 05-04-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone I am going to drop the dose back down to 75mg (only a 25mg drop so it's safe) because 100mg is too overpowering. I can't even feel hunger pangs! And yesterday my mom drove through McDonalds so I had a Parfait (You know those small ones) and I felt like a balloon after words. I asked my mom if I looked bloated she said no. Ugh I felt so full and that was all I had eaten (It was 11am)! But I'm still gonna take you all up on your advice till it wears off. Thank you everybody so much!

Plus I don't like having no struggle while dieting. It doesn't seem fair to me. I took diet pills before. This time I want to feel the struggle and be stronger than it. But this time it'll be fair because my medications weight gain/increase appetite side effect will be out of the picture.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #13  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Thieffff!!!! J/K Frozen fruit makes it more creamier than having to use ice, IMO. You could try a combo of strawberry and kiwi or blueberry and banana, etc. Mmm, pecan nuts- my favorite! Now I am wondering if I can/should try it in a smoothie- bananas, pecans (or your fave nut butter), and greek yogurt.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Thieffff!!!! J/K Frozen fruit makes it more creamier than having to use ice, IMO. You could try a combo of strawberry and kiwi or blueberry and banana, etc. Mmm, pecan nuts- my favorite! Now I am wondering if I can/should try it in a smoothie- bananas, pecans (or your fave nut butter), and greek yogurt.
xD Just froze some bananas last night (Couldn't find any prefrozen ones-I've decided from now on to freeze them myself anyways-healthier) Strawberry and kiwi YUM!!! And yes pecan are so goooooooood! And hey if you try it in a smoothie message me how it goes!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #15  

Actually changed my mind. My mom made a point. So I am staying at 100mg. Also I think it's started lessen up a bit and I think I will be able to have a closer to typical (Though maybe not completely typical) appetite in 1-2 weeks. I actually felt hungry a little today. But I still made a healthy choice of getting dinner at subway (My first subway sandwich )!

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.