Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #1  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Red face 30 days: squat, crunches, plank

I've been reading about the 30 day squat challenge, and when I went looking for the guidelines (and a video on the right way to do the squats), I found a chart with the squat, crunches, and plank all in one. So, what the heck--I'm starting all 3 today.

I haven't been exercising at all for the last 4 months (toe surgery) but I want to get started again on something I can do now.

I'd never done a plank before--but I found a couple of YouTube videos. 20 seconds (Day 1) wasn't bad--but I think it'll get much harder!

I've attached the chart below. Does anyone want to start with me?
Attached Images
File Type: png squat-crunhplan 30 day challenge.png (93.6 KB, 59 views)
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #2  
I can do this

I printed the chart but had trouble reading it, so I created a new one. If you want this in a Word format (.docx), just send me a PM with an email address and I'd be happy to send it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30 day Squat Crunch Plank challenge.pdf (460.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 10.5"

I'd definitely like to join! My husband has been trying to encourage me to do all three of these but I've been completely stubborn and refused! I think it's time lol
sosurreptitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #4  
I can do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstello87 View Post
I'd definitely like to join! My husband has been trying to encourage me to do all three of these but I've been completely stubborn and refused! I think it's time lol
I did mine already today--so start yours today and we can encourage each other!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #5  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I started with planks and square on May 1, so I'm in.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #6  

I have a bit of school work to do but I'll be doing it later this evening. I'll report back in after the fact
Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #7  

I just realized that I didn't post last night.

I'm not a physically active person in the very least so I'll admit, the squats KILLED me lol. I had to break it up into two 25 parts but the rest was less than a minute. I don't think my body knew what to do with that motion! lol
Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #8  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

I'm in! I started the squat challenge a week ago, and have been needing to work on my arms and belly too. Thanks for posting this! Now I just need to look up how to properly do crunches and planks.

Last edited by tehshort1; 05-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #9  
I can do this

Hi tehshort1--there's a link in the pdf to a video on how to do a plank. The first 20 seconds were pretty easy--the last 5 not so much so!

I woke up this morning feeling the squats in my thighs--I definitely felt them, which made today's 55 harder than yesterday's 50, since yesterday they didn't start out well used.

20 crunches isn't that many--I think the crunch challenge might be the easiest of the 3 parts. Years ago, in my pre-kids world, I did a 30 minute abs-only class every week, on top of all the pieces thrown into the other aerobics classes I was taking. I did bicycle crunches today since they're supposed to be one of the most effective moves.

So, day 2 is done for me--this isn't doing anything for my arms yet, but I can add that in eventually, reminding myself that perfection is the enemy of success!

Hope everyone is having a squatty crunchy planky day!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #10  

I've seen a lot of women do this challenge lately only to complain that their thighs got HUGE! For me, I'm doing it differently. Instead of doing the reps as listed, I'm doing ten squats (just ten though my body is telling me I should have started at five) once EVERY hour that I'm awake. From 4am to 9pm. I work as a security officer in a hospital so in addition to the squats I'm taking the stairs and having random bouts of sprinting to respond to calls when there is a disturbance. Needless to say, my legs could murder me right about now. I figured that on my days off I'll rest my legs but work my arms instead.
JadedPhoenixBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedPhoenixBurning View Post
I've seen a lot of women do this challenge lately only to complain that their thighs got HUGE! For me, I'm doing it differently. Instead of doing the reps as listed, I'm doing ten squats (just ten though my body is telling me I should have started at five) once EVERY hour that I'm awake. From 4am to 9pm. I work as a security officer in a hospital so in addition to the squats I'm taking the stairs and having random bouts of sprinting to respond to calls when there is a disturbance. Needless to say, my legs could murder me right about now. I figured that on my days off I'll rest my legs but work my arms instead.

That definitely sounds like a plan! It's all about doing something different and moving!

I'm personally not too worried about huge thighs as mine are already huge

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #12  
I can do this

Okay, ladies, I've decided to do the 30 day Dumbbell challenge as well. I'll be a day off, since I did Day 1 of it today, but between the 4, it's really a full body workout.

I told DH I wanted to move the weight bench up to my office. (the site says it can be done with an exercise ball and chair, but we happen to own a weight bench, which hasn't been used in years). He suggested I add steps to my exercises and work out in the basement exercise equipment storage room. However, my computer, with the moves, the animated GIFS, and the MUSIC is in my office.

So, the weight bench (all cleaned off) is in my office. So are the 2, 3, and 5 lb weights. The 2s are too light--I did them for the first set and then used the 3s for the second set.

So, if you want to do this one too so that we all become buff, it's at

http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/c...ell-challenge/

I need to look around the site to find day 2!

Happy body work!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #13  

Hmm, that would be a nice addition. All I have are 8 lb dumbbells, hopefully that will do! If not, I'm sure to find a substitute somewhere in our basement (that's where hubby keeps all of weights and whatnot).
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #14  
I can do this

My thighs are sore again today. I'm going to do 1/2 plie squats and half the just butt out ones I've been doing. The plies are supposed to work the inner thighs more. I didn't get up earlier enough to do these before work, so it'll be after work/before dinner today!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #15  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedPhoenixBurning View Post
I'm a distance runner. I'll never have small legs. I re-took my measurements for the first time in a few months, and that inch I lost off my stomach just made its way down to my calves.

So far my legs and abs are pretty okay with this. I'm also doing some arm stuff, and that is killer for me.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote