Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #1  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Awesome! Congrats, Colorado folks!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #2  

Default Americans exercising more, especially in Colorado

My home state of Colorado I am really proud of. We hit number one in the nation for the lowest obesity rate--and today I found out that Coloradoans are the number one exercisers in the nation also. Which would explain why we have the lowest obesity rate.

Now this may seem odd--because we have winters here--and most people would think that warmer climates would encourage more exercise. Apparently that is not the case.

I think a lot of our exercise habits comes from a state that encourages exercise at all age levels. My 6 year old grandson is now running a mile--and loves it--and just did his first mini track meet. My whole family exercises--including my 82 year old mother who goes to Curves 4 times a week. I am a Jazzerciser--my nieces are into yoga--my husband can run on a treadmill for hours and enters the sponsored long distance events--and my nephews are into mountain bike riding and they too enter sponsored events. There is not one member in my family that doesn't exercise.

I don't what it is--maybe the mountains and the high altitude? But at times it's hard to find someone in Colorado who doesn't exercise. Of course we have them--but it's not long until they're encouraged to start exercising by someone they work with--or new found friends.

Now if we could get this trend going all over the nation--obesity and type 2 diabetes would be a thing of the past.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-04-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #3  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Awesome! Congrats, Colorado folks!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #4  

I think a lot of non exercisers get caught up into trying to plan one type of exercise that suits the whole family. IOW--I have seen women who think they need to fall into the same exercise routine as their husbands. That only works for a few people. Plan exercise around what you personally like to do--and not what someone else likes to do. And remember--lead by example. If you start a program and stay with it--it won't be long until your spouse and children are encouraged by your success--and pick up their own exercise routines. Don't wait-just do it. Eat less--move more.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote