Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #1  

Default Wow, you lost a TON!

"Wow, you lost a TON!"

Said the neighbor up the street that I never talked to before...

I thought I would die from embarrassment. Thank God the dog and the husband were with me! My husband knows this guy from "man talk" with the guys in the neighborhood but I didn't!

My husband reached and squeezed my hand after that comment came with some small talk we were having with him on our walk.

During the walk home, my husband said this guy is very direct in all his conversations and not to be offended. So after he said that, I smiled and agreed. I *have* lost a ton!

I hope it might have something to do with the fact that I had on nice clothes too and not my standard workout gear!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

My sister said that to me after I had lost about 25 pounds. I found it very embarrassing, especially since when I demurred, she kept insisting. But whatever... What she must think now!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

lol. I get a lot of those kind of comments, but usually more tactful! Normally the word "ton" doesn't get thrown out! I'm guessing it was that word that made you feel embarrassed, right? I wouldn't imagine you'd be embarrassed if he had chosen his words more carefully, would you?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #4  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Oh that was sweet of your hubby and how cool (unless there were alot of other people around) of a non-friend man to say that outloud. I kinda take it as a compliment. He coulda wolf whistled you when you were alone LOL. (I know that you are a private person but I hope the inside person is beaming!!) and I love that your husband held your hand
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #5  

I haven't seen my sister, newleaf, since I lost about 40lbs. She might include a couple of colorful words when she sees me now LOL!

And Joe, yes, the filter of not saying "ton" would have been nice!! I told my husband that the neighbor's wife must have been thin her whole life as no husband would ever say "ton" to a woman!! (I missed you posting these last few weeks, I saw you on the jeans thread and commented to you. Glad to see you back!!)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh View Post
Oh that was sweet of your hubby and how cool (unless there were alot of other people around) of a non-friend man to say that outloud. I kinda take it as a compliment. He coulda wolf whistled you when you were alone LOL. (I know that you are a private person but I hope the inside person is beaming!!) and I love that your husband held your hand
Very true, Sue! I think I was more shocked that he noticed and called me out on it!! I do walk our street day and night so maybe he waited for me to be with my husband or....maybe he didn't realize I was the same woman!!

My husband is the best, we have our secret signals to each other after all this time (squeezing each other's hand 3x means "I love you", yep we are goofy!) and he can read me like no one else. He must have seen the panicky embarrassment run over my face!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I always just assume someone is complimenting me, however clumsily . Your husband made a good call!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Oh.... I love to hear of a love/best friend/partner life like you have. You make me happy(for you) and hopefull just reading that. (and JoeFla is right... Ton is not a good word.. but your neighbor just must have realized who you were and that word jumped outta his mouth and we know how "some" men are )
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I always just assume someone is complimenting me, however clumsily . Your husband made a good call!
Exactly Arctic Mama!! I could tell this guy was so happy for me and it was definitely a compliment. I just hated that he knew I was big before but I know I was and there is nothing I can do about it! And I know my husband is proud of me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh View Post
Oh.... I love to hear of a love/best friend/partner life like you have. You make me happy(for you) and hopefull just reading that. (and JoeFla is right... Ton is not a good word.. but your neighbor just must have realized who you were and that word jumped outta his mouth and we know how "some" men are )
Awww, Sue, my husband really is the best. We have been through so much (not me and him having issues, just things in our life on both sides of the family) and I thank my lucky stars for him every day. And you are right, it was just a man thing to say! He was genuinely happy for me, I could tell that much!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

I'm glad your hubby helped you to see the man may not have meant to be so obnoxious. I would have been embarrassed too probably. I guess some people are just trying to be kind and aren't sensitive to others experiences. I am starting to understand that a little better.
My dad saw me for the first time since losing some weight the other day and he said, "I've never seen you so thin." I thought...hmm, that's strange since you've known me since I weighed 8lbs and I can hardly be classified at thin at well over 200 lbs. BUT, I'm learning to accept my father's comments. He was trying to be complementary and I'll take what I can get since he's been extremely critical in the past. My fiance helped me see the lighter side of that situation. Some men are true blessings, I'm so glad your hubby was beautifully supportive!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are a motivator!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecomtes View Post
I'm glad your hubby helped you to see the man may not have meant to be so obnoxious. I would have been embarrassed too probably. I guess some people are just trying to be kind and aren't sensitive to others experiences. I am starting to understand that a little better.
My dad saw me for the first time since losing some weight the other day and he said, "I've never seen you so thin." I thought...hmm, that's strange since you've known me since I weighed 8lbs and I can hardly be classified at thin at well over 200 lbs. BUT, I'm learning to accept my father's comments. He was trying to be complementary and I'll take what I can get since he's been extremely critical in the past. My fiance helped me see the lighter side of that situation. Some men are true blessings, I'm so glad your hubby was beautifully supportive!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are a motivator!
Awww, you are too sweet Lecomtes!! But you are so right, we have to see the blessings in the compliments. I think I was more shocked that he was so boisterous in his comments but with a big smile and totally complimentary!! I was taken aback I think. And I haven't perfected the "thank you" part of the compliments yet that I should be doing, I always make excuses or reasons for my weightloss. This time I was so shocked I kept silent! I'm glad your fiancé seems like my husband, totally down to earth and doesn't read into things. I wish I was more like that, my husband never sees the negative possibility things like I do. And I have a feeling my neighbor must be the same way, he probably didn't realize the "ton" comment could be taken any other way than "a lot". At least that's what I'm going with at this point!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

My fave is when they shout it across the room with several others in there.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #13  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I haven't seen my sister, newleaf, since I lost about 40lbs. She might include a couple of colorful words when she sees me now LOL!

And Joe, yes, the filter of not saying "ton" would have been nice!! I told my husband that the neighbor's wife must have been thin her whole life as no husband would ever say "ton" to a woman!! (I missed you posting these last few weeks, I saw you on the jeans thread and commented to you. Glad to see you back!!)
Thanks Elvis. I always enjoy reading your posts too.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedollylala View Post
OMG thedollylala, there isn't enough hand-holding my husband could do in that situation. I'd crawl under a rock and hide...I don't like attention anyways but that would stress me to the max!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedollylala View Post
haha this! ^

My friend works at Boeing Everett WA plant and they're notorious for lay offs. After an extended lay off, they called people back. My friend (she's statuesque and beautiful and was probably about 30 lbs overweight) was in a PACKED elevator and when it dinged open, standing right in front of her on the opposite side of the door (along with a lot of other people) was an older asian gentleman she used to work with.
He took one look at her and in his asian accent said "Mrs. Benson! You have gotten FAT!"
talk about wanting to d i e !!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote