Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default Positive Affirmations- Gathering Ideas

I feel like I'm struggling right now. Does anyone else feel that way too?
However, I know that I am succeeding. The proof is in the pictures:

But my mind is betraying me.
"You're not succeeding with weight loss."
"You're probably gaining. Start dieting."
"You could be doing better."

ETA: You know what else lies? The scale lies...LIAR. I hit 209 about a month ago...today? 210? But obviously still moving forward, but the scale whispers lies to my mind. Gr. -_-

These thoughts absolutely need to be pushed out my positive ones. I'm thinking of starting a diet of daily positive affirmations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg

Have you ever done positive affirmations?
Do you have any ideas/suggestions on what might be beneficial to remind myself/yourself every morning?

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 05-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

I use something that I got from Joel Osteen: I AM statements. Mine are:

I AM healthy
I AM fit
I AM thin

I feel that putting out positive thoughts will send us positive thoughts in return. Great idea for a thread!!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #3  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

I do affirmations/mantras of a sort - My biggest problem is getting going, so I constantly repeat At day's first light have in readiness, against disinclination to leave your bed, the thought that 'I am rising for the work of man, from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Meditations is kind of my go-to guide for keeping my head on straight - I feel like I use it in a similar way to how religious Christian folks use the Bible. I have a 'home' copy and a 'purse' copy so I can whip it out whenever I need it!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #4  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I don't really have a mantra, but when I'm feeling down or less than successful (at any endeavor) I remind myself of how much I've improved over the last 365 days. Then I tell myself if I was able to overcome _______ then I can overcome _______!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggerbean View Post
I use something that I got from Joel Osteen: I AM statements. Mine are:

I AM healthy
I AM fit
I AM thin

I feel that putting out positive thoughts will send us positive thoughts in return. Great idea for a thread!!
I'm so copying you with those statements, starting today!

I have Joel Osteen's mother's book "Healed of Cancer" and in the book, she says that she and her family practiced saying "I am healed" and "She is healed". I swear me saying that to myself 10x a day or more totally contributed to my medicine healing me enough to try and get pregnant. Dodie Osteen's cured cancer was nothing short of a miracle. Just like my weightloss.

Great thread as always, Lunar.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Wow, what a difference! Do you see the difference in how much less space you take up from the first picture to the third? Pics were shot in front of the same door, right?
Amazing!!! I can tell that you are exercising in conjunction to the dieting, your body is reshaping
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Oh my gosh! My positive affirmation should be looking at your pictures! AMZING!? Will I really look that good when I get to 209? Wowza, you go girl!

Okay, this isn't a positive affirmation, but when I start doubting myself, sometimes I will literally discuss it...with myself..out loud. I find that in the car is a good place. I will say, "Olivia, why don't you feel like you have lost weight? Why do you feel you are fat." And then I will explain to myself, "Well, I feel fat because I have only lost 20 pounds and not 30." Suddenly, saying it out loud makes me HEAR how rediculous I'm being. This usually ends up in me crying out of relief! Haha.

So if you see some crazy lady driving around talking herself, yeh, that might be mean. But I'm telling you, it works.
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #8  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

The proof is definitely in the pictures! I hope the affirmations work and help you to see your transformation more clearly. The change really is significant!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #9  
Living Intuitively

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattymcfatty View Post
Wow, what a difference! Do you see the difference in how much less space you take up from the first picture to the third? Pics were shot in front of the same door, right?
Amazing!!! I can tell that you are exercising in conjunction to the dieting, your body is reshaping
Indeed, same door, same position, same distance from the camera. That's one of the huge reasons I love exercising...I adore seeing my body change.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #10  
Living Intuitively

slugger, I love how simple and wonderful those affirmations are. I tried them in the car on the way to work and I really enjoyed them. I think I will add:
I AM happy.

And maybe...
I AM loved.

merilung, I think I will have to check out Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. I hope their is a kindle version!

Missy, you are right on about looking back to May 2012. What was even going on then?

Elvis, I have read a similar thing in my "Self-Compassion Diet" book.
She also goes on to say, "Not only does cultivating an attitude of loving kdiness stimulate the parts of the brain associated with empathy and maternal love (the insula and the temporal parietal junction) in men and women, it promises to dampen activity in the brain areas associated with depression and anxiety."

She uses: May I be safe, may I be happy, may I be healthy, May I live with ease, May you be safe....ect.... May we be safe, may we be happy.....

100Mother, You definitely could. Have you spent some time on the body gallery? Right now I'm at 209. I'm a pear and in a size 16 pants. 5'6".

beloved, thanks for your support!

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 05-03-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #11  
Living Intuitively

Oh- and more about the scale. It says I've only lost 10 pounds since March and May (2nd and 3rd pictures), but that looks a lot different then any other 10 pounds I have lost, that's for sure!