Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #1  

Unhappy BiPolar Disorder/Depression/Anxiety, scared to start?

Okay, I'm thinking of posting in two different forums: this one and "weight loss support" so I can get the most feedback. I guess I'll start with just some basics about myself: I am 19, and with that, a teenage mother. I have a 3 year old who is the light of my life and I had him at 15 years old (with a significantly older man). I was diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder (which includes what can be weeks of 'low points' like depression followed by just a few days of a 'manic point' which can be anger, or hyperactivity/happiness).

My whole 'weight gain' started with becoming pregnant so early in life. I was never bone-thin, I was always average with a tiny pooch for a stomach but nothing really noticeable. But when I got pregnant - that all changed. I gained almost 100 lbs! Going from 130 all the way up to 215 at the very end of my pregnancy. I lost a good 35 lbs of it by doing absolutely nothing and went back down to 180. But remained at that weight for a good 18 months.

Then, I became addicted to painkillers - something I have overcome. I have been clean for a year, four months, and 9 days (yes I keep count, haha). In the time I was addicted, I rarely ate and I dropped down to 140 (I still had the flabby stomach, though. Does that ever go away?) I maintained that weight until the fall of 2012 (this past fall), when I was put on Depacoat (a bipolar medication) and gained back 45 lbs.

Now I don't even know where to start! I have no idea how to diet, and I am so out of shape I could not even keep up with a 10 minute BEGINNERS cardio DVD without being out of breath. Someone, please help me! Where do I start, how do I diet, and again will this flabby stomach ever go away?
Magpiexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Read other threads here, heck read them all!

Baby steps! We did not get overweight or unhealthy overnight.

Start with one food thing! A reasonable breakfast! Tackle that! Then tackle healthy mid morning snack, rinse and repeat! Remember to allow that some days life happens!

Exercise, start with one thing!

When I decided, I wanted to strength train, (aka lift), I found a program, it wanted me to do squats! With an Olympic barbell, that thing weighs 45 pounds, no way!

I started with 2, 5 pound dumbbells!

I am proud to say, 2 YEARS later, I can squat 105 pounds with the O barbell!

Yes, it did take 2 years, but I learned a lot about sticking with it, and patience.

Now, I'm working on training for a 5k! I'm a gramma! I will do this! Probably take another 2 years! That's ok!

Also along this journey, I lost the weight I wanted to lose and have been, so far, successful, at maintaining the loss.

It has not always been easy, some days, it's down right hard, but, along the way, I have learned! A lot about nutrition, exercise, family, other people, but most of all myself!

Have patience! You don't have to be great to start, just start! The rest will fall into place!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/238.1/130

Height: 5'1

I don't know if you have access to health insurance, but if you do, find a therapist ASAP. They can help with all of those things way better than any forum can. I am also BIPOLAR and I have medication, a psychiatrist and a therapist. That is the only way I can make it through this.

Try Overeater's Anonymous (OA). They have online meetings, phone meetings and in-person meetings. You can also try Food Addicts.

I don't know if you have a texting plan or if you have a cell phone, but you can text me any time if you want: six five zero two eight three six three eight four.

It sounds like you have a lot going on. You've come to one right place and you've made a step in the right direction. I'm not going to lie - this isn't going to be easy. I am addicted to food. I treat it like an addiction and I work on it as much as possible. I also journal. I have a sponsor. I go to 4-5 OA meetings a week. I check this website several times a day. I have a good support system in my life that includes a therapist, a psychiatrist (since I am BIPOLAR), my husband, my family and friends.

I believe in you. Welcome.
ladykahlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #4  
No More Diets!

Sometimes, just eating healthier works. Maybe eat a bit like you are now, but add in more fruit and vegetables. Increase the healthiness slowly over time, so it sticks? Good luck!
lovely30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 14stone/9.5stone

Height: 5ft4inchs

I to have Bipolar & have put on 5stone since starting Lithium. Now at 14st I have been put on Xenical. I am training for a 5k run, and also 10k later this year. Despite generally balanced diet and exercise I hadn't lost more than 1 stone in previous attempts.

I can't consider changing Lithuim so now I'm hoping that new addition of Xenical and fear of eating to much fat causing me to poo my pants, with the exercise I may shift this Lard!

Good Luck
Rachel32 is offline   Reply With Quote