Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #1  
Gettin' my JIGGLE Gone!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default ... I can't do this!!! :( :( :(

I've lost count how many times I have attempted a diet, and FAILED miserably.

Why can't I just DO it? I know what I need to do, but I'm dreadfully addicted to sweets, and can't control how much I eat. It's like, I need to feel my whole stomach full to the brim before I stop.

I so badly don't want to be this size anymore, but I just keep failing!

End of rant.

Starting my diet again, now.
Renniekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

I used to be like that. It turned out to be my antipsychotic causing it. My stomach was a bottomless pit. And it triggered cravings. No matter how hard I tried I could NOT diet. It wasn't possible for me. I would cry a lot about it. My doctor/psychiatrist comfirmed it was the medication. Plus I didn't start gaining weight and over eating till the day I started it. So my doctor put me on topamax. Are you on any medications at all? Have you had your thyroid looked at? No matter what don't give up!

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-01-2013 at 05:02 PM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

I can totally understand.

For me, it's been changing my THINKING about food. When I stopped looking at it as a diet and me depriving myself of the things "I really want", and started looking at it as food being the resource to nourish my body, things changed.

I've been eating healthy for 8 weeks now. This week has been really hard (the cravings have been so ridiculously strong), but I know that if I keep on plan, the weight WILL come off.

It gets easier the longer you stick with it.

You can do it!!!
Mama2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #4  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Four View Post

For me, it's been changing my THINKING about food. When I stopped looking at it as a diet and me depriving myself of the things "I really want", and started looking at it as food being the resource to nourish my body, things changed.

I've been eating healthy for 8 weeks now. This week has been really hard (the cravings have been so ridiculously strong), but I know that if I keep on plan, the weight WILL come off.

You can do it!!!
+1

I really don't know what else to say, mama2four hit the nail on the head for me.

Actually, I just figured out what to add. Keep coming back here! Seriously, I have found so many tips, hints, support, and advice that I'm not sure I would have found in my day to day life. It's what's kept me strong this far.

You can do this! You just need to find what works for you.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Four View Post

You can do it!!!
If I was incorrect in the type of hunger you feel then I agree with this exactly! My post was about different type of hunger. One that for many people can not be helped. Antipsychotics are horrible hunger monsters and some thyroid problems can cause the same effect.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-01-2013 at 05:29 PM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

You have to be in the right place mentally before you can be successful. I don't know how many pounds you want to lose or how overweight you are (if at all), and I don't know your story, so it's hard for me to offer you anything solid. I will tell you that the beginning is often the hardest, and that it DOES get easier with time. Good luck!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I really think it is a mental thing. I really believe you just have to reach a "snapping" point, I guess. Mine was December/January. In December, I had a health scare that sent me to the E.R. My best friend died last September from heart disease out of the blue.

My sister almost died last summer from starving herself.

All of these things culminated at the end of last year and after a couple of months of real self reflection, something "clicked" and I schtuff got serious!

I was so tired of being tired, being sick, and just looking horrible.

Why am I telling you all of this? Maybe because I don't "want" you to have to face any of the rough things I did. Maybe I want my experiences to help you reach your turning point, help you reach that emotional "get 'er done" attitude you need.

Make small changes first, if you have to. Drop the "d-word", (diet) and start thinking "Eat to live, and not live to eat."

You CAN do this. You WILL do this. It will be on your own time. No one can do it for you. I can tell you that you posting here is the first step to success. These amazing people have been my rock, my sounding board, and have cheered my successes and pushed me through rough patches. This is the best community to have on your side.

I have come along way in just a few short months. You can, too!! Read my blog, see what changes I made. Implement some of them to get started.

Weight loss is an emotional journey. It's hard to get started. Sometimes, hard to keep going. You will smile, you will cry. The one thing you can't do is give up.

So you know what? Grab your refillable water bottle (get one if you don't have one) and get started. Lace up your shoes and go for a walk. I know people say you can't out exercise bad eating, BUT exercise keeps me from wanting to over eat.

Set goals for yourself. Make them small, attainable goals.

As far as your addiction to sweets? I was there. My addiction was Mountain Dew...I actually kicked that addiction and have never looked back!!
Kickin' My Addiction is where I share my Mountain Dew experience.

You will feel so much better when you kick the sugar habit. Really...you will.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

You CAN do it, absolutely, look at all the successes here on the boards!
Just like everyone else said before me, you have to get your mind right.
Yes you want the sweets, you crave them, you think you need them, but you have to get to a point where not being fat is more important than having a cookie/slice of cake.

Your brain may be telling you "I'm hungry, I really need those sweets" but stop and ask your stomach first, chances are you're not physically hungry, you're head hungry.

Focus on the long term rather than the short term instant gratification, is it more important for you to be active and at a healthy weight or for you to satisfy a desire for sweets?

Once your brain gets there, your body will follow, it's really about priorities, make your health/weight the priority not food
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

When it comes to sweets I can't control how much I eat either. So I don't. At all. Well, anything with actual sugar that is. Sugar does something to me chemically that makes me crazy. My life would be misery if I tried to use my head to control this because the cravings, once activated, are consuming.

It can be a tough couple of detox days, but once I am off sugar it is so much easier to stay off. For sweets fixes I eat sugar free stuff like protein bars or sugar free ice cream - things that don't trigger the beast. Moderation works for some people. I am not one of them.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #10  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
When it comes to sweets I can't control how much I eat either. So I don't. At all. Well, anything with actual sugar that is. Sugar does something to me chemically that makes me crazy. My life would be misery if I tried to use my head to control this because the cravings, once activated, are consuming.

It can be a tough couple of detox days, but once I am off sugar it is so much easier to stay off. For sweets fixes I eat sugar free stuff like protein bars or sugar free ice cream - things that don't trigger the beast. Moderation works for some people. I am not one of them.
Ditto this.

Before I started on a "official diet plan" I just stopped drinking sugar. No more sugar in my tea and coffee, no juice, no pop. I didn't lose weight but the cravings really calmed down. I was amazed.

I still miss sugar in my coffee and tea but I'm not haunted by the kids sweets and treats like I was.

Good luck!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #11  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

In the beginning, I just focused on the one day at a time thing because I am also extremely addicted to sweets (and starch carbs). I also counted calories. Instead of thinking of all the months of counting, I just focused on the one day. I even planned out exactly what I was going to eat. It was soooo hard the first day, but I did it and when I woke up, I felt so proud of myself for getting started. I feel like getting started sometimes seems impossible, but it's not. You just have to make that decision and commit to sticking with it. Then, you rinse and repeat every day for the rest of your life.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

(Oops! Sorry if this posts more than once!)

I know exactly how you feel. I was really lax this past winter about eating right and exercising. But now it's time to kick those negative "I can't!" voices out!
Mimasaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #13  
Gettin' my JIGGLE Gone!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the responses!!

It's awesome that I'm not the only one who has this issue! Just so that I'm not alone, lol.

I agree, it is a mental thing. I just don't know what it is that keeps my mind on eating the WORST kinds of food! I know it's better to eat veggies and fruit over chocolate bars and cookies...

After having 2 kids, and then just feeling as if I can eat whatever I want, however much I want, it's the hardest thing to have to change that way of thinking.

I just want to WANT to pick a salad over a slice of pizza! What a mental battle it is!
Renniekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I agree with the above posters about sweets/sugar.

I had the same problem. Sugar is like a drug. I suggest you cut out sweets and opt for protein snacks. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, that is, you don't have to cut out sweets and replace them with broccoli and boiled chicken. For example, today I was tempted to just buy some cake or cookies for dinner, I knew where this would lead, so instead I got some nice cheese and whole wheat crackers, and ate that with hummus and avocado, and a coffee. I felt like I was indulging, but without the drawbacks of sugar. If I had gotten the cookies I would probably consume 1000 cals in cookies and would crave for more. It is a cycle with sugar. So the best is to stay away from it as much as possible. The more you stay away the less you will crave it, very empowering!
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renniekins View Post
I just want to WANT to pick a salad over a slice of pizza! What a mental battle it is!
Or you can make your own versions of foods that you like to eat. I eat pizza all the time. It may be on a pita, tortilla, or cauliflower crust, but it's do-able!

If I want pizza, I'm making pizza. I eat salad every once in a while, and usually when it's hot out. Often my pizza is lower in calories than my salad is!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote