Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Default I know I post a lot but...I had my first bad day yesterday on my diet

I feel so guilty! I ate 2150 calories yesterday! Which is what a normal person eats but still! I feel horrible! My mom says it's from starving myself those 3 days-made my body really hungry. And true after that I had been fighting the urge to binge for days. It was bound to happen. I just need some comfort today. This is the first time since starting my diet that I've done this! I just don't know how to handle it. A year ago when I was anorexic I would spend like THREE hours speed walking to pay for it. But it's too late for that plus that's just another type of anorexia. Another way to obsess.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #2  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Don't worry so much. It happens to everyone. There are studies that show that a day of high calories between a lot of low calorie days can actually help you lose weight faster. Try not to feel guilty. One day will not ruin any of your hard work.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #3  

**Waves hand** I'm the one who posts too much so you have nothing on me!!

Seriously, post all you want. That's what we are here for. I know some people have no use for my posts and that's ok. I'm needier than most others!

So...your calories for yesterday....it happens to all of us. What made up those calories, was it good healthy food and you just ate a lot? Or was it high calorie/high fat foods that still left you hungry?

This is a huge learning experience to get ourselves on track, eating the right things and mentally and physically feeling full while nourishing our bodies.

I hope today is a better day for you. But we are here for you regardless.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #4  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

Don't worry about posting too much. We all need support; glad you feel you can turn here for support!
I've had to learn to quit dwelling on how yesterday, or even how last week went and just focus on today. I'm glad you are willing to share your struggles, and I look forward to celebrating in your victories. You can beat this!!
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #5  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't worry! One day isn't going to ruin anything - like Psychic said, it can actually be helpful (for physiological reasons as well as psychological: it may have an effect on "resetting" levels of hormones like leptin.)
Look at it this way. As long as you're not gaining fat, you're doing well on your diet. In order to not gain fat, you have to eat at or below maintenance. I'm don't know your exact maintenance calorie estimate (because I don't know your physical activity level), but I'd guess around 2100-2600 based on your height and current weight. 2150 calories in a day? No problem! Especially since you weren't eating much earlier in the week. Your calories don't just reset at midnight every day, after all. You don't need to eat a certain number of calories every day, just try to make that number your daily average over the week/2 weeks/month/etc. Your mom might be right about this being your body's compensation for eating so little before.
Oh, and one more bit of advice - don't try to burn off the excess through exercising way more than normal. It's like punishing yourself, which is not a good strategy for weight loss. Be kind to yourself and know that it's okay to fall sometimes! Besides, exercise should be fun and enjoyable, not a form of punishment for eating too much.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
Don't worry so much. It happens to everyone. There are studies that show that a day of high calories between a lot of low calorie days can actually help you lose weight faster. Try not to feel guilty. One day will not ruin any of your hard work.
Thank you very much! Makes me feel better.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
**Waves hand** I'm the one who posts too much so you have nothing on me!!

Seriously, post all you want. That's what we are here for. I know some people have no use for my posts and that's ok. I'm needier than most others!

So...your calories for yesterday....it happens to all of us. What made up those calories, was it good healthy food and you just ate a lot? Or was it high calorie/high fat foods that still left you hungry?

This is a huge learning experience to get ourselves on track, eating the right things and mentally and physically feeling full while nourishing our bodies.

I hope today is a better day for you. But we are here for you regardless.
Thank you and and it was a mix of both. And thank you so much! I think today will be much better! But it's good to know people are there just in case.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccull83 View Post
Don't worry about posting too much. We all need support; glad you feel you can turn here for support!
I've had to learn to quit dwelling on how yesterday, or even how last week went and just focus on today. I'm glad you are willing to share your struggles, and I look forward to celebrating in your victories. You can beat this!!
Thank you so much! And I know I will have plenty of victories for future celebrations cause I'm not giving up!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronostasis View Post
Don't worry! One day isn't going to ruin anything - like Psychic said, it can actually be helpful (for physiological reasons as well as psychological: it may have an effect on "resetting" levels of hormones like leptin.)
Look at it this way. As long as you're not gaining fat, you're doing well on your diet. In order to not gain fat, you have to eat at or below maintenance. I'm don't know your exact maintenance calorie estimate (because I don't know your physical activity level), but I'd guess around 2100-2600 based on your height and current weight. 2150 calories in a day? No problem! Especially since you weren't eating much earlier in the week. Your calories don't just reset at midnight every day, after all. You don't need to eat a certain number of calories every day, just try to make that number your daily average over the week/2 weeks/month/etc. Your mom might be right about this being your body's compensation for eating so little before.
Oh, and one more bit of advice - don't try to burn off the excess through exercising way more than normal. It's like punishing yourself, which is not a good strategy for weight loss. Be kind to yourself and know that it's okay to fall sometimes! Besides, exercise should be fun and enjoyable, not a form of punishment for eating too much.
Thanks so much for the information! And good to know! That makes me feel so much better! And don't worry I am never over exercising again! I will keep it healthy! Again thank you so much!

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-01-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #10  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Everyone's already covered what I was going to say. I did want to add that this isn't just about losing weight, it's also about having a healthier relationship with food and learning to care for yourself. That includes not beating yourself up over something that you cannot change (yesterday) and seeing catastrophe in something that isn't (eating at maintenance level for one day). Put yesterday in perspective, try not to make it so big an issue that you feel guilty, overcompensate and end up tripping yourself up more. Just move forward with your healthy plan. Learn from yesterday what you can, but leave it in the past. It's just one day don't let it snowball into feeling guilty and into making unhealthy choices. You're doing well. Plus, you reached out for support instead of overexercising. That's growth.
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb&flow View Post
Everyone's already covered what I was going to say. I did want to add that this isn't just about losing weight, it's also about having a healthier relationship with food and learning to care for yourself. That includes not beating yourself up over something that you cannot change (yesterday) and seeing catastrophe in something that isn't (eating at maintenance level for one day). Put yesterday in perspective, try not to make it so big an issue that you feel guilty, overcompensate and end up tripping yourself up more. Just move forward with your healthy plan. Learn from yesterday what you can, but leave it in the past. It's just one day don't let it snowball into feeling guilty and into making unhealthy choices. You're doing well. Plus, you reached out for support instead of overexercising. That's growth.
Thank you so much! I am gonna try to keep myself positive today. Looking on the brighter side of things! I will try my best not to feel too guilty. Again thank you so much for you words of support and comfort!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #12  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Have you thought about calorie cycling? One day you have a couple hundred less calories, which you add to another day (or however you want to cycle them). I think this would help with the starve/binge (which I don't think 2100 calories is a binge, it could very well be your maintenance calories as another poster mentioned) tribulations you're going through. I'm not an expert in calorie cycling, but I'm sure you could find some great information in the calorie counters section!

And please, post as much as you need to! We're here for you and you may be helping other people that lurk and are not members!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
Have you thought about calorie cycling? One day you have a couple hundred less calories, which you add to another day (or however you want to cycle them). I think this would help with the starve/binge (which I don't think 2100 calories is a binge, it could very well be your maintenance calories as another poster mentioned) tribulations you're going through. I'm not an expert in calorie cycling, but I'm sure you could find some great information in the calorie counters section!

And please, post as much as you need to! We're here for you and you may be helping other people that lurk and are not members!
Calorie cycling? I'll look into it! Thank you so much! And thanks! I just worry I bother people with my posts lol
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #14  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I say listen to your body within reason. Some days when I'm not active, I eat 800 calories. Other days I eat 2400. Most days I eat between 1400-1800. As long as every day isn't super low or super high, you will be fine.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
I say listen to your body within reason. Some days when I'm not active, I eat 800 calories. Other days I eat 2400. Most days I eat between 1400-1800. As long as every day isn't super low or super high, you will be fine.
Thank you so much! But my bodies not usually so hungry. It's satisfied pretty easy. But I starved for 3 days so... My body probably didn't like that. lol

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.