View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
PatLib

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I found this:

"The Nutritional Values of White and Brown Sugar

Although many people are of the opinion that brown sugar is a healthier option than white sugar, the truth is that they only have marginally different nutritional values. White sugar is actually 99.9% pure sucrose, while brown sugar is 97% sucrose, 2% water and 1% other substances. A teaspoon of white sugar contains 16 kilocalories, whereas one teaspoon of brown sugar has 17 kilocalories. The molasses in brown sugar contains a number of minerals, which include calcium, potassium, magnesium and iron, but since only very small amounts of these minerals are present in brown sugar, they do not bring any health benefit to the body. It is known that sugar has very little nutrients, and both white sugar and brown sugar do not do much to promote health."

Depending on what you are cooking/eating/drinking you could try using honey. Which also has some downsides but it is marginally healthier but barely.

I like it better only because I feel like a little goes a long way compared to how much sugar I use.