General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/155/105

Height: 5'1"

Wink Secret Weapons?

Everyone has those little tips and tricks to helping them stay on track, so what are your 'secret weapons'?

A couple of mine are a little weird.

In the morning before I even leave my bedroom I stick my head out the window and take a deep breath of fresh air just listen to whats going on outside. Even in the winter. I don't know what it's like the fresh air gives me a fresh start to my day.

Brush my teeth after every meal.

lightly flavoured stove top popcorn or air popped. 3Tbsp unpopped makes about 7.5 cups popped. For every 1 cup of popped popcorn there's only 15 calories! It's a great snack to grab a handful of when I'm hungry. It's also gluten free for those allergic.

I keep measuring cups on the counter for portion control.

Occasionally I'll go to Starbucks and ask for a Trenta iced cup with a lid and a straw. They look at me kind of funny but a trenta cup is 30 oz. so it's great for keeping track of how much water I've had for the day

Last edited by leighalittletyke; 04-29-2013 at 09:50 AM.
leighalittletyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #2  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I bring one of those 16.9 oz. bottled waters with me and refill it throughout the day while I'm at work. I try to refill it twice throughout the day and drink all of it. By the time I get home, I've drank 50 oz. of water.

Sugar-Free hard candy really helps me out in the afternoons. I like the Baskin Robbins flavors. I have Cookies'n'Cream currently.

I drink a lot of naturally sweet teas, like herbal and white teas with fruit. I've cut out sugary drinks by replacing them with unsweetened, flavored teas.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I always keep cottage cheese in my lunch bag just in case lunch doesn't hold me over. I use to dislike cottage cheese, but it's a great source of protein and calcium (I'm not much of a milk drinker). I like to mix dry ranch dressing in for flavor. I also use it on my salads instead of salad dressing.

The protein and minimal fat that it provides keeps me full for hours.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #4  
Dawn, Age 47

S/C/G: 174/165/125

Coming back here every day to read inspiring posts! I rarely post but hit the forums daily.

I also have an extra Outlook calendar named "Fitness" where I enter my daily calorie burn and steps walked (per my Body Media Fit), mi walked, mi jogged, time spent lifting weights. See entries (especialy all five items) on most days is very motivating for me.
Return2Fast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #5  

I put sugarfree syrups in my coffee and feel extravagantly fancy! Mocha or caramel are my favorites but Irish Cream or English Toffee are awesome too.

I pack a bag of food even if I'm only going out for a short trip (not a lot of food, but enough that I can't say "Oh I have to go have a double triple Big Mac since I didn't plan."). I have found planning to be KEY in my success.

I track all of my food in a journal in pen plus on MFP. I get excited seeing that I drank all my water or got in my required fruits and vegetables. Who gets excited over that?! ME!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #6  
Started IP 10/21/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I pack a bag of food even if I'm only going out for a short trip (not a lot of food, but enough that I can't say "Oh I have to go have a double triple Big Mac since I didn't plan."). I have found planning to be KEY in my success.
That's a pretty good idea! Can I pick your brain? Thanks, lol.

Do you pack a fresh bag every time, or do you keep non-perishable things in the car at all times? What kinds of foods do you take? Especially with summer coming I would worry about food spoiling with the heat.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
That's a pretty good idea! Can I pick your brain? Thanks, lol.

Do you pack a fresh bag every time, or do you keep non-perishable things in the car at all times? What kinds of foods do you take? Especially with summer coming I would worry about food spoiling with the heat.
Of course you can pick my brain, anytime on any subject!! (I might not have the answers but I'll surely help!!)

I always have fresh fruit on the counter (bananas, apples, etc.) so those are easy to grab plus I always have veggies cut up in ziplocks for the week in the fridge so I grab a few of each into a new baggy. I keep protein bars in my purse plus a couple in my backpack (it's a Vera Bradley one, so a little fancier than your average bag). So nothing really major or complicated, just enough to keep me in line. My bag has spoons, forks and crystal light packets (the individual ones) in it too so I'm always prepared to eat or drink! I keep a bottle of unopened flavored seltzer water too (I prefer it over plain water but any will do. I keep the crystal light in case I have to run in the store for water.)

I hope that's a good enough answer for you, it sounds so simple and boring but days that I forget to pack it seems like something comes up and I regret it!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #8  
Started IP 10/21/15

That's great Elvislover, thanks! I'm doing intuitive eating and when I'm out I don't feel like having what's readily available from restaurants when I get hungry. It's always nice to have options and new ideas!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #9  
TJM

S/C/G: 12st/10st 7/9st

Height: 5 foot 5

The juice of a lemon in about 1.5-2 litres of water, with sweetener, drunk over a couple of hours when I get home at night. I can put off eating until 9pm with this (the diet I was on was bout eating exact foods, times of eating didnt matter). It tastes lovely & it REALLY helps with hunger.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Crystal light helps me when I have a sweet tooth craving. Some of them taste pretty sweet even though they only have a few calories. My favorite is the raspberry lemonade one.

I also try to drink water or chew gum when I am feeling hungry. It really does help.

When I am not sure if I am legitimately hungry or just bored, I picture myself eating a big steak (on of my favorite restaurant meals). If it sounds good, I really am hungry and have a small snack. If the thought of eating the whole steak is a little disgusting, I realize I am just bored and drink some water instead.

When I am at school (college) I look up the menu for the day ahead of time and plan out my meals for the day, or even the week. I might vary a little, but if I plan it out I feel more guilty if I stray off my plan
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #11  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

One more helpful hint. If you know you're going out for dinner or lunch and know where you'll be going, try to check out the menu online beforehand. Compare calories. Decide what your best choice is. You will end up choosing something healthier with the pre-planning rather than rushing through the menu once you're there.

Applebees has a great "Under 500 Calorie" section on their menu.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #12  

These are some great tips! I try to carry fruit on my purse so incase i get hungry i eat the fruit instead of something I shouldnt
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

1. As soon as I wake up I put on my work out gear including my shoes. That way I have no excuses after I have my coffee, it makes me feel like a real sloth if I go through the trouble of taking off my sneakers so I just head out for a walk instead.

2. Whenever I miss soda (cut it loose a while back) I have seltzer with lemon.

3. I wear a pedometer at all times. It makes every step count.

4. Get out of the subway one stop early and walk the rest of the way.

5. Park my car at the furthers point of the lot away from the doors. Keeps me walking.

6. Walk to the grocery store every single day to pick up fresh produce.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #14  
weight room rookie

S/C/G: 267/233/150

At home:

* I keep fresh fruit in bright, pretty bowls on the pass-through bar.

* Measuring cups and my food scale have a permanent, very visible spot on my kitchen counter.

* Knitting/crochet works-in-progresses are stashed in the bedroom and living room. I usually eat at night when I'm bored and not hungry, so having different projects to work on keeps my hands busy.

* A calender in the kitchen where I mark fitness goals, miles biked, and a running tally of days I've gone to the gym.

At work:

* I replaced my Emergency Candy drawer in my desk with several different tins of tea. There's a chocolate mint rooibos I like that takes away the candy cravings.

* There's a post-it set on my desk next to my 24 oz. water glass. I'll make a tick mark when I've finished one glass to keep up with how much water I've had for the day.

* Next to the tea, there's one of those MTWThF pill boxes with my daily vitamins that I'll take after breakfast.

In the car:

* I keep my gym bag on the passenger side floorboard to remind myself to go to the gym. As soon as I get back, I'll re-load it with clean clothes and immediately put it back in the car, so there's no "Oh, I can't work out, I forgot my stuff today" excuses.
Issaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

• I also plan my meals ahead of time and look up restaurant menus etc.
  • I chew sugar free gum and drink water to curb sugar cravings and hunger.
  • If I want to binge on something salty, instead of having gum, I put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in a large glass of water and drink that. It really helps curb my salt cravings (and I like bitter things, so the taste doesn't bother me).
  • I also keep chicken bullion cubes around and make myself a mug of broth when I am craving salt and/or wanting to eat out of boredom.
  • I track everything I eat and all of the exercise that I do, this helps keep me accountable.
  • Instead of transferring from one train/bus to the next train/bus, I get off and walk the remainder of the way.
  • I schedule my workouts and tell my boyfriend and gym-buddy my schedule so that if I skip, one of them will take notice and help keep me accountable.
  • I keep one pair of running shoes/workout clothes at my apartment, and another set at my boyfriends apartment, this way I have no excuse not to workout.
  • I come to the forums basically every day for motivation and encouragement!
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote