View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Quirky Chick
A determined quirky chick

S/C/G: 265/227/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Is healthy eating now a "diet" in the American culture?

I hear a lot of people remarking, "I can't eat that, I'm on a diet" - this coming from people that aren't on a weight loss diet, but actually just trying not to gain weight. You hear about diets all over the place. I am now hearing children in the 8-10 y/o age range discussing diets. About 6 months ago my niece (8-years-old) was talking with a friend about how the girls in her class had been talking about needing to go on a diet. Also, I see a lot of people that are not differentiating between healthy eating and weight loss diets. My niece goes to me the other day exclaming that her mother put her on a "diet." Of course I knew whatever she was talking about couldn't be how it sounded. So I question it, and her mother told her that she was going to cut back on her sugary afternoon snacks; she's not cutting all sugar out, but she wants her to eat more fruit. And it's not for weight loss, obviously. She eats pretty healthy when it comes to meals, but I think what her mother wants her to learn is that snacks don't just mean junk food. So my niece associates eating healthy with a diet, rather than eating healthy, simply. Anyone else notice these things?

Basic goal

One for each 5lbs lost
Quirky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote