Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #1  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Cool So there's this thing...

In fact, this thing is coming up in June, which happens to be a super fancy event. It will be my husband and I's first time going to one of these events, which is steeped in a lot of tradition and should be a ton of fun.

It's the Military Ball! I'm pretty stoked However I am also all because it's pretty soon and I want to look a little more toned beforehand! Since my husband and I started Insanity, I know that will certainly help. But I'm a little nervous about finding a dress (very formal, has to be floor length which makes my butt happy) and figuring out how to get my hair done and do my make up. So while I'm all because I love getting dressed up and being fancy, I'm a lot more like about making sure I stick to my nutrition and workouts to look a bit healthier. Also since he is moving up in the ranks, I want to make sure I look presentable!

I know not to set any crazy goals, like lose 20 pounds in 6 weeks or anything like that, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be working it and busting my booty regardless! My goal is to just stick with my plan, no matter what, and to keep up the workouts! We started up Insanity but will be going hardcore on the actual workout plan they send starting Monday.

Anyways, I'm stoked, and wanted to share. Also to possibly get some advice from anyone who has been to a similar event as far as finding a beautiful and appropriate dress without breaking the bank and maybe some hair and makeup tips!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

If you have friends that are the same size, as them if they have any dresses you can borrow. I was also shocked at the number of fancy dresses at Goodwill and such but it varies SO MUCH. So you have to be diligent.

Also, Gwynnie Bee is a plus size dress rental: http://intro.gwynniebee.com/pages/howitworks3

Also, I own this dress in two styles (one of them was actually my wedding dress. I eloped) and I think it's incredibly versatile. http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clo...esses/12060902

Last edited by Goddess Jessica; 04-25-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Here's the dress actually on me at City Hall:

0055_Jessica Alex (ZF-1273-05092-1-055) by tilthouse, on Flickr
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #4  
Mary

S/C/G: 281/273.8/160

Height: 5'8"

Jessica I love that dress! I really want to get that one for my BIL's wedding in July but I keep waivering. I am such a bad decision maker.

Of all the places I've had good luck looking for ball length stuff is Amazon because you can do so much filtering and kiyonna (the maker of the dress above).
LadyPurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #5  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Jessica...that picture looks so professional! You look like a model. It's really gorgeous.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Jessica - beautiful bride in a gorgeous dress!!

Pink - I'm not sure what your budget will be but Nordstrom sometimes has some nice formal stuff on clearance. You just have to kind of stalk it to see what they have. Or do you have any consignment stores in your area? You could even call to see if they stock any plus sized formal dresses.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #7  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I bought a bridesmaids dress from Amazon. I'm with Ladypurl, you can look there. I've also seen a lot of dresses on ebay, too, but I haven't bought one. You just have to make sure to have your measurements.

Have a good time!!!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

Oh how exciting! I haven't been to a military before, but I did attend a Charity Ball which was a formal event benefit for American Cancer Society called the White Cross Ball. It was so much fun!
I have a friend who went to a Millitary ball a few years ago. Dont be afraid to get dolled up! She wore a beautiful long dress (kind of like a prom dress) and had hair extensions, a mani and pedi.
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would check out consignment shops and Goodwill but lookout sometimes they are bridesmaids dresses and that is what they look like. Check out stores like Macy's and Nordstroms for sales and closeouts.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #10  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I actually found 2 (size 16) formals at Ross around Christmastime. It's prom season, now. Get out there and look -- you might find something where you least expect it!

And, I also think that dress looks great on Jessica! I'm looking into that one, myself. That's my idea of a wedding, too... simple but classy!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Fantastic dress Jessica. Stole the show!!

Not to mention hubby. Super sharp!

Phew. Sure sets the bar.

Last edited by IanG; 04-25-2013 at 11:06 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #12  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

What a beautiful dress Jessica...it's a great photo of you and your husband!

If you need something really fancy and you don't have much luck with consignment or Goodwill, maybe see if any of your local bridal stores are having any sales. Be forewarned...dresses at those places tend to run really small so don't be discouraged if you have to go up a couple of sizes. I think maybe it's because they adhere to standard sizing charts where most of what we buy has been subject to "vanity" sizing.

This is a big thing for you...treat it like you did when you got married. Get the fancy dress, flip through magazines for hair ideas and have get your hair done. Have someone do your makeup for you. It's a great chance to celebrate the amazing person you are!
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #13  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Jessica that is such a beautiful and classy dress! I love the way you and your husband look together, so sharp and super cute!

Thank you for all of the suggestions everyone! I am super excited about this, I think it's going to be a lot of fun. One of my grandmothers wants to take me dress shopping in the middle of May, and she said she would pay for alterations if I needed to take in any fabric due to inches being lost. I was like YAAAAAAAAAY!

Also I definitely plan to start flipping through magazines and Pinterest to get some good hair and make up ideas. A local bridal shop is supposed to be having a sale in May so if I don't find anything yet, I am going to check there for there more prom like dresses and go from there!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #14  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I went to the Military ball last year, Davids Bridal. Saved the day. My bff went while 7 most pregnant and they had a dress for her too. You want fancy and formal and on a budget. They also had the pretty hair accessories
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #15  

Good luck finding a dress, pink hurricane! You are going to be beautiful for your husband! And what an awesome experience!

And Jessica, your profile picture is cute but your wedding picture is gorgeous! What a beautiful dress and the adoring look on your face is priceless. Looks like an ad I'd see for a perfume or dress in a magazine. Love it!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote