Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
That is so true!!!

One may use the SSRI's as an excuse, the other may not (esp if other meds are added like Abilify, lithium etc). It comes down to responsibility.

I feel I have a bit harder time shedding this weight because of the meds I am on. I would love to get off them, but the rest of the world would not like it as well

I can lose weight if I eat upto 1400 cals per day and exercise 1 hr/day. If I eat 1500-1600 cal per day and exercise 1 hr per day (fast walking and/or weight lifting), I maintain. Calories above 1600 with exercise; I will gain -- The "stats" say otherwise. So I think it is the meds....what else could it be?? -- Stats say I should easily eat 1900 cal per day and maintain, and with all the exercise I should be able to eat as much as 2200-2400 cal per day and maintain. So why can't my body follow these mathematical formulas? -- Yep, I think it is the meds
I am currently experimenting with how many calories I can take in so I can lose 2 lbs per week. I am trying 1200 calories for now (as directed by My Fitness Pal), and I even go over that sometimes.. Because it is my first week going that low! I got off my Antidepressant last week, but I even gained a few pounds since then. I am pretty sure it is water weight, because even sodium intake guidelines aren't restrictive enough if you don't drink enough water.

I'm wasn't entirely healthy before starting the meds, because our eating habits can come from our parents/families, and there is even some diabetes in my genes.

So basically, I think we can all say that once those chemicals get into our blood and brains, it alters what our bodies are supposed to be like. I mean if we are supposed to have a faster metabolism, it can definitely change that. Maybe even in the long term after a person gets off the medicine, because it can take weeks for your body and brain's patterns to change.

Last edited by Alicia546; 04-25-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote