WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 07:51 AM   #1  

Question

What is your favorite low point soup? I am looking for some new ideas and would love to hear what your favorites are. Thank you so much.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:17 AM   #2  

Here's an easy one we really like:

1 extra large can chicken broth
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (broc-caul-carrots)
1 small can Ro-tel diced tomatoes w/chilis (mild or hot, acc to taste)
2 ounces lowfat Velveeta cheese, diced
Boil broth, add veggies (5 mins covered), add tomatoes and cheese; stir just until cheese melts.
(You can use more broth if you like. If I have time, I also add fresh herbs.)
I think the whole pot is 3 pts; 1 for the carrots now, and 2 for the Velveeta. Sometimes I use more Velveeta and add the points.)
Old 04-24-2001, 11:41 AM   #3  
imaleader

Default soup

I'm really a devotee of the WW zero points soup recipe. It's so easy and flexible. You can change the veggies (I never use zucchini -- as it gets too watery for my taste) and herbs. I frequently omit the oregono/italian angle and change to dill and add a diced parsnip. Also, a teaspoon or two of curry powder while the veggies are sauteeing makes a nice change. Sometimes, when I have them handy, I throw in lentils (of course, count the points) or left over rice from chinese takeout. I hardly use commercial soups, but when I do, I like progresso's black bean; and use fat free campbells cr. of broccoli/mushroom/chicken for the base in lots of sauces (I dilue w/ broth or stock).

Old 04-24-2001, 01:42 PM   #4  

Yes my very favorite one is the one that JanetMae
said! Except I just use the broccoli in it. Really good!! I also thicken it with arrowroot. My other favorite is

Chicken Corn Chowder:
3-chicken breast cubed
can of Mexi Corn
2 cans of FF chicken broth or boullion cubes in water
1/2 c. flour
2 c. skim milk
4 oz. velveeta lite
3 potatoes cubed
Cook chicken,set aside. Boil potatoes aprox. 5 min. Add all ingredients in pot and simmer 20 min. or until everything is done. Total points=36
Old 04-24-2001, 01:48 PM   #5  

Sorry forgot to ask if anyone knows what I could substitue the chicken for. I'm trying not to eat any meat, and would appreciate any input. I was thinking about trying the crumbles in it in place of the chicken. I'll have to try it and get back you all of you.
Old 04-24-2001, 02:21 PM   #6  

You can use vegetable broth or bouillon in place of the chicken broth, and you can find soy-based products intended to resemble chicken in a health food store. There is one called "chicken-not" which comes in dry chunks, strips, and crumbles. It is intended to be hydrated before use but you might be able to just toss it in the soup and cook a while. Seitan (a gluten product--some brands call it "wheat meat") is very chicken-like in texture as well.

Boca also makes a "chicken" product (Boca tenders) which you could chunk up.
Old 04-24-2001, 04:57 PM   #7  

Default 1 point instant soup

Hello all.....I found a instant soupI like to take with me on he run......Miso Soup...It's in the Asian section of the grocery store....I add a cup of wter instead of the 3/4 cup and it's delicious and only one point! Enjoy.....I'm also a big fan of the WW zero point soup....so many ways to change it!
Old 04-28-2001, 02:41 AM   #8  

I just discovered Trader Joe's Chunky Minestrone Soup this weekend. It is fabulous and only 1 point per serving. Hmmmmm . . . I had it for dinner tonight. I usually make the WW's Garden Vegetable Soup, but from now on I'll keep a few cans of the T.J.'s soup in my pantry for times when I'm not in the mood to cook.

Shelly
Old 04-28-2001, 01:40 PM   #9  

Campbell's has a number of 98% fat free soups available. One of my favorites is New England Clam Chowder. It is 2 points per serving - sometimes I eat the whole can for 4 points, which is still a nice low point lunch and very filling and tasty. I also like the Progresso Lentil soup - same points.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:15 AM   #10  
DETERMINED!

I love egg drop soup.
Ingredients:
1 can of College Inn chicken Broth(Light&FF)
1egg-beaten lightly
pepper

Simmer broth .Slowly stream in egg.SLOWLY STIR!
Cook until the egg is done.

I'm sure there are more exact recipes for this.But this is easy,and works for me.

I like to bring this to work for lunch,because it is filling.
I think the whole thing has 3points.

Last edited by sparrow; 04-29-2001 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-29-2001, 02:59 PM   #11  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default veggie subs

Do you think your recipie would taste good with veg broth instead? Also, I don't use regular eggs, I usually use egg beaters or No Yolks. Could those work as well?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2001, 10:30 PM   #12  
DETERMINED!

I'm sure egg beaters would work . I don't know if I would like an egg mixed in veggie broth,but I might
give it a try.
Lauren
Old 04-30-2001, 08:23 PM   #13  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Thanks

I think I'll try it. Isn't take-out ED soup pretty low in points too, do you know?

That would make a decent snack or meal on the run..minus the wonton noodles, of course!
Old 05-19-2001, 09:58 PM   #14  
DETERMINED!

I'm sure it is low in calories,because of the ingredients
But I'm not sure of the exact amount.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:21 AM   #15  
Hip Highland Chick

Default yummy low point soups

My current #1 favorite low point soup is Panera (St. Louis Bread Company) french onion soup without the cheese. Check Dottie's for the points...I think it's only 1 or 2.

I also like Campbell's 98% fat free Cream of Celery.
Closed Thread