View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #199
SouthernMaven
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedaze View Post
I am thinking it might be better to give up alcohol until I feel more solid and stable in recovery and maybe just drink at a social event where there are other people around. what do you all think? And anyone else notice this with alcohol?
veggiedaze - I'm not sure what would be the best thing for you to do, as I've not been in your position. However, I can tell you that when I drink wine I do want to snack. This is one of the reasons why, when I made up my mind to once again get rid of my extra weight (February), I made the decision to abstain from wine for 90 days. I wasn't about to tell myself that I could never have it again - rather, I chose 90 days because I felt like that was a significant enough length of time to break my habit of plopping in front of the TV every evening with wine and pistachios (or chips, or cheese, or whatever). I knew I had a wedding coming up in May and decided that I wouldn't drink any wine until that weekend.

Getting rid of the wine totally eliminated my nighttime snacking. I was also amazed at how easy it was to give up. I'll admit I'm a tad nervous about drinking it the weekend of the wedding (it's an out of town wedding with social activities for four nights straight) as I don't want to fall back into the habit of drinking it every night, but since I'll be drinking it only in social settings I believe I won't have any problems restricting it to only social occasions. I've noticed that the only time I've missed it at all is when I'm out with friends or family, so if I can keep it to those occasions only I should be fine. I've made up my mind that I'll treat it like any other food - I'll drink it slowly and savor it. And I'll not mindlessly snack while drinking it. If I do this I should be satisfied with less.

So because of my own situation, I have a tendency to agree with you about limiting your intake. Alcohol definitely reduces your inhibitions and it sounds as if it's having an effect on your ability to resist binging. If you're thinking of binging in terms of "having fun," I would be concerned that continuing the wine will eventually lead to "oh, just this once won't hurt" type of mentality. And we all know where that leads, unfortunately.

- Rob Stevens, The Overfed Head

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein