Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Gaining "Weight" in the Hospital

So I had an elective procedure this week (won't bother with the details...nothing major...and I'll be fine...) But I wound up spending 4 days in the hospital... And I decided that I would just "go with the flow" and just eat whatever... And actually, as far as hospital "food" goes it was pretty good... an individualized A La Carte menu that was delivered to my room at the time I choose, designed to be like "room service" ... and it actually turned out to be better than some hotels that I've stayed in if you can believe that... lol... And I've always thought trying to "diet" when you're in the hospital is just silly and usually just counter productive... and the least of my worries...

Anyway, I get home yesterday and I just had to step on the scale and it was up 7lbs!!! Now I know it's just all water "weight" from the IV's and all of that... I mean between all the fluids not to mention the dextrose and sodium in them... No real surprise there... and of course since I was in the hospital.... I decided that was entitled to have ginger ale and ice cream among other things...

So I don't even really care all that much about the scale.... although that's annoying but I'll get over it.... But now all I want to do is dust off my old panini press and eat sandwich's the rest of the day.... Oh, and maybe eat a pint of Dulce de leche on top of that too... and who knows what else... I just can't believe how ravenous I feel... and I think what's worse is I just don't seem to care either...

So anyone else get crazy carb and sugar cravings after something like this? Any tips or tricks on how you handled it? I would love to hear them...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Awe, hospital weight sucks! And I understand - my newborn daughter came down with a fever on Thursday and so I'm typing this from the pediatric ward of the hospital, where we're both staying until (at least) Saturday, waiting for all the panels to be run and such. I'm managing to stay on plan on terms of food choices with the menu, but I'm quite sure my calories are all over the place with stress, weirdly timed meals, and someone else preparing them!

Still, when you're in the hospital you do what you can. You'll get off those seven pounds quickly, even the parts that might be actual fat gain (likely a pound or less, unless you were seriously pounding back calories ) and be back on your merry way in no time. And me, too! I have to remind myself that hospital weight is jut what it is and stressing doesn't help it go away any faster!

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #3  

Glad you are ok and back home recovering. And you are right, there is nothing to worry about with the IV water weight, that will be gone in a few days.

But Ms. Tripswitch, now the hard part!! Your mini hotel hospital stay is OVER!!! Step away from the sandwich maker!!! You are stronger than any silly machine and the sandwiches won't taste half as good as you are craving for!!

Based on your threads here and your weightloss success, I seem to think you don't really have any intention of making those sandwiches or eating any sweets. But just in case, it's really not worth it!! Think of those 7 pounds that you see on the scale right now, they are going to practically melt away as it's not real gain. But if you start loading up on those sandwiches and ice cream, they aren't going away as fast.

I don't mean to tell you what to do. But from my side right now, you don't really want them. Or you would have been making them instead of writing to us!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Awe, hospital weight sucks! And I understand - my newborn daughter came down with a fever on Thursday and so I'm typing this from the pediatric ward of the hospital, where we're both staying until (at least) Saturday, waiting for all the panels to be run and such. I'm managing to stay on plan on terms of food choices with the menu, but I'm quite sure my calories are all over the place with stress, weirdly timed meals, and someone else preparing them!

Still, when you're in the hospital you do what you can. You'll get off those seven pounds quickly, even the parts that might be actual fat gain (likely a pound or less, unless you were seriously pounding back calories ) and be back on your merry way in no time. And me, too! I have to remind myself that hospital weight is jut what it is and stressing doesn't help it go away any faster!
I've been meaning to ask you how babygirl is!! But I didn't want to interrupt any threads. Now that she (and you!) are at the hospital, I had to go O/T. I hope she's better real soon!! And I can't imagine your stress. I hope the time flies and you get to go home sooner than later.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post

Thank you so much.... I hope everything will be OK... I can't even imagine how stressful that must be... You and your daughter will be my thoughts and prayers and hope you're both home safe and sound before you even know it....
Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Glad you are ok and back home recovering. And you are right, there is nothing to worry about with the IV water weight, that will be gone in a few days.

But Ms. Tripswitch, now the hard part!! Your mini hotel hospital stay is OVER!!! Step away from the sandwich maker!!! You are stronger than any silly machine and the sandwiches won't taste half as good as you are craving for!!

Based on your threads here and your weightloss success, I seem to think you don't really have any intention of making those sandwiches or eating any sweets. But just in case, it's really not worth it!! Think of those 7 pounds that you see on the scale right now, they are going to practically melt away as it's not real gain. But if you start loading up on those sandwiches and ice cream, they aren't going away as fast.

I don't mean to tell you what to do. But from my side right now, you don't really want them. Or you would have been making them instead of writing to us!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Thanks... yeah I'm not gonna bother with that panini press, because its a real pain to clean anyway...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 04-23-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/372/125

Height: 5'4

When I broke my ankle I was in the hospital a couple days after the surgery and I was shocked at how good the hospital food was. They also had this "room service" style food.

Glad you are on the mend.
200poundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #8  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundquest View Post
When I broke my ankle I was in the hospital a couple days after the surgery and I was shocked at how good the hospital food was. They also had this "room service" style food.

Glad you are on the mend.
Thanks!

Although, I think I definitely overdid it with my calories this weekend while "recuperating"... lol... So I think this stubborn bit of "weight" that I gained is gonna take a bit longer to come off than I had hoped...

Oh, well...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/264/200

Height: 5'10"

I can gain 7 lbs from eating a Chinese food meal. As it sounds like you know, this isn't real weight, it comes off in a few days. It is frustrating to see it on the scale, though.
DianeM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #10  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM2 View Post
I can gain 7 lbs from eating a Chinese food meal...
I hear ya on that one...

And I did have some Chinese take out delivered this weekend too, because I just wasn't up to cooking.... So I'm sure that didn't help...