Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #1  
JDarling84

S/C/G: 260/160

Height: 5'9

Default Thyroid

I had my thyroid levels checked in March and I was about a 7 I went back today and everything was normal except my TSH levels. They were 28. I didn't have a chance to talk to my Dr to let him know what supplements I have been taking but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I am very worried. It seems like I am always having problems with this thing.
jdarlinghollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #2  

I had normal TSH last June.. Started IP in Aug. In Dec TSH was elevated and started on meds. Meds brought levels back down.

After research, I cut soy and gluten (gluten especially hard on hashimotos).
That cut A LOT of my favorite IP products. I'm using some alternatives as replacements and learning to live without my favorite restricteds. I do more packet hack recipes to help, too (muffins, cookies, pancakes)

Haven't had TSH tested lately. Return to doc in June.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #3  

How are levels tested - with blood work?

I've always speculated whether I may have thyroid issues but am squeamish having blood taken.
peaches17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches17 View Post
How are levels tested - with blood work?

I've always speculated whether I may have thyroid issues but am squeamish having blood taken.
Doc orders thyroid panel
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

It likely doesn't have anything to do with the diet or the supplements. Your thyroid may have been failing and you weren't aware. When I was diagnosed hypothyroid (almost four years ago, long before IP) it was much the same thing - at my last physical my TSH levels were ok, then the next time I got a checkup they were through the roof.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

I had the same experience Scorbett. I started getting really tired, so tired that a 20 minute shower would require me to lay down and sleep for 2 hours after, my hair was balling up in knots, I had bruises constantly. All sorts of other symptoms as well.

I was put on Armour thyroid meds and noticed a difference within 24 hours. Of course it has taken years to figure out all the other stuff going on with me as well - like Rheumatoid athritis, fibromyalgia and sever food allergies.

Since I started IP and at the same time went gluten free my thyroid levles have been steadily improving! The doctor has me in once a month to monitor me on the diet and she is more than impressed with the improvements to my health.

Current weight - 184

Last edited by Kat117; 04-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat117 View Post
I had the same experience Scorbett. I started getting really tired, so tired that a 20 minute shower would require me to lay down and sleep for 2 hours after, my hair was balling up in knots, I had bruises constantly. All sorts of other symptoms as well.

I was put on Armour thyroid meds and noticed a difference within 24 hours. Of course it has taken years to figure out all the other stuff going on with me as well - like Rheumatoid athritis, fibromyalgia and sever food allergies.

Since I started IP and at the same time went gluten free my thyroid levles have been steadily improving! The doctor has me in once a month to monitor me on the diet and she is more than impressed with the improvements to my health.

Current weight - 184
Yeah, it turns out I had symptoms showing up as far back as 10 years ago, but nothing that sent me to the doctor for a checkup. My TSH was always normal at my physical, but when your thyroid is failing it will often go through periods of hyperthyroid (overactive) and then hypothyroid - kinda like an engine that's struggling to start. It also explained why my weight and energy levels yo-yo'd so much in my late 20's and early 30's - I would go through periods of high energy and motivation, coupled with weight loss. Then I'd get really lazy, lacked motivation, and I'd put on some weight. It was likely a direct result of what was going on with my thyroid.

It's amazing how much better you feel once you're being treated!!! Great job on your losses too!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

There is also a plethora of things that interfere with thyroid function and most replacement thyroid meds. An endocrinologist once suggested I take mine in the middle of the night if I get up to go to the bathroom...or keep a pill handy on the night stand with a glass of water to avoid problems reducing effectiveness from calcium supplements. I've done that for years, and now with some of the IP products being soy based...it is a REALLY good idea to space out thyroid meds so they are working at their best. This way it's usually taken about 5 hrs from the last soy....and about the same amount of time passes before I start agin with the vitamins and soy the next morning. My TSH was actually lower than it's been for a few years a few weeks ago and my Dr. was pleased. Everyone has such a different metabolic picture...you need to understand as much as you can about what you are taking and work out something that is do-able and will get you optimal results. Good Luck..

Last edited by 65X65; 04-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #9  
IP Start 2/5/13

S/C/G: 315/ip292/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 5in

I've been on thyroid meds for the last 20 or so years. Every few years, my dosage has had to be increased. In January I was on 200mcg's, and my doctor keeps reducing the amount little by little every 6 weeks in response to my lab values. Now I am on 137mcg's. (weird dosage) and due to have blood drawn again in about 3 weeks. I wouldn't think my own thyroid would take over so much after so many years of treatment. I wondered if the diet played some part but I'm finding out through this board maybe not. I also started taking my med in the middle of the night when I get up to let the dog out. Maybe that has been the difference, and different food types and timing of breakfast are no longer interfering?
brelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #10  

FWIW: the reading I have done says that low carb diets CAN be hard on thyroid function. It is VERY important to be monitored by a doc thru this process.
I think that is why there are programs that offer "breaks". I'm going to push thru since I'm getting so close but if you're one who started IP already having thyroid problems, it is essential that your doctor help monitor.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

I had my thyroid removed in 2006 and have been closely monitored by my endocrinogist ever since. After years of struggling to lose weight, which packed on due to an unhealthy thyroid, he fully supported me going on IP. The weight loss has had an overall improvement on all of my blood levels including a usually high cholesterol and trygliceride count.
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #12  

No doubt there are huge benefits! I'm still here!
I just think it is important for people to know there CAN be issues
I had huge health risks due to obesity.
I've chosen to get to a normal weight with IP because it is a plan that is working very well for me.
I DID cut the products with soy and gluten. I'm fully expecting, just as other health markers improve, that my thyroid function will also improve when I phase off.

I certainly wasn't trying to scare anyone. For me, the risks of obesity outweigh what I consider to be a temporary side-effect of IP.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #13  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelo View Post
I've been on thyroid meds for the last 20 or so years. Every few years, my dosage has had to be increased. In January I was on 200mcg's, and my doctor keeps reducing the amount little by little every 6 weeks in response to my lab values. Now I am on 137mcg's. (weird dosage) and due to have blood drawn again in about 3 weeks. I wouldn't think my own thyroid would take over so much after so many years of treatment. I wondered if the diet played some part but I'm finding out through this board maybe not. I also started taking my med in the middle of the night when I get up to let the dog out. Maybe that has been the difference, and different food types and timing of breakfast are no longer interfering?
This sounds just like me as far as being on thyroid meds for so long. My endocrin told me that my thyroid is basically dead and that my meds do it all for me now. I wonder now if he meant that literally or not. I guess we'll see when I see him this year. I like your idea of taking them in the middle of the night -- goodness knows I am up for at least 1 potty break. Thanks for the idea.

I am not excited to see my endocrin as last year when I went in, I brought the IP protocol with me and wanted his opinion. He refused to even look at it and shoved his South Beach book at me instead. When I tried to explain further, he wouldn't hear it. I am worried that when I tell him I am now on IP, he will be very negative about it. I think he's a good doctor in all other respects, but he seems married to South Beach and it is very frustrating.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
This sounds just like me as far as being on thyroid meds for so long. My endocrin told me that my thyroid is basically dead and that my meds do it all for me now. I wonder now if he meant that literally or not. I guess we'll see when I see him this year. I like your idea of taking them in the middle of the night -- goodness knows I am up for at least 1 potty break. Thanks for the idea.

I am not excited to see my endocrin as last year when I went in, I brought the IP protocol with me and wanted his opinion. He refused to even look at it and shoved his South Beach book at me instead. When I tried to explain further, he wouldn't hear it. I am worried that when I tell him I am now on IP, he will be very negative about it. I think he's a good doctor in all other respects, but he seems married to South Beach and it is very frustrating.
IP isn't that much different than SB. Low carb, low fat.
It is just more structured (packets vs meals)
And it removes cravings
Tell him that -or just don't talk about it at all & let the weight loss speak for itself!

My doc wasn't the most supportive guy on the planet, either (they like to be the final authority - he would have been so.much.better. had it been his idea!).

I'd lost 45 lbs when I saw him last.
He told me "you could have done this with real food without buying those expensive packets"
I asked him "How was that working for me?" and pointed to my previous weight.
Silence.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

@Lisa: Totally agree. My health and weight started improving once I chased all my doctors into the desert and started educating myself. I also like packaged foods because I do not want to spend hours chopping veggies.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote