Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default How are you balancing your weight training and cardio? (Esp. runners)

I've exercised from the beginning of my weight loss (actually before I started losing) and used 3-5 lb dumbbells as called for in some of my videos (Jillian, The Firm, etc.). Over the last couple of months, however, I've started to get more serious about upping the weight and doing more specific "weight training." I'm limited now by the weights I have - no gym membership and weights are expensive! - but I've been seeing good results and want to keep going and add even heavier weights.

I also enjoy running. I trained for and ran a half last year, and while I have no immediate plans to do another one, I have a 10k in July and just plain enjoy running. I'm not a speed demon and don't want to be one. I like running a long time, slowly. It's great stress relief for me.

However, I've noticed that my stamina is down during runs. Not my cardio ability, but my legs - they get tired and feel heavy. I'm sure timing of workouts has something to do with this.

I also like to incorporate the occasional exercise DVD to keep me from getting bored.

So how do I balance this? What do you do? Weights 2-3x/week? Run 3x? Rest day(s)?

I'm not searching for peak performance in any one area, I just want to do what I love without hurting myself or making myself miserable.

Thanks!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I run 4 days per week and lift weights 3 days per week.

No disrespect at all, Jen, but you are not going to see much effect at all from only working with 3-5 pound dumbbells.

Yes, weights are so D@MN expensive!!! Keep an eye on Craigslist - sometimes you can get GREAT deals.

For now, if I were you, I would focus on core exercises as well as body weight exercises. Squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, wall sits (oh gawd they hurt so good), Mary Catherines, push-ups, the list goes on and on.

This will help build some strength, and will also GREATLY support your running!

Jen

Last edited by CherryPie99; 04-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Thanks, other Jen! Yes, that might not have been clear, but the 3-5 lbs were over the course of my weight loss, not so much for the past few months. As I bumped stuff up I've gone to 8s/10s/12s and more body weight exercises. I'm wanting to buy more weights for home, as I'm able. I'm also looking at the possibility of a TRX-type suspension system.

My legs are really already quite muscular from all the squats, lunges, etc, and I'm happy to keep that up. I know I need to incorporate even more core than I already do.

So, you just alternate running/lifting days?

Last edited by JenMusic; 04-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Actually, not really. I work out twice a day MOST days, so sometimes I lift and run on the same days. Yesterday I ran at lunch and worked arms when I got home.

But I don't typically run on Wednesdays and work legs HARD on those days.

I find that I can run and do upper body and/or core on the same day.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

no answer here but I have the exact same question!
I also really enjoy running but I want to start lifting more intensely so that I can build more muscle. How do I balance the two? I don't have time in a day for 2 workouts...
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Just do lifting one day and running the other, I alternate days and take one day off a week
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I do pretty hardcore resistance training three days a week (30 min) and I bellydance three days a week (60 min). I do compound lifts only right now, so there's no isolating certain body parts on certain days. My form suffers if I try to do both in the same day, although I do it occasionally. If I notice that I'm really not performing up to standard, I'll take a couple of days off from any exercise. Are you getting enough protein in your diet?

Also, I agree about the light weights being essentially worthless. Look into bodyweight exercises. I'm doing the Body By You program right now and it's fabulous!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I lift heavy weights two days a week and run three days a week. If I had my way I'd lift three days a week with only one day with no exercise, but I lift in my friend's basement and I'm not about to invite myself over an extra day haha. I almost never lift on the same day I run but I do it sometimes when I have a "special" run (Like outside or with a friend I don't usually exercise with).
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #9  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

On Mondays and Wednesdays I have an 1 hour weight training class. On Fridays I lift at home.

On Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I do cardio. Either a video like Walk Away The Pounds or if the weather is nice I would go out and so power walking/jogging intervals for 3 - 5 miles.

Sunday's are a toss up. I would either play some sports, do a low impact video or take a rest day if I feel I truly need it.

Almost everyday I am doing some Pilates for 10 - 20 minutes.

Near the end of my fat loss mode I did my cardio in the morning fasted and weight training at night 3 - 4 times per week. I was shrinking fast at that point.

I too agree with you about the light weights. In my class some of my buddies occasionally tease me about how heavy I lift. I usually laugh it off, but last night I said you guys always compliment me and use to ask how I was shrinking quickly, well you gotta lift big! You're not going to transform your body by pushing 3lb pink hand weights and you're going to get tighter and leaner - not look like wrestler. Nothing but silence after that. LOL

Last edited by SunnySide99; 04-18-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:42 AM   #10  

HIIT a strength-training session
  • Reduce rest intervals. The objective of HIIT exercise is to significantly increase heart rate.
  • Include more compound motions. Focus on compound movements that engage entire major muscle groups on your HIIT-strength days.
  • Include cardio.
  • Lift heavier weights
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote