Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #1  

Another 3fc blip--original post is after this reply.

I love my looser clothes!!! But some had to go in the donation bin sooner than later as they were literally falling off!!

I buy the half-off clothes at the Goodwill and they cost me $2.50 each. I have got some brand name goodies for that price!! Some brand new too! And I'll donate them back later so it's like I just borrowed them for a small fee!

Last edited by elvislover324; 04-17-2013 at 05:17 AM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #2  
So Close to Goal

S/C/G: 178/146/125

Height: 5"3

Default When your clothes get too loose!

How to deal with your clothes getting too big, yet you still have a way to go.

http://katehibberd.blogspot.com/2013...too-loose.html
kate27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I replaced an entire wardrobe at least 3 times on my downward journey!! Sale racks at Kohl's were and are my best friend!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I'm about to donate 4 trash bags full of clothes that were falling off to Goodwill! It's a great feeling but I have such a phobia of clothes shopping!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

I'm going to have to try good will. I just had to buy new work pants cuz I couldn't stand walking around holding them up at the same time any longer lol. I'm going to wait til I get down to a 12 or 14 which is 1 or 2 sizes more before I start buying. I just bought a size 14 for work but still fit comfortably in some of my sizen16 jeans.
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I have a feeling I will be frequenting the thrift stores in the near future. In the past the plus sizes have been rather limited so I am hoping that I will be able to find better stuff as I get smaller. I don't want to spend much money now if I can and save up for a big shopping trip when I reach my goal!

I have a sewing machine, I should learn how to take my clothes in to make them last longer!

Last edited by Silverfire; 04-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I have a feeling I will be frequenting the thrift stores in the near future. In the past the plus sizes have been rather limited so I am hoping that I will be able to find better stuff as I get smaller. I don't want to spend much money now if I can and save up for a big shopping trip when I reach my goal!

I have a sewing machine, I should learn how to take my clothes in to make them last longer!
I have been thinking the same thing about going to the thrift store and actually being able to find a good number of things in my size.

Unfortunately, I have been down this road before. I started out around 125 in my 20s, started gaining around 27, and now I am pretty sure I've got jeans to fit all the way between here and there. Then a couple of years ago I lost down to a couple of pounds below where I am now, so I have a few things I bought and sewed for myself last time around.

But mostly I gotta say that i'm kinda rockin' my 3X tops. I don't feel like I'm swimming in them at all. I feel like they're nice and flowy and much more flattering than when they were more fitted, when I was nearly 40 pounds heavier. If I were to buy new tops, I'm not even sure I'd be thrilled to go to a lower size right now. I think I'll get through the summer without buying new stuff, even if I get down another 20 pounds before fall. I will need some new fall tops for sure though. But I look forward to that.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

I'm dealing with this with my work pants right now.

I have two pairs of black pants that I trade of wearing, and wash each night.

They were WAY too tight when I started (they are size 10s and I should have at least been in a 12) and now they are annoyingly loose.

I pull them up constantly and reposition them the whole time I'm at work.

I really would like to wait until 'goal' before I buy new ones, and that was always the plan, but I don't know how practical that will be.

I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores and sales for clothes, so it's not the money, its that I'm so darn short I have to hem and 'adjust' everything I buy. It takes a bit of effort to get them actually wearable.

Then there is a part of me that LIKES them being that loose b/c I can really feel the difference where I've lost weight.

I think I can at least keep them for 10 more pounds, my hips are plenty big enough to keep them up, so I'll just reevaluate around 140ish.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #9  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

This is the main problem with my decision to just maintain for the past few months. Most of my clothes are too big, but I'm hesitant to spend a lot of time or money on clothes when I'd like to drop 5-10 more lbs and don't know how that'll impact my size. Thrift stores are always the answer to this dilemma, but I moved last year and the ones near me don't seem to yield the same kind of treasure. :/ Whine whine whine, right?

I keep putting this on the back burner for other bigger life issues and then being surprised the problem hasn't magically solved itself. I have only one pair of jeans and several yoga/sweat-type pants that fit me right now - not a single pair of dress pants that isn't droopy.

I wish this desire/need to settle my wardrobe down was enough to kick me into "one final push" for weight loss, but no dice - just don't feel up for it yet. Ah well. Maybe I'll have to make a pilgrimage to my old thrift store stomping grounds soon.

Last edited by Desiderata; 04-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I took tee shirts and jeans in as I lost. If you sew, you can do this pretty easily.

For tees that sort of still fit at the shoulder, just sew from the edge of the sleeve to the armpit and then down to the waist. Knit fabric is very forgiving. I totally reconstructed several favorite tee shirts from concerts that couldn't be replaced by taking them completely apart except for the neck.
Jeans can be sewn straight down the side seam if there are no rivets. I cut the waistband and laid it flat open to reduce bulk. That got me through about 30 pounds at the beginning. Then the seat got too baggy so I sewed the inner leg seam from about the knee up to the crotch and back down. That was good for another 15 pounds or so. I started in women's 24s and this got me to regular 18s without having to buy jeans or casual slacks. About 45 minutes per pair total.

And thrift shops were great once I was in regular sizes. Good luck!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #11  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I can't wait for this to happen to me!! I do have a sewing machine and know the basics of sewing, so I think I will teach myself how to alter my clothes. Especially my work shirts because they are all pretty dressy and were pricey. Not that I won't love buying new and smaller sizes!

The problem with being so overweight is that finding clothes in thrift stores or on sales racks is almost impossible. They either don't exist or are too ugly and that is why they ended up in the clearance rack to begin with. However, I always see tons of cute things in the smaller sizes that I would snap up in a heart beat. I want lots and lots of clothes when I reach goal so I better learn to shop smart.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8"

I went to goodwill on Friday and bought two pairs of Jeans--which were a whole pant size smaller than my usual! It was awesome.

I had to do some errands yesterday and I was washing those pants, so I threw on an old pair of Jeans and they were so loose and practically slipping off me-kind of annoying but I had to remind myself, it's a good thing!

I'm going to keep picking up pants from thrift stores until I'm at the weight I want to be-THEN I will update my wardrobe entirely! Excited for that
Mama2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/197/140

Height: 5'3''

I plan to turn all my old t-shirts in to other things. I'm kind of crafty like that.I'm planning on having a Led Zeppelin dress once I lose 70 pounds. Sounds trashy but it'll be cute. The jeans will be cut up an put in to patchwork. Or rebuilt in to some Frankenstein jeans haha. I love old clothes.
Jesserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8"

Also, it feels SO WEIRD to be packing away my clothes that have been my size for years--I don't want to give them away because it feels strange to part with them; they've been my "cute clothes" that I hand picked when I wasn't interested in losing weight, and my brain keeps thinking,"What if you need them, just in case?".

Normal feelings, right?
Mama2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Mama2Four - a word of advice: GET RID OF EVERYTHING THAT'S TOO BIG!

Now that the shouting is over, I think we are giving ourselves permission to relapse when we keep the things that are too big. While not wanting to part with favorites is certainly natural, it might not be the best thing. Think of the joy those items will bring to someone else.

Actually, I'm OK with keeping oversized shirts. They can look cute in their own way - I have 2 Old Navy sweaters that are huge now but are so comfy and I wear them with jeans that fit. If you get rid of the pants, though, you won't be able to gain unless you're willing to buy bigger clothes. That's something I've refused to allow myself to do. When my smallest jeans feel a bit snug, it's time to pull it all in for a couple weeks and get back on plan.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote