Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/172.8/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Weighing in...

So for the first time in over a year, I do not own a scale. Although I'm curious to see what I weigh right now (the last time I checked I was pushing 180 lbs), I think I might wait a good month or 2 before I get a scale (or weigh myself at the gym). What do you guys think? I know that weighing yourself once a week or daily can help, and keep you motivated, but I found myself obsessing over that little number (well, big number) on the scale. I'd weigh myself after every time I went to the bathroom to see a lower number (crazy and weird, I know). I think if I just trust the process, and stick to a low-cal diet, and keep moving, and focus on other things that indicate I'm losing weight (such as clothes getting looser, and feeling better in general) I'll be OK
thegoodvegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #2  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 229/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

It totally depends on the person, I'd lose my mind if I couldn't weigh myself daily (honestly its usually multiple times a day) but others can lose 100+ pounds without ever stepping on a scale and be just fine.
Katie816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/219/140

Height: 5'10"

I weigh myself first thing every morning after the bathroom and completely naked haha. I believe it is the best way to be consistent.

I like weighing myself every day as a reminder to stay on track. Sometimes the scale can play mind games for other people, but I always attribute weight fluctuations to hormones, salty diet or alcohol and let myself know it'll all be okay!
BreakingUpWith90lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

It's a matter of individual preference. I weigh once a week to feed my lust for official data. Sometimes I hop on for a private peek during the week; sometimes I change the official weigh-in day.

Whatever works. There is no rule.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #5  

If you want to wait the month, I say go for it!!

My scale owns me in the worst way but I can't abandon it. It's the biggest way for me to measure my success and measure my progress. And it makes me very happy when it cooperates!!

I say try it and if you need/want to weigh, you can!

Good luck!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #6  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Oh I envy you!!! I am the biggest slave of my scale

BUT, it keeps me accountable. When I stop weighing, I am gaining and in denial. -- I stopped at 162 pounds, I was very depressed over my weigh... Finally when I was ready to face the truth, I hopped on and it was 10 pounds more. So daily weigh ins keep me sane and on path.

Everyone is different. Do what works for you!! Good luck!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #7  

Thanks for your input guys! I think I'll try it out for a month for now. My scale used to own me, and I really didn't like it because that number controlled how I would feel that day. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's been dealing with this sort of stuff!

Thank you
Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #8  

I started my weight loss program in June 2011, and I did not weigh myself (even for an initial number) until I was satisfied with how I looked, which ended up being in November 2011. When I finally weighed myself, I was lower than my goal weight. Since then, I step on the scale once a month or so to keep on track. I have not weighed in two months, though, and it's because I'm trying to avoid the reality that I have gained. I am forcing myself to weigh in tomorrow even though I know the news will not be good (because my clothes are more snug than they were, so I know I've gained). I refuse to be a slave to the scale, but I also refuse to avoid reality. So, I think your idea of waiting a month is great. Just use the scale as one of many tools to keep you on track.

Last edited by lin43; 04-15-2013 at 07:27 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Mandalinn used to have a line in her signature that I loved (she may still have it - I haven't seen her around much lately):
"We use the number on the scale not because it is the most accurate, but because it is the most convenient."

If I were you - happy with my progress and not using a scale - I wouldn't change a thing. There's no rule that says you have to know how much you weigh, or use that number to judge your progress. Clothes, muscles, exercise times - these all work too and are SO MUCH less anxiety producing!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'5"

I use to have an addiction to my scale also. I had to have my boyfriend hide it from me during the week. I only weigh once a week and it does get tempting sometimes but I resist. Now I have enough self control to not hop on everyday so he doesn't hide it anymore. However to make sure I don't mindlessly jump on it, I keep it in the closet on the other side of the house, out of site out of mind.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #11  

Wow lin43! That's really awesome. You've just inspired me not to get a scale (I was looking at them tonight at the drugstore). As they keep saying in yoga: listen to what you're body is telling you. I'm gonna keep paying attention to what my body is saying and how it's feeling and just go from there, and exercise because I want to, not because I need to. And eat right because it's what my body deserves, not because I want to lose weight. Ahh you guys are great (I almost binged tonight but then stopped and took a few breathes and quickly got rid of that though, yay!).

JenMusic - you're totally right. I actually saw this picture on tumblr of a before and after. Before the girl was 162 lbs and not toned and after she weighed 172 but looked AMAZING. So like you said, the number on the scale isn't everything!

ShaMac - I was thinking about doing that. Getting one so I could weigh in and then hide it, but I think it'll do more harm then good for me right now! I think when I'm happy with my appearance, that's when I'll weigh myself
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5´7

I am doing the same thing - avoiding the scale - right now. It just doesn´t help me. If it goes down I justify eating more, if it doesn´t I eat more because "it doesn´t matter, it doesn´t go down anyways". I totally lost the connection between how I feel/look and what I eat. I only eat strategically to have the scale move, avoided lifting weights because I know I wouldn´t lose as much and ran a lot to burn calories.

This craziness has to stop. I am going to weigh in after June, but not before. I am counting my calories, so technically I cannot gain weight if I stick to that.
Xena2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm a scale-slave. I'm obsessed. Having said that, I weigh every day. Since the scale usually dictates my mood, I try to avoid it if it's PMS week or if I'm obviously retaining water for another reason.

Even though it sucks to be a slave to the scale, I do appreciate the benefits of daily weigh-ins. But, I can also see the benefits of weekly or monthly weigh-ins.

It boils down to the individual need.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote