Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Default choosing a new haircut to flatter my face

I've decided that to celebrate hitting onederland (only 7.2 lbs away!), which is my first mini-goal, I'm going to get a hair cut. A real hair cut. Like, not one I have a friend who "kind of" knows how to cut hair does for me, and not a walk-in at SuperCuts, but a real, honest-to-goodness haircut. It's a way of saying "I'm worth it!"

Two questions - how do I pick out a good hairstylist? Any recommendations? Just do some google searching and see if I can find someone who gets good reviews locally?

Secondly, I want a haircut that flatters my face shape, which is basically square. I have a pretty large forehead and then the angle of my jaw is square as well. Whenever I see photos of myself with my hair pulled back in a ponytail (I don't have bangs or anything like that) I think, "Whoa! Square face!" I know haircuts can really make a difference, but am not sure where to start in choosing one that would soften the angles. Any ideas?

Thanks everybody!
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Try googling. haircuts for square faces or something like that. If you see something you like print it out and take it to the hairdresser. Best way of finding a good hair dresser ? Word of mouth. I have asked total strangers where they got there haircut.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

You can search for hairstyles on YouTube
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Congrats, Cecilia!

Definitely google hairstyles for face shapes. And not only to read over, but to look at through google images or something of the like.

As for choosing a hair stylist, it might help to ask around if you know of anyone who gets their hair done more professionally. Otherwise, I would even stop by a few places and chat with one of the customer service reps for a few minutes (small chat, ask them about booking an appointment, fees, etc.) to get a feel for the place. Then pick one that feels best to you!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #5  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

there's a few websites where you can upload your image and then play around with different hairstyles. I've used TAAZ before, you can kind of see what you'll look like with a bob or long layers, etc.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266/238.1/130

Height: 5'1

I usually ask people who have hair like mine or a face like mine where they get their hair cut. So you could try that. Other than that, find someone who listens. Look on yelp. Go in with pictures. Be aggressive. Advocate for yourself.
ladykahlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266/238.1/130

Height: 5'1

And most of all, congratulations!
ladykahlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #8  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations on almost being there! I love your idea for a mini-goal reward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Try googling. haircuts for square faces or something like that. If you see something you like print it out and take it to the hairdresser. Best way of finding a good hair dresser ? Word of mouth. I have asked total strangers where they got there haircut.
I agree with this 100%. If you like someone's hair ask them where they go.

I stumbled onto my stylist. I had really long hair and had chosen a challenging shorter haircut. The first stylist refused to do it telling me that the other girl was better at it...and she was right!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #9  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Try googling 'square face hairstyles'. Jessica Alba, Kiera Knightly and Megan Fox are among the actresses that have square faces
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

SuperCecilia,

Yeah, definitely word of mouth for finding someone!

Are you going for a big change - long to short or something like that?

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 04-16-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the great advice everybody! I've done some google image searching and also youtube, spent some time on TAAZ, and am going to a check out a local salon the next time I am in town to talk to the stylists and look through some of their books.

Mountain Mamma - my hair is pretty long now (mid-back) and I don't want to lose all the length. It's naturally blond and wavy and probably one of my best features. DBF likes it long and I also want to be able to put it back into a ponytail for working out. But somewhat shorter (still past shoulders) and maybe some long layers which is supposed to soften the angles of the face.

Now I just have to make it to onederland!
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Google celebrities who's styles you admire and print them out to take with you. Ask for the stylist's advice. But be careful, sometimes stylists are super afraid to cut off long hair and would rather go safe than sorry. I always make sure when I'm doing a drastic cut to tell the stylist. "Don't worry if it gets too short, I'm trying to be daring! Even if it is too short it will grown in, let's make it work!"

And don't forget it, it's just hair, it will grow back.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #13  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Congrats on nearly getting to onederland!!

I think... Long-ish (grown out length) sweeping side fringes work, as do layers around the face. Highlights round the face also work to break things up a bit so the whole look's softer.

For hairstylists, go for a free consultation! If they try to charge you, walk out. If you don't think they're on your wavelength or are listening to what you say, say thanks but no thanks. I've disobeyed my own rule on this before and regretted it! If all seems good, book in for a wash & blow dry first before you let them at you with the scissors It'll give you a chance to work with the stylist and see if you "fit"

And no, I am not suspicious of hairstylists!! Lol
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote