Other 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 03:45 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 10/13-10/19

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=33124

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 10-13-2003, 03:46 AM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, there's 2 of them to read today, the first one is wonderful, the second one you need to read between the lines:

KNOW WHY

Most likely, you have a good idea of what you would like to do, and what you would like to accomplish. Do you know why? Behind every desire is a reason, and behind every reason is a purpose. Connect your desire with its deepest underlying purpose, and you'll connect with the strength necessary to achieve that desire.

Achievement requires much effort and commitment, time, energy, and persistence. You're absolutely capable of all that and more, when there's a real, meaningful purpose to what you're doing. But without a clear purpose, you're likely to become discouraged, bored, or frustrated into giving up. By contrast, with a strong, driving purpose behind your efforts you'll find a way to work through any challenge.

There is much you can learn from your dreams and desires, even before you begin to reach for them. Understand the reasons and the purpose behind those dreams, and you will gain a better understanding of who you are.

The more you know about yourself and about what drives you, the more effective every effort and every moment will become. Know why, and the road to your dreams will unfold with every step you take.

-- Ralph Marston

FROM WITHIN YOU

Whatever you seek to attain, seek first to attain it within you. Once it is truly within you, it will begin to expand throughout all of your experience.The value you create within you can never be lost. Every improvement you make in the quality of your consciousness will always be with you.

The dreams that you'll make real are the dreams that come from the deepest part of you. Nurture and build them first within you, and they'll become so powerful as to be undeniable.

When that which is within you is strong and meaningful, the positive energy will flow outward and can touch every part of your life. And nothing outside of you can diminish it.

Others can point the way and give encouragement. Yet ultimately, you are responsible for taking good care of your inner life. It is well worth the effort. For whatever you attain within, is surely who you truly are.

-- Ralph Marston
Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
194/1??/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 10-13-2003, 03:49 AM   #3  

THIS WEEKS CHALLENGES:

As usual we continue with to TRY AND GET IN AT LEAST 64 OUNCES OF WATER A DAY and TRY TO GET IN AT LEAST 3 DAYS WORTH OF EXERCISE and post it on the exercise board.

THIS WEEKS CHALLENGE:

Try to post at least ONE new recipe on our SB QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARD this week. Not a hard task to do, really.

Here's the link to the recipe boards:

RECIPE BOARDS
Old 10-13-2003, 03:55 AM   #4  

Just a quickie...

Going to try and get some sleep, another one of those nights AGAIN! What the heck is going on?? Two nights in a row-this stinks!

Will be on to post after I attempt to get in my sisters pool this morning - will I make a splash or will I do the chicken run????

Toodles

Deb
Old 10-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #5  

A quick good morning!

I have to cook dinner for 40 tonight, so I am going to be one busy Monet! Menu is chicken casserole, green beans, apple cake, tea and water. I think I will throw in some homemade bread as well.

DEB: Make a splash...it will do you good! No one is going to see you, so you shouldn't have a problem. If I can get in my pool and skinny dip, and you KNOW how bad I look, then you can get in your sisters pool with your Roaring 20's bathing costume on!

Everyone have a great day! I hope I can check in later!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:18 AM   #6  

Angry Happy Monday

Hi All

I was away on business all of last week. While away about 80 of us where I work were told our positions would be eliminated as of 12/31...and we have to reapply for any new positions. Needless to say I am a little stressed. Spent all weekend updating my resume...it's been 14 years since I've had to look. I've already sent in my resume for some of the new positions. I should be ok...I think I am fairly well thought of but you never know when something like this is going on in a company.

I've also had a major case of IBS. It's been going on for over 5 days now and is really bad. I'm hoping that by getting back to eating in my routine I will feel better.

Motivational thought for the day:

"My obligation is to do the right thing...the rest is in God's hands"

BOB: What a football weekend. Can anyone stop Georgia????

FRUIT and Gator: Did you go to the game?

Everyone else...I missed last week and will try to catch up with everyone this week. But as you can see from my messages above...I will be busy looking for a new job

Anna
Old 10-13-2003, 08:44 AM   #7  

BEACH: I am so sorry you have to deal with all this stress right now! I sure hope it all works out. I can't believe the way companies do things...eliminate all the jobs and make people reapply! Why don't they just move people around? Why stress them out in this way? I bet your IBS is directly connected. Be careful with the carbs. I have read that a low carb diet, like Atkins, can really improve IBS, and some doctors prescribe it for their patients. Perhaps cutting out wheat especially will help. I sometimes have problems with it, and I find cutting out wheat does help me. We are here for you!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:05 AM   #8  

Morning Again

Well, I did it. I went to my sister's pool. Can't say I was comfortable though. Before I even left the house I was squirming. I had one of those short unitards (gray) and it went above my knees. Well, I had flab hanging out and there was no way to pull the leg down to cover and hold it in. Once I was in the pool I didn't think much about it. I spent about 45-50 minutes in the pool. Thank goodness you don't forget how to swim in time - it's been over 20 years since I've swam. I'll try to go back on Wednesday again.

I'm tired. As you can see I was on the board in the wee hours of the morning. I kept waking up, looking at the clock, lying there, look at the clock-finally got out of bed and came on to post the new weekly board. Tried to go back to sleep and probably got in about 45 minutes before the alarm blasted.

Okay, believe it or not, I have to take this latest microwave back! The key pad is bubbling! What kind of luck do I have with stuff? I give up! I wish I could have mine fixed!!!

I have a bunch of other stuff to do today so I better get going with my posts before I have to make a run for it...

GRANT, definitely a small world! You have a drive to work each day -ick! I live in W. Kendall. Whereabouts do you work? So I take it you have a really cool accent. ROSALIE is from England originally, if I remember correctly-if I'm wrong, she still has that cool accent!!!

FRUIT, so there's still hope I guess! Remember, lay it on thick that he gets not only some great SB FOOD but STARBUCKS as well, not to mention a wife who will be having the time of her life with some of the best people she's ever met or going to met I do think highly of everyone, don't I?

GATOR, here's a message from MICHAEL:

Oui, c'est vrai! C'est pourquoi je vous envie! Les phrases des autres langues ne sont pas des équations, je sais. J'essaie de parler la langue avec mes amis, et je crois que je l'apprends plus vite comme ça. Je crois que mon problème, c'est le compréhension du français. De toute façon, peut-être j'apprends le francais plus maintenant avec mes amis qu'avant, dans la classe. Pour moi, tous les langues signifient beaucoup de fractions (pas comme un science). On dit toujours ces fractions. On ne croit pas qu'on dit "Comment ça va?" comme des elements séparés. C'est une pensée complète, et en conséquence un "fraction" complète. Ou quelque chose comme "n'est-ce pas?" comme tu dis. J'ai besoin d'apprendre ces fractions par coeur, je crois. Pas comme un science, mais comme une vraie langue! (Alors, je suis un homme des sciences et des mathématiques. Quoi faire?!) :P

---Michael

Glad you can understand him!!!

MOM, will e-mail you later Was nice talking to you last night. Get any reading done?

MONET, that's one thing I don't like, curry. I can't stand the smell of it. Reminds me of stinky armpits! Have a good day off, even though you are slaving over the stove. I made the plunge - literally!

MAGGIE Glad you've decided to join us. For only being on SB for 2 weeks and losing 11 pounds, OMG, that's unbelievable! Sounds like you are eating okay as far as the ww items go. Curious to know which ww saltines you've found-Barbaras? SB claims you don't have to count carbs, BUT, then they say approx 40% of your intake should be in the way of carbs, so if you don't keep track, how the heck do they think you'll know? Some things in the book are misleading, contradictory and confusing, but that's what we are here for, to help get through some of those things. Personally, I think keeping a food journal is very helpful in many ways. Love pizza? Why not make your own, you can have the crust made with ww Whereabouts in Texas are you? We have so many Texans on this board now - you're in good company

BEACH, sounds like you've been busy this past week. I can't believe they are going to make you re-apply for a position in the same company, but then again, when another hospital took over where my Dad had been working for umteen years as a pharmacist, they wanted everyone to re-apply. I'm hoping you will have no problem with the job and will be crossing my fingers for you:cross: Hope you feel better!

Okay kiddos, I'm outta here for the time being. I'll try to get on later today and do another post if the computer is free.

Toodles

Debbie
Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 AM   #9  

Just found this interesting article on AOL NEWS:

Stomach 'Pacemaker' May Suppress Appetite
By DANIEL Q. HANEY, AP

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Oct. 12) - A kind of pacemaker for the tummy, an implanted electrical device that fools the body into feeling full, appears to be an effective alternative to radical digestive surgery for helping obese people shed large amounts of weight.

If it proves out in larger studies, the experimental device could offer a new way to help very large people slim down when they cannot lose weight on diets or with appetite-suppressing drugs. Researchers Sunday presented preliminary data on the usefulness of the approach, which has already been tested on 450 people to show its safety.

A surgical team performs gastric bypass surgery. A new experimental device could offer an alternative to the dangerous procedure. (KRT)

Surgical techniques that shrink the stomach and reroute the digestive tract are the only highly reliable way to make obese people lose weight. However, this is major surgery that carries significant risk, including a 1 percent chance of death, and researchers are searching for ways to do the job more safely.

The new device is called an implantable gastric stimulator and is similar to a cardiac pacemaker. But instead of stimulating the heart, this one is attached to the wall of the stomach and is intended to reduce feelings of hunger.

The researchers implanted the devices in 30 obese women and men whose average weight was 242 pounds. Their average body mass index, or BMI, was 42. The healthy cutoff for the height-to-weight ratio is 25; 30 is considered obese.

After a year with the implant, two-thirds of the volunteers had lost weight. The average was an 18 percent drop in their excess weight.

''The results are promising, although we still have a long way to go,'' said Dr. Scott Shikora. ''I believe in my heart this is a very exciting breakthrough in our field.''

Shikora, head of bariatric surgery at Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston, presented the study in Fort Lauderdale at the annual scientific meeting of the American Association for the Study of Obesity. It was financed by the device's developer, Transneuronix Inc. of Mt. Arlington, N.J.

The system uses an electrical pulse generator, a little larger than a silver dollar, that is placed under the skin in the abdomen and connected to the stomach with two wires. Implanting it takes less than an hour and is done as an outpatient laproscopic procedure.

''These early findings are exciting,'' said Dr. Samuel Klein of Washington University, the obesity association's president. ''This is a potential new approach for the management of obesity that is separate from drugs or surgery.''

The device is already on the market in Europe but is still several years away from Food and Drug Administration approval in the United States. Steven Adler, Transneuronix's executive vice president, said the company hopes in a few months to begin a study on 120 patients that will take two years to complete.

After installing the pacemaker, doctors crank up the power until patients feel unpleasant symptoms, such as nausea or cramps, then turn it down a bit until all sensation disappears.

''They don't feel a buzzing or a pain,'' Shikora said. ''They just don't have an appetite, or they get full very quickly. Some say, 'I don't know what it is. I just eat different now.'''

Weight reduction varied widely. While about one-third in the study lost nothing, some had stunning success. One patient lost 104 percent of her excess weight, meaning she now weighs slightly less than her ideal.

Some have wondered whether the benefits are due to a placebo effect, since patients wanted to lose weight and knew they were being treated. However, one patient's experience suggests not.

After getting the device, she failed for a year and a half to lose weight. Then doctors discovered one of the wires had come loose. After they reattached it, she dropped almost 100 pounds.

''If there was placebo effect, she should have lost weight at the get go, not after 18 months,'' Shikora said.

The device is hooked near the stomach's major nerves. Surgeons are still unsure exactly why it deadens appetite. Possibilities include an impact on the nerves, changes in digestive hormones or direct stimulation of stomach muscles.

So far, there have been no reports of deaths or serious complications resulting from the pacemaker, Shikora said.

Surgery to help people lose weight is now one of the fastest growing operations in the United States and will be done on an estimated 100,000 people this year. About 10 percent of patients have serious complications, such as hemorrhage, pneumonia, infection and blood clots.

"What will they think of next?"
Old 10-13-2003, 09:21 AM   #10  

Good Morning to you all. I am happy to report that I stayed on plan the entire weekend while eating out (this is a first in a long time). I got to meet Missy and her husband and JackK for lunch yesterday. It was so nice. They are all FABULOUS. Missy is HYSTERICAL. We definitely need to coax her husband into leeting her host a get together at her house. JackK is super sweet and looks FANTASTIC. (I can't believe she is in her 50's). She is also at my goal weight, so she is inspirational. I will try not to hate her too much.(That would be impossible). Missy's husband was a trooper and didn't roll his eyes even once while we were talking SB. I can't wait to meet more of you!!!!!!!!! I am going to start using my real name(Ashley) on this board, in order to avoid confusion, since we already have a Jackie.

Deb- Good job on the swimming. That's great exercise. I am SURE you are exaggerating the flab in the swimsuit. Be easier on yourself, I am sure you look great!

Beach- I will be thinking of you during this stressful time and hope things work out for the best!

Monet- have a good day. Your menu sounds YUMMY.

Good morning to Colleen, CountryMom, Nat, heartmom, SuperDave, Grant, Emma, BOB, Fillise, Missy, Jackie, SEF, Quilter, and whoever else my memory is failing me on...... Talk to you later, Ashley
Old 10-13-2003, 10:58 AM   #11  

Good morning everyone. Well, my grand plans of eating right over the week-end lasted until Friday at dinner. We went out for Mexican food with some friends and let's just say it went downhill from there. But, as they say, today is a new day.

Bob - Did you see my Longhorns? I'm not sure where they were because they sure weren't at the game. I think Mack Brown's days may be numbered. He's a great recruiter, gets some of the best talent in the country but they've been saying for years that he's not really that good of a coach. I'm beginning to agree.

Missy, Ashley and Jackie - So glad you guys had a great time. Missy, my husband wasn't all that crazy about me meeting up with people either, but I think he's adjusted slowly.

Welcome to all the new guys. We are definitely not like some of those cranky boards, well except when our football teams lose.

Emma - I thought about you yesterday. Glad we didn't scare you off.

Superdave - How about those Cowboys!!?? I can't stand the Eagles and of all the games for them to win, this was a great one!

Well, I actually better get some work done. Talk to ya'll soon.

Trish
Old 10-13-2003, 11:04 AM   #12  
Goddess

Default Good Monday Morning!!!!!

Morning all!

I'm trying to get the week off to a productive start work-wise. For some reason if I don't get much done on Monday--I don't get much done the entire rest of the week!

Jackie0--It sounds like you had a wonderful time with Jackie and Missy!!!! Did y'all take pictures?

Deb--Keep swimming--it's excellent for toning those muscles! I saw a piece on the Today show this morning about the new surgery. It looked interesting--I like the fact that it is reversable!

Monet--Sounds like you will be busy today! Cooking for 40 is quite a task--good luck!!!!!

Anna--So sorry to hear about your job woes and your IBS. HMMMM, is there a connection? I know both are a pain in the you-know-what, but the first one might be a blessing in disguise in that it is good to reevaluate after a while and have to see your self again. It makes you focus on what you do well and perhaps helps you to find areas where you might be able to excell!

BOB--I just have to offer my condolences to you on that game on Saturday. Those games where your team just can't do anything right are the worst! Even though I'm a UGA alum, a part of me was rooting for UT because I wanted you to have something to celebrate after last week. Sigh. Remember that we love you!!!

Have a good week everyone!

Susan
Old 10-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #13  

Hey guys just a quick note to say hello! Im babysitting this morning for one of my nieces. The other one (they are twins) is at the dr. with possible chicken pox. that means if it is, Im sure Dominic will have them next! had a pretty good weekend. saturday night we went to Outback for our anniversary and then went out with a bunch of friends. I had a steak and veggies..and a salad with blue cheese. i probably shouldnt of had blue cheese but theirs is soooo good! I almost made cheesecake last night but went in the fridge and only had 2 eggs...I was bummed. I guess I will wait until next weekend. I only bake on weekends.

DEB - Good for you taking the plunge. Thats the best excersise i think. It really gets your heart pumping. No sleep again? You best go take a nap..well maybe you shouldnt it may cause another sleepless night. Thanks for explaining the pitas to me!

TRISH - Im with you, I cant stand the Eagles either. Im so glad they got beat at the last minute!

JACKIEO - So glad you guys had a great time, cant wait to see pictures.

Gotta run guys...I have two 2 year olds today!

Chris
Old 10-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #14  

Hi,

This is the time to be in NC. The weather is fabulous and the trees have finally turned beautiful colors. My husband and I drove up to the Blue Ridge Pwy yesterday and actually took about an hour's hike. It was a perfect day. Now, if I could only get busy with journaling again and stick with 2-3 carbs a day.

Debbie: Hey, I am proud of you for taking the dive! I wish I had a "safe" place to swim. I understand changing up the exercise routine is suppose to be really good. Is that what you are doing with substituting some swimming for the walking? Your pita bread looked marvelous!

Monet: Please tell me more about the chicken casserole. I am always looking for good recipes. Why are you cooking for 40?

JackieO: Meeting people from the board is really lots of fun. There is always so much to talk about!

Trish: I think my husband was a little surprised at first about me wanting to meet people from the board, also. However, he has seen what a great time I have with all of you that I have met and then he met Debbie and fell for her at once.
Oh, I looked up some information about the Aunt Gussie's and there seems to be several Kroger's that carry them or can get them for you. I don't know if I am really doing you a favor by telling you, though. Actually I am able to control the servings on them whereas I have trouble with the Spelt sesame sticks.

I have the sewing machine out and plan to hem some jeans, take up the waist in some others and do some repairs. Fun, HUH?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #15  

Good Monday morning:

We did manage to get our garage sale in on Sat/Sun, but was a pretty slow weekend. After gas, ice, lunches both days....we managed to make $250, which will be going toward replacing our camcorder. I was not very good with my eating and ate stuff just out of boredom. I did eat some cookies and candy and then had 2 of my dd's mozz. sticks from Sonic and some FF, plus a bunch of legal stuff (but way too much on portions). I am up to 124 today to show for it, but hope to be at or below 123 for WIW.

My dd is out of school today for Columbus day, so we are going to go to the 99cent store so she can spend some of her money and I can buy some paper plates & cups for our MOMS Club Halloween party in a few weeks. I also need to drop off some stuff at charity, drop off some film at Costco and get to Kohl's for their grand opening here. Also need to take oldest dd to doctor at 1:30 today.

Anyway.....on with some replies:

Deb: Your sister is really lucky to have not lost her child in that pool while the fence was down. You can't be too careful with that kind of stuff. My parents live in an area of town that was "grandfathered" so they are not required to have a fence around the pool. I NEVER leave my children with my mom. It's not because I don't trust her.....I don't trust the kids around water. Britt is now fine; she has taken swim lessons, and is not drawn to water like babies are. I worked too darn hard getting pregnant and carrying my babies to term to let them go that easily; it literally takes a second. Thanks for the info. on the corn starch; I didn't think it was allowed; thanks for the other ideas as well. How cute for Michael to get in on your post. That was interesting to read. Glad you got out into the pool and got some swimming in; are you sore yet? Sorry to hear about having to return the new microwave!

Monet: Glad you enjoyed your dinners out; sounds as if you did pretty good, overall. How long has your dh been on SB? How has he done? Good luck preparing that large dinner tonight!!

chrisd: I am sure that your uncle is our neighbor! We live in the New River area, which is about 15 minutes from Cave Creek. Cave Creek is between New River (us) and Scottsdale (where your uncle used to live). If you ever come visit, we will have to meet up.

Ken: I have found some tasty recipes on this board. I made some meatballs last night for the first time and had them with wheat pasta. Everyone seemed to like them o.k. I haven't burned rice yet, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I boil eggs, I forget about them and all the water is gone by the time I realize it.

dobe: WELCOME; we look forward to getting to know you.

Mom2jared: I am not a doctor, but can tell you from experiences of those that I know in your condition; you will benefit greatly from SB. It is amazing to me that a lot of nutritionist today are stilll recommending several fruit portions per day to diabetics, discounting the high amounts of natural sugars. I am sure you will do great. Make sure to ask any questions you have along the way.

Grant: Welcome. It sounds as if you have done fantatic on SB, and should have no problem at all dropping those final 17 pounds. We look forward to getting to know you.

Maggie: Welcome! How awesome to have a place that will make you a pizza without a crust. I am one of the guilty who picks off the toppings and throws away the crust....how wasteful, but we truly live in a wasteful society. I cannot believe the size of restaurant portions, especially for children. My Lord! Good luck to you!

beach: Good luck finding a new position; sorry to hear you have to go through this after so many years of job security.

Ashley: Way to stay OP all weekend; I wish I could say the same!!

Trishaloo: Today's a new day . That's what I have to keep telling myself. I've had a bowl of oatmeal with agave and flax seed meal and a few nuts this morning. I am going to have a great week!!!

Have a good day; I hope to check in later when we return from our errand crazed day!!!

Nat
Closed Thread