Old 04-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #1  
I hate gravity

Default Medifast and hunger

I was wondering for those of you doing Medifast - I know you have 6 mini meals on the weight loss phase, but is hunger really controlled? Or at least tolerable?
I'm considering Medifast. I tried it back in the 80's when it was only liquid protein drinks and got violently sick on day 3. Now they offer real food. What is an average daily calorie level on the program? And is it easy to stick to?
Thanks.
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #2  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

I'm on day 15 of Medifast and can honestly say I haven't been hungry once since starting the plan. In fact some days I have to force myself to get my final meal in at the end of the day ( MF frowns on skipping meals). That isn't to say I haven't had cravings - but cravings and hunger are two different things...

The daily calories will vary depending upon your lean & green meal. MF meals are 110 calories each, for a total of 550 calories. I try to keep my L&G meal to under 600 calories, so I'm under 1200 calories per day.

I had never tried Medifast before this. I had tried another low carb diet about 10 years ago that made me violently ill on day three too. Medifast puts you in a very mild state of Ketosis, as opposed to severe Ketosis that comes with the very low carb diets. So far (day 15) I've had no nausea, no headache, no dizziness, and no hunger.

I've only been tempted to cheat when emotions came up that I would have previously comforted with food, or when I've had a craving for something off plan. I've learned how to curb those cravings (so far), and work through the emotions without food, so no cheating yet. As of my weight in yesterday I'm down 9.9 pounds.

Good luck!!!
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #3  
I hate gravity

@SuperHero Thanks for the quick reply. One other thing concerns me before I shell out the cash for the meals. I just read one post about how bad some of the meals taste. Have you had any problems with that?
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Once you are in ketosis, you should not be hungry. I did Medifast last year and it was very easy to do. I loved the 5+1 program since there was little time I had to spend thinking about preparing food.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #5  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
@SuperHero Thanks for the quick reply. One other thing concerns me before I shell out the cash for the meals. I just read one post about how bad some of the meals taste. Have you had any problems with that?
YES!!! I found the soups disgusting. My counselor recommended I try them again in a month or so because taste preferences change after being on plan for awhile. I was really bummed because I love soup.

The crunch bars are fantastic! My favorites are the S'mores, mint chocolate (tastes just like a thin mint), and the Lemon.

I also love the shakes - the mocha shake has permanently replaced my morning trip to Starbucks. I freeze a Dutch chocolate shake for about 90 minutes and its replaced my nightly ice cream treat. I'm thinking about actually putting it in the ice cream machine to see if I can get that texture.

The crackers (snack, not a meal) are good if you're craving something crunchy. The puff balls are just okay. I'm going to try them again in a few weeks - maybe I won't expect them to taste like Cheetos by then

I've stayed away from the Mac & cheese and pancakes based on reviews I read on these boards. I have some of the cereal, but haven't tried it yet.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I was hungry for the first 3 or 4 days, but it wasn't terrible. Now I am only hungry during PMS

Some of the foods are not so good at first, but your taste buds do change. There are a lot of different meals and you can pick the ones you like. I have reviewed almost every Medifast meal on my blog.

In general, MOST people like:
Chocolate mint crunch bars
Peanut butter crunch bars
Smores crunch bars
Chocolate shakes
Hot cocoa
Brownies and Soft Bake cookies

Seems a lot of people also like the chicken noodle soup and sloppy joe.

The ones I hear people complain about most are the oatmeals, the eggs, the teas, and the chili. But I happen to really like the brown sugar oatmeal and chili.

I think the cinnamon cereal is fantastic!! The orange drink is also excellewnt, like Tang.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 287/245/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroTeacher View Post

The crunch bars are fantastic! My favorites are the S'mores, mint chocolate (tastes just like a thin mint), and the Lemon.
If you have the MF blender, ninja or something like the magic bullet, crush 1/2 c of ice, 1/2c water and mix with the shake and it comes out like a Wendy's Frosty.
GETTINGTOGOALIN2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255 / 230 / 185

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I was wondering for those of you doing Medifast - I know you have 6 mini meals on the weight loss phase, but is hunger really controlled? Or at least tolerable?
I'm considering Medifast. I tried it back in the 80's when it was only liquid protein drinks and got violently sick on day 3. Now they offer real food. What is an average daily calorie level on the program? And is it easy to stick to?
Thanks.
I'm moving in to month 3 on MF and can honestly say after the first week I have not felt hunger pangs except when I'm late for my MF meal. I set alarms on my droid phone that go off every 2.5 hours to tell me to eat. It's so funny; if I'm in a meeting my coworkers will actually bring me my bar if my alarm goes off while I'm not at my desk.

I can tell when I'm late for a meal - that is the only time I have any feeling of hunger. My body just seemed to adapt quickly. But, that first week I have to say I did feel hunger because I was used to grazing all day long and going for 2.5 hours was a lot at first. Now though - it's a breeze.
YvonneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255 / 230 / 185

Height: 5' 5"

YvonneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #10  

I am in week 5 and I've often been hungry during the night because I have horrible insomnia and thus am awake....I eat a MF bar and it hasn't hurt my weight loss. Of course, I don't know if I would've lost an extra few ounces or even a lb if I didn't do this (not every night, maybe 3x a wk), but I am happy with being down 12 in 4 wks.

Last edited by duckdame; 05-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.
duckdame is offline   Reply With Quote