Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Question about exercise and weight loss.

Hey All..

So I am wanting to start doing weights using just free weights at home for my arms. I have a treadmill at home that i can use for walking, but I am wanting to do arm weights because I am having WLS in 6 months and I am going to end up losing weight, but I am concerned because i know that weight lost over a faster time frame equals loose skin...However ,I know that I need to keep my BMI down..its already at 40..So I am concerned that if I do weights then I will gain "muscle weight" on the scale and in turn my BMI will go higher...So what do i do?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

What is your diet like? If you are eating at a decent calorie deficiency, you'll burn fat fast enough to offset any muscle gained and will have a net loss.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
What is your diet like? If you are eating at a decent calorie deficiency, you'll burn fat fast enough to offset any muscle gained and will have a net loss.
This^^.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #4  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

Also I`ve been told that gaining muscle mass is really hard, it`s not that you`ll gain it in a few weeks, but that it rather takes time and lifting heavy. That`s what I`ve heard at least!
Good luck with the weightloss!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

For women, significant muscle gains are harder, and come not just from workouts, but (like men) come from the kitchen... such as eating protein following a workout.

Use weights to build strength, but I wouldn't worry about building excessive muscle mass.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #6  
Empress/Queen

As long as it is okay with your doctor, it seems like building a habit of using weights to build strength would be a good idea.

And as everyone has said, there is really no worry about building excessive muscle mass. That is very hard to do for females, but there are a lot of benefits to resistance training (that includes bands and body weight exercises also if you wanted to experiment).
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote